The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: will be going turbo but first a few questions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    first of all, we are talking about boost creep, not compressor surge.

and if the boost always fell to what the wastegate is set at, we would not have something called boost creep. you can also never run lower than the wastegate spring pressure unless something is wrong (or you forced something to be wrong.) even the dsm's bcs can't lower boost below what the actuator is set at. boost creep isn't just a function of what turbo you are running, there are many things involved, such as exhaust sizing, pressure differentials, and then all the little things that can go wrong. i'm not saying boost creep is going to be an issue for you, what i'm saying is "don't tell people they aren't gonna have issues with boost creep, because you don't know that, and you can't know that unless you know every single thing about their setup. this includes knowing how their timing is set."

and last, but not least, do a search on dsmtalk if you wanna hear about people with boost creep issues on a 14b. remember, bad tuning can also cause boost creep. and in a lot of cases, porting the o2 housing (without properly porting the wastegate opening) has cause boost creep to be worse, not better.

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by sabzi5858
    and if the boost always fell to what the wastegate is set at, we would not have something called boost creep. you can also never run lower than the wastegate spring pressure unless something is wrong (or you forced something to be wrong.) even the dsm's bcs can't lower boost below what the actuator is set at. boost creep isn't just a function of what turbo you are running, there are many things involved, such as exhaust sizing, pressure differentials, and then all the little things that can go wrong.

remember, bad tuning can also cause boost creep. and in a lot of cases, porting the o2 housing (without properly porting the wastegate opening) has cause boost creep to be worse, not better.
    Good explanation/clarification... thanks.

just got the turbo today. there is a slight shaft play on the compression blades. it also has some dented/broken fins on the blade, exhaust side. Anything to worry about. should I get it rebuilt? is it something I could do or need professional help? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    Good explanation/clarification... thanks.
    no problem.

is the shaft play in/out, or side/side/up/down? if the exhaust blades are badly damaged, it can affect how much power you can get out of the turbo and how fast it spools up. you can always install it and see how you like it, and decide if you wanna get it rebuilt then. make sure none of the compressor blades are falling apart though, you don't want pieces of your turbo flying into your engine.

is the shaft play in/out, or side/side/up/down? if the exhaust blades are badly damaged, it can affect how much power you can get out of the turbo and how fast it spools up. you can always install it and see how you like it, and decide if you wanna get it rebuilt then. make sure none of the compressor blades are falling apart though, you don't want pieces of your turbo flying into your engine.
    shaft play is side->side up/down

blades are intact

approx. how much movement?

approx. how much movement?
    about a few millimeters I think.

does it feel really loose, or do you have to force it to feel the play. SABZI is right, as long as the compressor blades are fine it is still safe to run the turbo, and if you have to upgrade later, so be it.
    how many millimeters is a few millemeters?
    1 or 2,
    ,5 or 6?

is the turbine housing cracked anywhere?
    take the turbine housing off and inspect the exhaust wheel.
    are there any signs of oil on the turbine exit? or in the o2 housing?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

in my opinion rebuilding a 14b is not worth the cost, when you could upgrade for a little more. forced performance has TD05 18g's now that they sell without the turbine housing for $429 that will bolt right into your stock tdo5 turbine housing. No core required. you could sell your 14b without the housing for about 90 bucks on ebay to make the 18g more affordable.
    http://linux.forcedperformance.net/merchan..._Code=DSM-Turbo

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    does it feel really loose, or do you have to force it to feel the play. SABZI is right, as long as the compressor blades are fine it is still safe to run the turbo, and if you have to upgrade later, so be it.
    how many millimeters is a few millemeters?
    1 or 2,
    ,5 or 6?

is the turbine housing cracked anywhere?
    take the turbine housing off and inspect the exhaust wheel.
    are there any signs of oil on the turbine exit? or in the o2 housing?
    just checked < 1mm, not really loose. no cracks anywhere. no signs of oil. just one of the blades on the exhaust side broke off

what do you mean broke off, is it chipped,
    or is there a whole blade missing,
    or is it a chunk of blade?
    you have a picture of the exhaust wheel?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

what do you mean broke off, is it chipped,
    or is there a whole blade missing,
    or is it a chunk of blade?
    you have a picture of the exhaust wheel?

chunk of the blade small chunk

can we get a pic?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

in my opinion rebuilding a 14b is not worth the cost, when you could upgrade for a little more. forced performance has TD05 18g's now that they sell without the turbine housing for $429 that will bolt right into your stock tdo5 turbine housing. No core required. you could sell your 14b without the housing for about 90 bucks on ebay to make the 18g more affordable.
    http://linux.forcedperformance.net/m...Code=DSM-Turbo

wouldn't this be an over kill for a 4g64?

definitely not if you are going to forge your internals and run more boost.

definitely not if you are going to forge your internals and run more boost.

just going to leave my internal stock for now. I will be happy with a 14b. brandon's going to look it over and maybe he can explain it better than I can.

brandon
    Two bent blades and one cracked blade... looks like something got in there and the turbo didn't like it much.

I suggested putting it back up on ebay and trying to find another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12