The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: timing belt question!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have 75K currently and while my belt doesn't look new, there's not a blemish or a crack on it anywhere. Â*I'm going to let it ride for a while. Â*If my water pump starts to leak, I'll do it (have it done) all at the same time.</div>

I would really recommend changing that soon, if it breaks your valves will make some nice holes in the top of your pistons. I used to make some extra money buying 1g eclipses with broken timing belts at 70k-100k, replacing the engine and reselling. Most that did break, broke at around 75k-95k so don't hold out too long.

I was wondering if manybrews or someone could tell me if I'm correct in assuming that a Mitsu mechanic would drop down the whole engine and drivetrain to change the timing belt? I know that is done on many other vehicles with tiny engine bays, but I would think that even with a decent size engine bay like ours, it would still be easier to drop everything out of the car.

Also, as someone pointed out, I would get the water pump changed at the same time you get the timing belt changed. In most cases, the water pump doesn't last much longer than the timing belt.

Gilhuly
    Points well taken - and you're all right - the risk return tradeoff sucks. What, am I not going to do it? It's only a delay before an inevitable outcome. Big H, understood on your point as well and well taken - I've done that plug job - anybody who can do that one in an hour and a half should go into business doing it.

Hello everyone, got the timing belt and outer belts replaced today for $279.They used mitsu parts of course.

speaking of belts i just got a coupon for 15% off timing belt replacement from my dealer did anyone else get one?
    SportBike Powder Coating
    "Not Just Bikes"

[email protected]
    Photos
    http://www.photobucket.com/sportbikepowdrcoating

I just went to the dealer on Thursday for some quotes and it's around $900 for 60k mile service which includes timing belt and plugs and a whole list of things. I said I've already changed my plugs to Iridiums and good for the next 60-100k. He then said OH, if you don't need plugs, we don't have to take off the intake plenum and that will shave 3 hours of labor off your service. I said how much then just for the timing belt and it was $500.

Removing the intake plenum is no big deal to me anymore and I've done it several times replacing plugs and installing my DP and now my headers. I have a tutorial on this in the main page if you're interested.

Also, it's very true that when the belt fatigues, not all the symptoms are visible. I've only got 46k on my car and when I was under my car doing the headers, I was able to look at the teeth of the timing belt on the underside and I already see wear. The grooves were cracking already so I'm already shopping around for rates. Point I'm making is that this was obviously not evident when I inspect my timing belt from up top and only looking at the surface. It obviously looks okay from up top and I would have never caught it otherwise.

$500 bucks is still a little bit much for me so I will definitely look into the service manual again to see if I can do this myself; if a timing gun is all I need, that's nothing compared to dealer rates. The other option I will check is have my local shop do the work for me and I get the belt from dealer or they can for me.

Also, $500 seems to be the generic full price rate and I'm sure if you ask for a discount on such a big service, they can take some off. Mention to them that others have received a 15% coupon on this service and if you can get the same deal. You've got nothing to loose but the price, hehe.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

looks good. I've always loved Kalapana Black...
    Derek Kalista
    STS #127
    3G GT Perl Red 5spd

Sorry to hear that. As if they have nothing better to do with their lives but to worry about others cars. :?
    Derek Kalista
    STS #127
    3G GT Perl Red 5spd

where can u get colored vinyl cheap?
    Derek Kalista
    STS #127
    3G GT Perl Red 5spd

gotta love those motegi's on your ride jay
    Derek Kalista
    STS #127
    3G GT Perl Red 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>where can u get colored vinyl cheap?</div>

if you want some really cheap go to a local shop. they might have some scraps they can give u or sell to you fro really cheap.

if you visit the main page ot TGC, i beive we have two delaers on there that sell vinyl. they can hook u up also
    Derek Kalista
    STS #127
    3G GT Perl Red 5spd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12