The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Auto to 5-spd tranny swap...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    it really isn't difficult. if you have a clear understanding of what's going on (required for any kind of procedure like this) then it's a breeze. i only had 3 questions during the swap process, because i spent weeks just reading and researching about everything. spend as much time as you can pre-planning and looking at tutorials, and when you get in there you'll recognize what to do every step of the way.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

theblackpearl
    yeah see im just havin the dude who has worked on a lot of cars before there incase i run into problems..i plan on doing it myself for the hands on experience...

what the hell you doin up so late man?

NYmagicstk
    <span style='color:blue'> You didn't know peano was a night owl?</span>

NYmagicstk
    <span style='color:blue'>O.K. I got a good question, it might be a dumb one, but it's good. When I do my tranny swap, If I decide I want to swap my 4cyl for a V6, will I have to get a new tranny too, or is a tranny a tranny? </span>

Experienced TGC Member
    Yes you will need a new tranny.

NYmagicstk
    unrelated<span style='color:blue'>50 kissed game on Jet Blacks sig eww
    But thanx for the info, I had a feeling, so I might as well just keep my "shitty auto" (I'm glad my car can't read) in case I decide to do an engine swap. No use in buying two trannys.</span>

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    [quote=NYmagicstk]<span style='color:blue'>O.K. I got a good question, it might be a dumb one, but it's good. When I do my tranny swap, If I decide I want to swap my 4cyl for a V6, will I have to get a new tranny too, or is a tranny a tranny? </span>

LMFAO. not to be an asshole, but if you can't even swap tranny's, don't even THINK about swapping engines, especially a 4cyl for a 6. it is done, but you're having a hard enough time with something simple like a tranny swap, lol. no offense though
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

NYmagicstk
    <span style='color:blue'>No, no, no. I didn't mean I personally was going to do the swap. Lol. I'm not that stupid to try that, especially if it is more complex than a tranny swap. I'd have a pro do it. That's what they're there for. 8) </span>

8ggalant
    short answer YES u will need a V6 5spd

LONG answer:

why the He!! would u wanna do that ..the v6 has 60 more hp than the 4cyl on a good day..w/ yer 5spd and spray u'll be keepin up w/ v6's all day...beatin a few week ones...IN MY OPINION, it is a total waste of money...u could do an evo swap for a lil more cash (say the v6 costs u 1000 for a low mileage motor, ecu, harness, whatever customizing need be it wiring or metal work-which u should need none-headers, downpipe, all this will cost you around 2500 @ the cheapest...now...use that money (which doesnt even include yer tranny swap) and turbo, supercharge, do sumthin...or since yer spendin the big bucks like i said save up a few more dollars (2-3k or so) and get a evo swap goin....

that is all

Xska55
    thats funny, most people want to swap out there v6 for a 4cyl so they can do an evo swap but your probaly better off just trading your car in for a GTZ and im pretty sure on the trannys all you have to do is change the bell housing which will run about $300labor

NYmagicstk
    What does an EVO swap consist of? I don't know shit about the evo, other than it is fast, and I thought it was awd. What kind of engine does an evo have?

8ggalant
    4g63t
    dual over head cam, 4cylinder, direct fire ignition (4 coilpacks instead of our crappy TWO), turbo, ALOT OF BOOST

evos are awd but all u need is a 5spd swap, our 5spd fwd tranny mates to that motor no problem....now the swap is nothing to sneeze @ as u will need alot of extras to go w/ it...but its definately worth it

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Probably the hardest part in doing the 4g63t swap in an 8g is the wiring but thats just a guess. Also you need an i4 5spd tranny correct? Or is the v6 bell housing the same(highly doubtfull)?
    7g for life!

just do the tranny swap and dont do the v6 swap. stewi did the evo swap and he reused his manual eclipse tranny. evo motor is better than the v6 motors cuz theres more aftermarket support and its easier to work on and lighter.

i read somewhere stewi charges $1000 for doing the swap.

NYmagicstk
    That's $1,000 plus I have to find the right parts, correct? I hope Stewie can verify this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xska55)</div><div class='quotemain'>thats funny, most people want to swap out there v6 for a 4cyl so they can do an evo swap but your probaly better off just trading your car in for a GTZ and im pretty sure on the trannys all you have to do is change the bell housing which will run about $300labor</div>

Ahh never, wont go to a four ever again

I have the great pleasure of owning both the same year i4 and v6.

The six has always been more fun... The chassis is different (stiffer on the six). Things such as CAI's seem to unleash more power on the six's then the fours..

Only advantage I see is the lower compression on the 4 which lets you boost more. But a simple change of the heads and you're good to go.

..and if you already have a v6 why would u trade it in for a gtz? I have the LS V6 and the only difference between that and the GTZ is the shocks they use and maybe some bushings and yeah that nice spoiler 2 Same Engine. Sorry gtz guys

I plan on doing the tranny swap a lil later when my current auto starts acting weird. Its just going so strong I'd hate to get rid of a good working part!
    -01 LS V6 Mods: FOR SALE 8.6k 71k miles. Short Ram CAI, 2.5'' Custom Cat-back with OBX muffler, DEH3700Mp Pioneer Headunit w/12inch MTX subs. Daily driver For
    -99 3000gt VR-4 #184 of 287.

ya plus parts. parts should be be <$900.

save youself a grand; do lots of reading, bring a friend, and have one helluva weekend taking out ur tranny. you'll have a very satisfied feeling in the end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12