The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing or Accessory?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Timing or Accessory?

Well since its started to get colder here in Jersey, I've noticed that when I start my car it whines something fierce until it starts to warm up. I am worried that it is doing damage and also worried about it being my timing belt. I know it is relatively normal on the 8g's for the belts to whine a bit when cold, but this whine is so bad I get a bit worried. It goes away for the most part after it warms up. I hear it at idle unless I put it into neutral if I am at a light then it goes away. Im thinking timing belt, is it? If it is could this be problematic in the long run?

jlfisher360
    i had this same problem for about a month. i took it to the dealership and they tightened the belts for me and it has now gone away. but if its more of a rattling noise, it would most likely be an exhaust heat shield that is coming loose.

It's not your T-belt. Unless your car isn't running right but if its just squeeling its One of the other belts, they will squel etc more once the weather gets colder if they need tightened up a bit. You can tighten it yourself (a bracket that you untighten a bolt on and slide outward to tighten them) if your unsure of yourself get a haynes manual etc. If a haynes manual scares you take it to the dealer.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Replace your accessory belts.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    yeah that too especially if you have 60K+ on them.

Just a word of advice don't even think of using that belt dressing stuff imo working in the mechanic field its a waste of time and money .. just my .2 cents
    99 BLACK GTZ
    5 SPD 10-12-08
    TEIN SPRINGS AND KYB SHOCKS
    WTB FRONT BUMPER
    WTB CF HOOD
    WTB GRILL
    WTB CF TRUNK

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post

Thats the thing, the belts are like 2 months old. I replaced them in the beginning of July. It has only started since the weather has gotten colder. Its really really loud and its embarassing lol. It goes away when the car warms up to temperature, but I can here it a bit at idle at lights and stuff. I really want to get rid of this noise, its not good for my neighbors ears or mine lol. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would try to tighten the accessory belt then. Thats what i did to mine when it was a little noisy and it stopped.
    2002 Galant GTZ
    1967 Cougar XR-7 w/289 c.i. (Project)

I was just going to post about that on here, I was wondering if it was either to tight or to lose and that is why it has been squealing? It is really really bad like I said before when I start the car up after cooling all the way down. Once the temp gets to alittle less than the middle of the guage, its normal temp, it goes away. I can hear it alittle bit at idle when i am at lights and stuff, but its horrible when I first start her up. So to tight or to lose?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    It might just be lose dude. Mine was making that high pitch noise at start up, I tighten it and it went away. By the way it was the Alt. belt. Dressing is a waste of time and money.
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 10-16-2008 at 10:45 AM

The alt belt is the one right next to the windshield washer resevoir or the one back near the cabin of the car?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Find the Alternator and you have the belt. No not the powersteering belt.