The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: exhaust help.

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

exhaust help.

a friend gave me his aftermarket exhaust from his totaled 2g. the inlet is 3" I still have the stock piping 2.25 I believe. My question is do I have to replace any piping?

GalantGuy96
    na, just get a reducer.

brandon
    Are the bends on a 2G exhaust the same as a 7G??

My guess is no... so I would think it won't fit.

i know the gsx piping won't fit, but i think i heard some where that 2nd gen gst piping fits with little modification, but i cannot recal where.
    any body?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

3" is a bit overlkill for your galant. unless you are boosting, or plan to soon.
    it will hurt your bottom end pull.
    are you running the stock manifold?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

its only the muffler. no piping included

GalantGuy96
    Quote Originally Posted by 95mitsu03
    its only the muffler. no piping included
    see, thats what i thought, just get the reducer like i said.

its really pointless to go from 2.25 to 3 after the axle. take it to a muffler shop, put 2.5 all the way back from the cat(you should get a high flow cat and do this at the same time) then have them flare the 2.5 out to 3 to weld onto your new muffler. get a resonator too. That will give you adequate performance, and sound great too.
    you can get an Autosound (magnaflow)high flow cat on ebay for around 50 bucks. and a 2.5 inch resonator for around 30 bucks. take them up to a shop and have them weld it up.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    i know the gsx piping won't fit, but i think i heard some where that 2nd gen gst piping fits with little modification, but i cannot recal where.
    any body?
    Downpipe...

Dark Anghell
    I think the exhaust fits too, the piping needs to be extedned by a little bit.

hey DOHCSTUNR is that cat good from magnaflow and also will that lower the sound or make it louder
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

it will help to smooth out your flow, as for the cat making it any louder, i really doubt it, but i cannot say. I would just do it to free up some response and a couple ponies. you might as weel do it when you are upgrading the rest of the exhaust, to remove any bottleknecks.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know the gsx piping won't fit, but i think i heard some where that 2nd gen gst piping fits with little modification, Â*but i cannot recal where.
    any body?</div>

The 2g fwd exhaust is a direct fitment for the 7g. Most of the hangers line right up. If installing it to the stock cat, a test pipe would be needed. If installing it to an aftermarket downpipe, it should bolt right up.

A friend of mine has the RSR exhaust from a 2g fwd on his 7g galant. He hasn't gone turbo yet so he had to put in a short piece of pipe to get the exhaust to mate with his stock cat.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    i'm looking at getting a high flow cat. Are there any systems for a 2g fwd that i could get with a cat that would be a direct bolt to our 7g's.

As it stands i'm having them get a high flow cat with 2.5 piping from there to the muffler, and i think we're going to get a magnaflow with a removable silencer. Do you think i would still need a resonator?

I want some noise to show that it is other than stock, but again, i don't want rice.

8G_GTZ
    well, i have 2 stories/suggestions.

i have a CAI, HFC, and muffler. mine is loud. it's deep and nice sounding till about 4k, then rice kicks in. but it's still the 2.25" exhaust stock so....

another thing about the 2.5" cat back. i believe it was mindless for some reason, but he or someone else got this setup. he told me right away it was ricey all through the RPM band. that's just what i was told.

think about it.

Steve

if you want your exhaust to be deep and throaty, and not raspy and harsh, upgrade the diameter, and use a long resonator. no matter what a straight thru muffler is going to be louder that stock, so your car is going to have and aggressive sound no matter what, but the bigger the resonator the better. The 4 cylinder engine really doesn't purrr on its own. you have to tune the sound. use a larger resonator and if you can, put a small one in between the two 90 degree bends. that will make your exhaust sound smooth like a euro.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo