The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Anyone running more then one battery

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    exoticimport2000

Anyone running more then one battery

I am needing to run an additional battery in the trunk and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so how they hooked them up and what type of battery isolator they used and how it worked. I talked to a tech at phoenix gold about their battery isolater and he said that some mitsubishi 's won't operate correctly with the isolator. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

B.W. i am running a 200 galant 4cyl. Thanks

GalantGuy96
    1. search
    2. dont ask tgc idiots how to hook up a second battery......EVER!
    read to find out what happened.....
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...ght=2nd+battery

BlankMan
    LOl - that's funny. True we're not all experts. A good resource for a question like this is 12volt.com, too.

J

exoticimport2000
    THanks, I appreciate all of the help..

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    If you want to run a second battery i would recomment you install it under the hood. If you have an aftermarket intake you have enough rooms there once the air box is removed.

exoticimport2000
    How would you hook it up , with an isolator or not. If anyone has used an isolator in a galant please help.

i have an optima redtop in the engine bay and a redtop in the trunk...no isolator....1/0 awg wire from positive front to positive rear, and 1/0 awg ground negative front to negative rear...but i do have 150amp ANL fuses at the front and back....
    President Team DNA IL Chapter
    [email protected]
    www.dnaracing.net

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exoticimport2000
    How would you hook it up , with an isolator or not. If anyone has used an isolator in a galant please help.
    All you have to do is hook up negative to negative and positive to positive. the only thing about having two battery you are going to over work your altenator.

exoticimport2000
    Thanks again for all your help.

I just removed my 2nd battery from the trunk cause if you dont know they give off some kind of gas when there charging and is very dangerous, not just that say if you get hit there is a possibility it would explode or come through to the cabin. You should be ok with just a yellow top under the hood. I have 1/0 gauge wire running to my fuse block w/150 amp fuses like silverdragon.
    SportBike Powder Coating
    "Not Just Bikes"

[email protected]
    Photos
    http://www.photobucket.com/sportbikepowdrcoating

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 99BabyBenz-aka Herb
    I just removed my 2nd battery from the trunk cause if you dont know they give off some kind of gas when there charging and is very dangerous, not just that say if you get hit there is a possibility it would explode or come through to the cabin .
    If you are running a 2nd regular lead acid type battery as the aux. battery in the trunk, you would need to be concerned about the gas build up when the battery is charging. This could be avoided by venting to the outside, but would be more trouble than it's worth. Also you would have to be concerned about the possibility of leaking or spilling acid from the battery. But if you use a completely "sealed" battery, like a gel cell battery or spirial cell battery like an Optima, you don't have to worry about these problems. I been planning this type of set up for a couple of years now and have all the correct parts to complete the set up. I was going to put my 2nd compact gel cell battery in the trunk, next to my amps. But since then, I've realized that I can actually run 2 full sized Optimas (1 red top and 1 yellow top) under the hood, once the air boxed is removed. Also to run 2 batteries in you car, you need to use a battery isolater or an isolater relay to avoid over straining you alternator. Both of these function in the same type way. In essence, what it does is allow you to run you 2nd battery "isolated" from your car's charging system until the car is started and running. Then it when the car is running, once the alternator charges the battery it disconnects it from the charging system again, and only charges the main battery. Hopes this info helps you out a little.