The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: alignment with aftermarket rims

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    the kidd

alignment with aftermarket rims

i tried to get an aligment the other day, my 2000 ES V6 got 18's, and dude at the shop said it was harder to do cause of the aftermarket rims and he need to order some part, which basically would cost me $200+ to get done includin labor, is that right or he just tryin to jerk me?

i think he said somethin about tie rods, can anyone explain, help me out?

I got 18s on my ride
    and I got the car aligned right after they were installed and my car was dropped
    and then again the next year when my new struts were instaled
    and it was a normal cost, not anything more cause I got big wheels
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

umm, what exactly did he say about your tie rods? the reason i ask is that is what is gonna cost money, not the alignment... the alignment is just how he found something is wrong w/ them. also having big rims does not make it harder to align our car unless they are using OLD (i mean ancient) equipment. it is more than likely you totally misunderstood what your technician was taking about and then made it even worse by trying to explain it to us in your own words. go get clarification of what your mechanic is actually telling you, then tell us. then we can give you a better opinion on wether you are being gypped or not.

TGC Regular
    I just got 17's I hope I dont have to get a part..Im broke as shit!
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

Unless your tie rods are damaged, they do not need to be replaced for an alignment. The only parts you may need would be a front and/or rear camber kit if your camber is off. Your camber shouldn't be off unless you are dropped, but even then your camber could still be fine.

Walrus2004
    even if you are dropped you will not need a front camber kit. when you get after market rims for the 8G galants and you go with a drop and new suspension and such, the only thing needed for an alignment is a rear camber kit, which will run you about $60, then the alignment should run you about $110.

tie rods won't effect camber anyways, adjusting the tie rod will only change toe in/out.

i'm gonna go take a dump now...

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

If you put on aftermarket/larger rims and you're NOT lowered,,,do you have to get an alignment at all 4 wheels,,,or just a front-end alignment? Do you have to get an alignment EVERY time you switch rims again(such as putting steelies back on for winter)??????????????????????????????????????????? ????

you should at least get an alignment checked when putting in new wheels and tires. changing the wheels doesn't effect the alignment but you'd hate to ruin brand new tires by running around with your alignment off.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Every time you get new tires, new wheels, a drop, coilovers, change inner or outer tie rods, or anything that would change camber, toe or ride height, you should get an alignment. You should get your tie rods changed and get an alignment. If it's just the outer tie rods, you can do them yourself and save some money. You will need an alignment if you change them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Every time you get new tires, new wheels, a drop, coilovers, change inner or outer tie rods, or anything that would change camber, toe or ride height, you should get an alignment. You should get your tie rods changed and get an alignment. If it's just the outer tie rods, you can do them yourself and save some money. You will need an alignment if you change them.
    Jeffy hit the nail on the head. Your alignment changes when you put on new wheels and tires. Though having larger wheels and tires on the car doesn't make it any harder to align. My guess is that the OP needs something replaced. If this mechanic needs to order parts to be able to align cars with 18" wheels or larger than he has a really old alignment machine.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    you should at least get an alignment checked when putting in new wheels and tires. changing the wheels doesn't effect the alignment but you'd hate to ruin brand new tires by running around with your alignment off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Jeffy hit the nail on the head. Your alignment changes when you put on new wheels and tires. Though having larger wheels and tires on the car doesn't make it any harder to align. My guess is that the OP needs something replaced. If this mechanic needs to order parts to be able to align cars with 18" wheels or larger than he has a really old alignment machine.
    So basically you're all saying YES....get an alignment at all 4 wheels anytime you're changing from stock to aftermarket rims and vice versa.

Are we giving advice on a thread 4 years old again Boochie Boy.

Oh and so polish doesn't get full of himself here is my relevant post.

I have had 18s and 17s and both times it was normal cost I am also lowered so if he was going to replace your tie rods thats where the 200 is from 60ish for the alignment and 140 ish for the tie rods.

Happy Polish if you read this?

Well, if the answer I'm looking for isn't in the thread (no matter if it's ten years old) then I'll still ask for it.

Even if you're just replacing stock tires onto stock wheels an alignment is recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by 732Galant View Post
    Even if you're just replacing stock tires onto stock wheels an alignment is recommended?
    Recommended yes, always necessary, no.

I'd try getting a second opinion from another shop just to make sure

Quote Originally Posted by 732Galant View Post
    An alignment is recommended everytime you get new tires because if they wear unevenly the warranty is void I have my alignment checked every 3 or so months.

Thanks to all of you that answered my question,,,and sorry to thread jack this.