The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: timing belt question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31

timing belt question!

Does anyone here know how to replace it?And the price for v6 belt?ALso what all extra do you have to take off to get to it? Mine needs to be done soon!

MrDomu
    You need to post if you have an I4 or V6 and year.

But, I didnt do mine myself. Paid the dealer $578 w/tax, for timming belt, the outside belts,and new sparkplugs on a V6.

SuperchargedGTZ
    i would suggest that you dont do this....let the dealer do it. this isnt something that you wanna mess up.

just my suggestion though

Yeah I agree with GTZ27 you fuck it up and your in deeper than you were before you messed with it. I would just take it to the dealer this way if something goes wrong you just bring it back and have them fix it.
    The First Supercharged 4cyl Galant!!!!!!!!

www.rippmods.com

Before there were any, there was me.

Just my 2 cents
    The First Supercharged 4cyl Galant!!!!!!!!

www.rippmods.com

Before there were any, there was me.

Big H Killa
    The only way I would even recommend doing this is if you know what you're doing when it comes to timing. Plus you would need a timing light and there's a few things you need to take off. If you really want to do this yourself goto www.thegalantcenter.com home page and there is an 8G manual to download from there and it tells you step by step on how to do it. But like everyone else said be very careful before you decide to do this yourself. And to MrDomu he has a V6 if you read his post again. And if he's posting in the 8G forum it's obvious he has an 99-02 and there's nothing different about the timing on any of the engines between these years b/c they are all the same engine's.

in the tutorials section of TGC there is a copy of the service manual. u can look @ that for a quick reference on how to do it. but be warned, its a very long process and shouldn't be one of those things that u do and finish half ass, things need to be percise. even if you can't afford to let the dealer do it, maybe a local certified mechanic can probably do a better job than u can if you are still weary about doing it

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

BlueESV6
    My dealer said it was like a 4-5 hour job on the V6 and in the $400-500 range. Because of the hassle factor and that you can do serious damage to the engine if done wrong... definitely let a pro handle it!

Big H Killa
    But you gotta think that 400-500 will drop if you don't change the spark plugs out because that's like a 3 hour job so u know. But maybe you have to take the pieces off of the V6 the same way you would the for the spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big H Killa
    But you gotta think that 400-500 will drop if you don't change the spark plugs out because that's like a 3 hour job so u know. But maybe you have to take the pieces off of the V6 the same way you would the for the spark plugs.
    the 4-5 hundred dollars most likely doesn't include the spark plugs. uhm the timing belt is on the side of the motor and the spark plugs are kinda on the top so most likely most of the parts won't really overlap as for removal wise. the dealer might hook u up if u do both @ teh same time since timing belts should be replaced @ around 60k and so do the platinum plugs the v6's have

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Gilhuly
    The plugs and timing belt on the V6 are in fact in pretty different areas. I did the plugs on my V6 and would say not to attempt that if you don't have some tools and some confidence. Timing belt - NFW (first word is no and last word is way). You can actually get a good look at your timing belt though pretty easily. The upper front timing belt cover is right up on top in the front of the engine bay passenger's side coming off the side of the valve cover (silver cover that says V6 24 Valve). Take a couple bolts off and you can pull it out a couple inches and inspect the condition of the belt. I have 75K currently and while my belt doesn't look new, there's not a blemish or a crack on it anywhere. I'm going to let it ride for a while. If my water pump starts to leak, I'll do it (have it done) all at the same time.

Thanks for the input guys! I wouldnt change belt myself! Just trying to figure ouy how to save money by maybe buying belt and have mechanic do it for me.I was thinking of changing my plugs myslef to save money and maybe put in iridium!But if you ave to mess with plenum to change belt ill just let them do it.Dealer wants way to much her in San Bernardino,ca. I wll call ontario,ca dealer and see if its the same.If only this car was as easy as a 83 colt( mitsu too) to work on.I can do a lot on that car.

Big H Killa
    When I was talking about most of the money is costing to do the spark plugs. I wasn't talking about the cost of the spark plugs. I was talking about the at very least 1 1/2 hour of labor you paying for to take the plenum off and then the other 1 1/2 to put it back on. Now you tell me for three hours just of labor how much is a dealership gonna cost. I wasn't talking about the sparkplugs them selves.

Gilhuly
    You don't have to mess w/ the plenum to do the timing belt, but you do need to take off just about everything off the left side of the motor. If you can get the TB done for less than $300 from someone you have confidence in you're doing great.

Big H Killa
    Gilhuly he got a quote from the dealership if you read his first post for doing The Spark Plugs the Timing Belt and Something Else. I'm just saying it would probably be alot cheaper if he didn't have the spark plugs done because off all the labor involved putting new spark plugs in, in the V6. I'm not saying you have to take the plenum off to fix the Timing belt. I'm just saying if you cut out the spark plugs right now it should be a couple hundred cheaper because there's gonna be alot less labor.

sebring95
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have 75K currently and while my belt doesn't look new, there's not a blemish or a crack on it anywhere. Â*I'm going to let it ride for a while. Â*If my water pump starts to leak, I'll do it (have it done) all at the same time.</div>

Looks don't necessarily mean a lot on a timing belt. While you could detect if it's getting worn and the teeth might start stripping off, but generally a belt suffers a massive malfunction. Usually just snaps in one particular place that is weak. I wouldn't press it too far on these, as they are interference engines and saving money for a few months won't be squat compared to cracking the engine open.

sheefo2k
    i m doing mine right now at the dealer bro

well i m donig the 60, 000 milesone and it costed me aroudn 840 something aroudn that

hey thanks for the prices and other stuff i need my plugs and timing belt changed and more i got 70,750 miles
    SportBike Powder Coating
    "Not Just Bikes"

[email protected]
    Photos
    http://www.photobucket.com/sportbikepowdrcoating

99GalantOn18s

$400-500????

wussup?? i gotta 99 Galant I4 and i only paid $100 to get my timing belt done, and they even installed my AEM tru-time pulleys, and gave me a tire rotation... lol ya'll should come down to georgia

sheefo2k
    hmm yea man timing belt is something and donig the 60,000 service is something else

hmm i believe they open the engine and change spark plugs, and the wires. and the trans. oil. and the other oil. brakes checked and fixed. uhh watelse i had a problem with one og my valves. theres' something called o god i fogot all i know its a little thing in each valve and they adjust so that the piston owulnd' move aroudn that much and one of them were broken so the piston was moving aounrd a little and it sounded like a disel engine lol krkrkrkrkkr that noise. and so yea i got it replaced and it was free underwaranty but i got all the other stuff for aroudn 800

and man i dont c how hu wouldn't replace the timeing belt for only 100, how much did it eevn cost u ?? yea the belt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast