The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: D3 Designs Front Strut Brace for 8th gen. Galants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

D3 Designs Front Strut Brace for 8th gen. Galants

I've expressed my interest in having D3 Designs produce a one piece front strut brace that attached to the firewall for extra strength. Something similiar to the OEM brace installed in the Eclipse GT. They're interested in producing one however, due to lack of interest aren't able to. If they had a minimum of 36 people interested in this item being produced, D3 would then consider producing it! There would be a deposit of $75 deposit per order. If anyone is interested, please visit www.dthreedesigns.com or call 310-428-7716. Together, perhaps we'll be able to have another item available for our vehicles. Thanks for taking the time to view this post. I'll post something similar on Galant Speed as well.

how about someone get a quote and start a group buy over the 3 forums? ppl who has or does not have a strut bar will definitely be interested especially if it bolts up to the firewall.

i know this came up on club 3g a long time ago when the i4 owners wanted the GT strut bar in their 3g's. and thats the bracket. on the eclipse's with the factory strut bar, there is a bracket that is welded onto the firewall. so thats how thats attached to the firewall. i don't know what is behind the firewall that might add up strength.

now here's the deal. if we do get this strut bar that goes to the firewall, how are we going to attach it to the firewall? drill holes and screw them in? weld in a bracket? is that place where we attach the strut bar have enough support there that it owuld make that extra mounting point worth it??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Way back, like 2 years ago, they started making one for the Galant and then stopped. I used to have a picture of the prototype. I don't understand why they couldn't finish it after the time they already put into it. Anyway, at that time, I believe they mentioned something about a bracket that you would have to screw in to the firewall which the strut brace would connect to... or atleast I know they said something about having to screw into the firewall.

For the price that they charge for their front strut brace, we will not get 36 people interested. Most people would rather pay less for a Freedom Design bar or the OEM Eclipse one.

I once ordered an Edelbrock strut tower brace for my 84 Camaro, part # 5226, which also connected to the firewall, however, the brace came with additional pieces the enabled you to attach it to the cowl which over hanged just above the firewall and below the winshield. If I remember correctly, you would have to drill to holes down into the cowl horizontally and then attach it using a steel plate provided with the bar, So you would now place the bolts that were also included, down through the holes drilled then through the bar included. The bolts would be fastened in place with washers and nuts! To better understand this, go to www.edelbrock.com, and click on automotive parts, then suspension components to the left, then locate Strut Tower braces on top to view it! Perhaps this could be the soulution to attaching it to the firewall! I'll have to check under the hood of my Galant to confirm that it has something similar to what the Camaro has the brace attached to the firewall!

Well I've checked under the hood of a 2002 Galant, and there is a "lip" that runs the length of the firewall just below the vehicle identification tag on the passenger side of the vehicle. It sticks out about an inch or so. If this is an ideal location structurally as well as being benificial for handling improvement, I don't see why the brace couldn't be attached at that point by drilling two holes through that lip, installing a short steel support plate below or above that lip, that has two pre-drilled holes as to line up with the holes drilled through the lip (this support plate would be added for additional strength). Then install two bolts through the holes (in the lip, support plate and bracket on the strut brace). This is assuming that the bar was already manufactured with a "plate or bracket" already welded to it that would line up with the holes drilled through the "lip", otherwise, if bolting it to the firewall is not an option, then welding the bar to the firewall would most likley be the only other option!

I received an e-mail from D3 Designs regarding cost of the front strut brace if produced. The final cost is estimated to be $150! I was assured that the FSTB would be the best designed brace for the 8th generation Galant on the market! I should be submitting my $75 down payment either today or tommorrow! If anyone else is interested, please contact D3 sales team as well!

Why would you give them a $75 deposit? Chances are you will be asking for it back real soon because 36 people aren't going to get in on this. I would love to buy it, but there are only a couple of us that would.

I sent a follow up e-mail with my concerns regarding the following situation; if less then 36 people had sent the $75 deposit and D3 Designs decides not to produce the brace due to lack of interest, would the $75 deposit be refunded? I'm awaiting a response and will post once I've recieved it! I've also posted on the Club 3G web site, knowing Eclipse RS/GS owners may be able to use the same bar as well. Why do you think not enough people would be interested? I'm playing Devil's advocate here!

the RS/GS owners can't use a galant's front strut bar if it connects to the firewall because on the 3g, there is less room there than the 8g does. thats why when we put the 3g bar on, it doesn't reach the firewall.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

pinoyesv6, I understand that when the OEM strut brace for the Eclipse GT/GTS is installed on the Galant, it's not possible to attach it to the firewall due to the space beteween the firewall and the bar. I know because I've a brand new bar (part # MR468848)still in the box because of this. Anyone interested, $30! Anyway, regarding a strut bar that could be used for both applications, I thought perhaps fabrications or additional alterations could be done to accoplish this. I'm not familiar with the process of manufacturing a strut bar, so I'm guessing! I'll have to find out additional information from D3 Designs regarding a duel purpose brace I suppose!

Just to bring all up to date regarding the D3 Designs front strut bar, I've spoken with James at D3 regarding a few inquires about the bar; if a deposit is taken and the minimum of 36 people is not reached, the deposit will be refunded! Also, I asked how the bar would be attached to the firewall, and James stated that most likely it would be "bolted" to the firewall however, this would have to be confirmed by the D3 engineering team. And the bar would not be "dual purpose", for the Eclipse and Galant. It would be exclusively for the 99-04 Galant. If anyone knows of a local Galant shop or any shop that may be interested in this, have them contact D3 Designs! This would help in generating more interest in having the bar produced!

Well, of course they won't make the bar for both the Eclipse and Galant, seeing that the firewall is farther away in the Galant and D3 already makes a bar for the Eclipse. And I hope they meant that the bar would be for the '99-'03 Galants because the '04 is a 9G.

Danger DANJ, thanks for pointing out my error of including the 04 Galant!

Quest continues! On the advice of a club member, I got in touch with Mike W. at Road Race Engineering regarding them producing the one piece front strut brace. They're willing however, require a donor car (99-03 Galant) in order to manufacture one correctly. I didn't have a problem using my vehicle, but I reside in New York and Road Race is located in Santa Fe Springs CA! Is there anyone who resides in or around 13022 La Dana Ct., Santa Fe Springs Ca. 90670? If so, contact Mike at 562-777-1522 for details!

MOCHANGES had a few of these... u should see if he still has any for sale. i think CALI was selling one also.

Reelax, does the strut brace your referring to, attach to the firewall?

Experienced TGC Member
    if i'm not mistaken, its a single bolt on to the struts.... not firewall

but i could be wrong... i think i'm right though.
    -Chris

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quicksilver22)</div><div class='quotemain'>if i'm not mistaken, its a single bolt on to the struts.... Â*not firewall

but i could be wrong... i think i'm right though.</div>

ding ding ding, your right.

it doesnt bolt to the firewall, but out of all the strut bars, it is the most ridgid, since it has no adjustability. i believe they are very rare now, only two guys i know that have them are NelsonC a.k.a Axion and Mochanges

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quicksilver22)</div><div class='quotemain'>if i'm not mistaken, its a single bolt on to the struts.... Â*not firewall

but i could be wrong... i think i'm right though.</div>

ding ding ding, your right.

it doesnt bolt to the firewall, but out of all the strut bars, it is the most ridgid, since it has no adjustability. i believe they are very rare now, only two guys i know that have them are NelsonC a.k.a Axion and Mochanges</div>

u didn't notice the one under my hood? i had the first one (RRE STB) on this board...

and no it doesn't reach the firewall... i didn't know mike at RRE was even entertaining making one that attached to the firewall. from my understanding, he wasn't interested in making anymore STB's of any design for the galant since they don't sell that well.

for reference, here is my RRE STB (along w/ the discontinued 1st gen pre-RD INJEN CAI) circa '01?:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast