The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: will be going turbo but first a few questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37

will be going turbo but first a few questions

I got this turbo off ebay... it's from 6 g vr4. would I be able to use the 2g stuff (turbo mani, ic, etc) with this or 1g? I believe that this a 14b right? please tell me if I am wrong here. Is there anything I should look out for with this turbo? oh and seth if your reading this, when are you going to make those ic pipings for us 7g ers?

its a snap to make intercooler pipes, you just have to order the bends, and couple them together with silicone couplings.
    as far as the 14b, yes it will work splendidly,
    now you need a 2nd gen manifold, an o2 sensor housing, oil feed line, and return line, and some fittings so you can run coolant through it.

to check the turbo,
    first try to spin the shaft, it should spin rather freely. if its from a motor that has sit for a long time and theres no oil on the bearings, it may resist slightly, but it should still turn. put you finger on the nut in the middle of the copressor blades, now try to muve it around, back and forht , side to side. if it doesn't move at all your in great shape. its okay if it jiggles slightly, but if you have more than a couple of millimeters of play, you probably have a damaged compressor wheel by now. it will still work, but its not going to make as much boost, and you should reall think about replacing it.
    inspect the turbine housing, is there any signs of oil residue? examine the metal that the housing is made of, are there any cracks? if there are, how cad are they? tiny fractures are okay, big cracks are not. examine the whole thing.
    the 14b is a pretty durable turbo, i've seen a bunch of them used, and i've never ran into one that was bad off, but i've never seen a used t25 that wasn't shot.

there are other things you will need for your project of course.
    why don't you tell us what you have so far, iand i'll tell you whwat you have left

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I dont have much right now just the turbo... I just made the decision just recently. I just want a little more power for my 7g. I am not going all out crazy to blow my car up :? . I want to run about 7-8 psi. This car is my daily driver , not an all out racecar.. But what ever power I can get would be great. Thanks.

8psi will make you a good amount of power. if you don't want to spend a lot of cash intitially, then try to get used stock parts, you can always upgrade later.

you are going to want bigger injectors. 450's are fine you can get them for cheap off any eclipse or vr4 galant. you will need the resistor pack to run them though.
    you need an o2 sensor housing, and downpipe (2nd gen fwd)
    blow off valve and flange(1st gen eclipse bov works great and is cheap to get you started)
    get a 2nd gen side mount intercooler
    get an oil pressure gauge, and a boost gauge.
    you also need a walbro 190 fuel pump
    and a boost dependant fuel pressure regulator (1:1)
    i would recomend a safc2 and/or a exhaust gas temperature gauge.
    thats most of it.
    all the parts should cost you between 500 and 700 dollars.
    but you might get them for less if you are a good ebayer. or if you know someone.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

turbo systems work splendidly as a daily driver.

its like having a v8 on demand. you have all the fuel effeciency of a 4 cylinder when you aren't boosting, and the muscle of a V8 when you flex it. good luck man.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    you also need a walbro 190 fuel pump
    and a boost dependant fuel pressure regulator (1:1)
    i would recomend a safc2 and/or a exhaust gas temperature gauge.
    thats most of it.
    all the parts should cost you between 500 and 700 dollars.
    Fuel pump isn't necessary, but recommended if you don't do the fuel pump rewire.
    Same for the FPR...
    You should get both the SAFC and EGT gauge...
    Parts will most definitely cost you more than 500-700, even used, in total. You'll also want to upgrade your exhaust which will cost a decent amount of money as well.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else posted!

you don't HAVE to upgrade you exhaust to go turbo, although its recomended, we run the same diameter piping as the stock 2nd gen.
    like i said, get what you need to get started and get it running, then upgrade from there.
    is the stock fpr boost dependant? or do you just have to max out your fuel at high rpms?
    i do know that the stock fpr is set at much higher pressures than the stock eclipse fpr(which is boost dependant), you really want your base fuel pressure at 38.5 psi. and then raise pressure 1 lb for every lb of boost. what is the base pressure of the galant fpr?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i am selling my 1g (13g/14b) and 2g(t25) oil return line. pm me if you want the 1g one.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    you don't HAVE to upgrade you exhaust to go turbo, although its recomended, we run the same diameter piping as the stock 2nd gen.
    like i said, get what you need to get started and get it running, then upgrade from there.
    is the stock fpr boost dependant? or do you just have to max out your fuel at high rpms?
    i do know that the stock fpr is set at much higher pressures than the stock eclipse fpr(which is boost dependant), you really want your base fuel pressure at 38.5 psi. and then raise pressure 1 lb for every lb of boost. what is the base pressure of the galant fpr?
    True, you don't have to upgrade the exhaust, but you'll want to.. and since you're going to be modding the downpipe to fit your exhaust anyhow, might as well go the distance and do it all at once.

Not sure on base pressure for the stock FPR... I've been using a logger and SAFC II w/o an AFPR and had no real problems. With the AFPR though, I probably wouldn't be running so rich at idle and low RPMs, thus why it's recommended but not necessary.

would I have to worry about boost creep if I have an enlarged exhaust? what do you mean side mounted ic?

side mount intercooler, its what comes stock on supras, 3000gt, eclipses, rx-7's. its a smaller intercooler that is more than enough to keep a 8psi charge cool. the eclipse side mount is factory for the 12psi that eclipses run. it mounts off to the side of the radiator, they are really easy to come by, and are quite inexpensive. the best part is, you keep the stock sleeper look. its also a benifit because it doesn't block any airflow to the radiator.
    i'm pretty sure you will never see any boost creep when running only 8 psi, and the chances of you seeing it at 12psi are quite slim. just get a tubular 02 housing and you will never see it at those levels. although you will be fine with a stock 2nd gen o2 housing.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7963553360&rd=1

here is a link for a great price on a quality bov. 2 hours left, but he has 8 of them. any body thinkiing of going turbo should jump on it. if you want to save some cash by not dropping $150+ dollars.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

brandon
    The best/easiest place to mount the SMIC would be the fenderwell if you decide to go that route. There's a lot of cutting and imagination involved to get it in there though. You'll also have to remove a lot of your emissions garbage that's mounted there presently.

I've been using the stock 2G SMIC w/o any problems but am upgrading to a FMIC in the next few weeks.

The 14b wastegate is set to around 9psi... so boost creep shouldn't be an issue. I have the stock 2G O2 housing, and 2.5" exhaust all the way back with no creep.

creep becomes an issue when backpressure after the turbo is decreased but not behind the wastegate, resulting in a situation where the wastegate can't relieve enough pressure in the exhaust manifold-turbine housing, resulting in excess boost, even when the wastegate is wide open. this is a likely situation with a 3" turbo-back exhaust with no cats. or atleast on the 16g it tends to be.

but not at 8psi bub

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

but not at 8psi bub
    now how would the 8psi be controlled?

but not at 8psi bub
    ??? you will never get down to 8 psi if you are creeping bad. i don't know if you know anything about creep, but lowering youre boost setting will not help the creep caused by a wastegate that isn't able to get rid of enough exhaust gasses to get it to that level, if anything, it will be worse.

the wastgate actuator spring is set to 8 psi.

do you really think that you would have problems with creep with that turbo on this motor.
    i know the 2.4 is going to exhaust more gases at the same rpm than the 2.0, but i've never heard of ANYBODY having compressor surge issue's on a stock 14b
    even on a stock eclipse, if your timing gets pulled the bcs will pull you down 8psi. I've never heard of anybody spiking the 14b (or a t-25)when its down that low. that would be poor engineering on mitsu' part for allowing compressor surge under the designated operating parameters.
    since there isn't a bcs on the 4g64, he's always going to run 8 psi unless he gets a controller.
    i don't think the 4g64 is going to beat the wastegate when running a 14b, even as low as 8psi.
    and the 4g64 doesn't rev as high as the 63, so that leads me to believe that it wouldn't be any more susceptable to compressor surge than the 2.0 at 8psi.
    i could be wrong,

but IF it was an issue
    you could get a tubular housing or port your o2 to combat creep,

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'>the wastgate actuator spring is set to 8 psi.

do you really think that you would have problems with creep with that turbo on this motor.
    i know the 2.4 is going to exhaust more gases at the same rpm than Â*the 2.0, but i've never heard of ANYBODY having compressor surge issue's on a stock 14b
    even on a stock eclipse, if your timing gets pulled the bcs will pull you down 8psi. Â*I've never heard of anybody spiking the 14b (or a t-25)when its down that low. that would be poor engineering on mitsu' part for allowing compressor surge under the designated operating parameters.
    since there isn't a bcs on the 4g64, he's always going to run 8 psi unless he gets a controller.
    i don't think the 4g64 is going to beat the wastegate when running a 14b, even as low as 8psi.
    and the 4g64 doesn't rev as high as the 63, so that leads me to believe that it wouldn't be any more susceptable to compressor surge than the 2.0 at 8psi.
    i could be wrong, Â*

but IF it was an issue
    you could get a tubular housing or port your o2 to combat creep,</div>

if thats the case then I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Thanks for all you advice. @ 8psi, what kind of hp would I be seeing? just curious

couldn't tell you.
    it depends on what kind of a/f ratio you are seeing.
    just guessing here, but i don't think it would be hard to squeeze 50 or 60 wheel horsepower out of that motor with some good tuning, and proper supporting mods. but thats just peak power. you are going to have a stronger powerband from 2500 to redline. And with the right fuel trim you could see those powergains all the way to redline, instead of your powerband going flat after 5200 like you are used to seeing. you'll get a jump in midrange torque too. be optimistic, but be realistic too.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast