The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Synthetic ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 35

Synthetic ?

well since ive bought my galant ive changed the oil regularly and used Syntec synthetic oil. A friend of mine tells me today that synthetic oil is not good for the engine. is it true ?

i haven't had any problems running synthetic oils. what is his reasoning behind his theory??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Yeah, this I want to hear.
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    it's not good maybe on a 1985 honda that hasn't had any maintanence
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i take it to autobachs... here in LA.. and get the mobil 1 synthetic.. runs way better and they say mobil 1 is the best so.. 35$

Royal Purple.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'> they say mobil 1 is the best so.. 35$</div>

hahahaha. whoever said that was wrong. who did mobil1 steal their formula from??

AMSoil AMSoil AMSoil...

so ok... which one is good??

I wanna try amsoil, but noone around here carries it - I've been using royal purple, as well - price has gone down on it (4.29 qt)

i know how you feel. i have to drive like 30-40 miles to get AMSoil. im thinking about just ordering it from their corporate store and having it shipped to my house. after markup and the trips i'd have to make to not only order it but pick it up, its about even.

but yea, they say it lasts 25k or up to 1 year. i've gone 7k per change with it and haven't had any problems.

i use mobil1 when im feeling lazy but it kicks me in the face in the future cuz i can't even go to 7k with the mobil1

so amsoil is cheaper than mobil 1 or what?.. i have not really looked around here for that oil.. is it a common used oil or what?

clone2020
    I've never used AMSOIL but I'm going to use it at my next oil change and see if it makes a difference. I'll compare the break down after 3000 miles and take a picture of the end of the dip stick. My driving habits hardly change so it'll mainly be "stop and go" in-town driving.

I have seen engines that used cheapo oil compared to synthetics and after 100,000+ miles you can definately tell the difference. The engines that used cheapo oil had big chunks of black tar gunk in all the crevices. The engines that used synthetics had significantly less build up.

-MIKE.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>so amsoil is cheaper than mobil 1 or what?.. i have not really looked around here for that oil.. is it a common used oil or what?</div>

amsoil is definitely not cheap. its 6 bucks a quart from the manufacturer. add in taxes and dealer markup and your looking at 7-8 bucks a quart. almost double what that mobil1 costs. but it lasts so much longer. with a quality oil filter i've ran up to 7k with the amsoil. i tried to do that with the mobil 1 and i ended up with a black soupy mess of old mobil 1. whereas the amsoil after 7k looked like it did when i first put it in.

you're not gonna find amsoil in the national chain stores. amsoil only sells to smaller shops. so good luck finding that.

TGC Regular
    hey pinoy, if i just started using mobil 1, can i switch over to amsoil on my next oil change?? and do you think u actually save money by using the amsoil?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey pinoy, if i just started using mobil 1, can i switch over to amsoil on my next oil change?? and do you think u actually save money by using the amsoil?</div>

i say just go ahead and just wait til that next oil change to switch over to the amsoil.

i mean with hte amsoil, i got better peformance and fuel economy. but its not like i saw the cash savings immediately. the big cash savings i saw was with the extended life of the amsoil.

ok. how many bottles of amsoil do we need for our cars to do an oil change.. may be it will be hard to find here so .. order it online or something.. wanna try it now..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok. how many bottles of amsoil do we need for our cars to do an oil change.. may be it will be hard to find here so .. order it online or something.. wanna try it now..</div>

<span style='color:red'>the same amount as you would need any other motor oil...</span>

but if you do go long intervals, don't forget to change the oil filter. with that said you might want to get an extra quart or two to compensate for the oil loss when u change the oil filter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fall Out Boy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Mobil now has extended life oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx</div>

finally lol. AMSOIL has been having extended life oils for over 30 years now.

The real difference in synthetics is basically that they are made artificially and as such, manufacturers can control the MW/chain length distribution (narrow) of the motor oil. Regular oil has a wide range--meaning there is a good possibility of higher and lower than the average MW/chain length material...that's what contributes to viscosity breakdown (which is the thinning out of the motor oil intially at high temps then when the low MW species burn off, rapid thickening of the oil). That's at high temperature performance (engine operating temps).

Low temperature performance, regular oils have higher paraffin/microcrystalline wax contents, so at low temps (winter) the oil has a significantly higher viscosity due to congelation. Synthetics with narrow distribution have a significantly less paraffin/microcrystalline wax content, meaning at cold temps, the oil resists congelation much more. All this means that the oil will flow more freely at lower temperatures than a conventional oil, which will mean better low temperature performance.

There are numerous misconceptions about synthetics...most people think that they may harm your old engine especially if its been using conventional oils for a long time...not true because the film strength (ability to lubricate a given metal part) of synthetics is much higher than that of conventionals. However, you should NOT use synthetic if your just rebuilt or have a new engine because the protection that synthetics offer may interfere with the engines ability to wear itself during the break in period. The recommendation is that you wait 6,000-8,000 miles or 6 months before switching to synthetic. If you are turboing...synthetic is recommended as it has much higher heat stability (ability to lubricate at up to 500F) and has better cooling capacity (ie heat dissipation) than conventionals

Sorry for the long post.
    Mayonnaise colored Benz---I push Miracle Whips
    -K. West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast