The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Civic Lip Project [56K Warning - Pic Heavy]

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 161
    where do u get the fiberglass cloth sheets?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Walmart. THey are a bit hard to worth with since they are flimsy, but its not too bad
    7g for life!

Looks great so far. I've been in dire search of a lip like this as I dont really like the extreme looking aftermarket bumpers for our cars. I like to keep it stock looking as the stock bumpers lines I think fit the car perfectly.

Keep us updated on your progress...remember pics (and tutorial!!)
    2001 Galant I4 Dover Pearl

Mods:
    Injen CAI
    GC Coilovers
    18x8.5 ADR M-Classics
    225/40HR Kumho Ectsa Supra's
    Nokya H4 Headlights
    Clear Corners
    Reverse Indiglo Guages

Soon to Come...
    Apexi N-1 Exhaust
    x2 JL Audio W6 Subs

Censee
    Quote Originally Posted by neel9
    where do u get the fiberglass cloth sheets?
    home depot....

i get mine at autozone. cheapest i've found them..

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

so just look fo5r some fibergalss cloth sheets and some resin right?

Update - initial layer of fiberglass dried - test fit 03/07/05:

Quote Originally Posted by neel9
    so just look fo5r some fibergalss cloth sheets and some resin right?
    To start out - I suggest you try the "Bondo Fiberglass Repair Kit" - has all the stuff you need to start out: Sheet of fibglass cloth, resin, hardener, mixing tray, instructions

i am going to go to homedepot or walmart and check it out.. thankx..

did you just span the gap with the fiberglass or did you drill holes in the lip and covered the holes and the gap.

i learned this first hand, fiberglass and plastic don't go together. if you just spanned the gap, then when hte temperatures change the plastic will change a lil bit too and the fiberglass will fall off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>did you just span the gap with the fiberglass or did you drill holes in the lip and covered the holes and the gap.

i learned this first hand, fiberglass and plastic don't go together. if you just spanned the gap, then when hte temperatures change the plastic will change a lil bit too and the fiberglass will fall off.</div>

I just spanned the gap with fiberglass with the metal mesh underneath - please elaborate on the holes thingy.

hey so the brownish thing is fiberglass right?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just spanned the gap with fiberglass with the metal mesh underneath - please elaborate on the holes thingy.</div>

fiberglass doesn't stick to abs. once the fiberglass is cured you can probably just snap the fiberglass u just did clean off. but don't do it! just saying

what you want to do is near the edges of the cut in the lip. drill some fairly nice size holes. i suggest doing this with the lip off of the car.

then just fiberglass like u would normally. making sure you fiberglass both sides.

pretty much what you are doing is having the fiberglass and resin from both sides meet and form a sort of key that locks the two materials together.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey so the brownish thing is fiberglass right?</div>

its fiberglass and resin

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just spanned the gap with fiberglass with the metal mesh underneath - please elaborate on the holes thingy.</div>

fiberglass doesn't stick to abs. once the fiberglass is cured you can probably just snap the fiberglass u just did clean off. but don't do it! just saying

what you want to do is near the edges of the cut in the lip. drill some fairly nice size holes. i suggest doing this with the lip off of the car.

then just fiberglass like u would normally. making sure you fiberglass both sides.

pretty much what you are doing is having the fiberglass and resin from both sides meet and form a sort of key that locks the two materials together.</div>

Okay, I see what you are saying - I'll have to do that tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

Looks great, Ill have to consider doing this until I can afford a jdm front.
    How much does the lip for the civic cost?
    Oh and I think colormatched would look better, although you do have black rims so its a tough call.
    -Andrew
    RIP: 02 8G Galant....

Current:
    06 Evo IX MR SE
    DD: 94 NA8 Miata

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrewPinoy85)</div><div class='quotemain'>How much does the lip for the civic cost?</div>

You can find the same lip I got on e-bay for around 50-75 shipped.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>NEEL, CAN YOU PLEASE TAKE A PIC OF THE ENTIRE BUMPER WITH THE LIP ON IT SO I CAN POST IT ON THE LIST...</div>

dude what u talking about?.. list of my bumper??..</div>

Post Pics of your bumper with the LIP.

Great progress on that extension job.
    -Pedro

a lil tip if you are buying a lip. try to get the urethane ones over the abs ones. i was reading on CSI and they were saying how people were having problems with the ABS ones cracking upon impact. they don't have as much problems with the urethane ones.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    piony, any updates?
    -Pedro

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>piony, any updates?</div>

Pretty soon - right now I've got a layer of bondo-glass which I am trying to shape. Will try and post some pics soon. It's actually turning out pretty good, but if I did it again, I would do a few things differently.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast