The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: difference between catback vs custom piping??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 46

difference between catback vs custom piping??

i have got a custom piping done to my 2000 I4. i thin the pipe is 2.25" with a espilier muffler.... is there a difference between a custom piping and a catback? i have heard from people that custom iping u lose some power as all the pipes are welded so.. the smooth flow of air is not there.. but i am not sure...please help

unless you have 350 or more hp...does it really matter?

i have 2.5" custom piping from the cat to my tenzo-R muffler, flows just fine, sounds great...i dont have a turbo or 350hp, so i dont need to spend 500 bucks on what someone else calls a performance upgrade
    President Team DNA IL Chapter
    [email protected]
    www.dnaracing.net

Re: difference between catback vs custom piping??

Quote Originally Posted by neel9
    i have got a custom piping done to my 2000 I4. i thin the pipe is 2.25" with a espilier muffler.... is there a difference between a custom piping and a catback? i have heard from people that custom iping u lose some power as all the pipes are welded so.. the smooth flow of air is not there.. but i am not sure...please help
    you are not modded enough to notice the difference between 2.25" custom made and 2.25" pre-made. now if you start changing pipe diameter you may see a difference.

i have driven cars with whole catback exhausts and drive nice and mine is ok.. seems like it is losing power or something.. not sure.. many people have told me that full catback exhuast is way better than justa muffller as the cat back does not have pipes which are welded.. so..

i have driven cars with whole catback exhausts and drive nice and mine is ok.. seems like it is losing power or something.. not sure.. many people have told me that full catback exhuast is way better than justa muffller as the cat back does not have pipes which are welded.. so..
    a cat back system is better than just a muffler, but weren't you asking if a catback system from the aftermarket is better than a custom catback system? what exactly are you asking now?

ok i have a custom piping done but has been welded on.. this is not as good as getting a catback right? doesent catback have a smoother flow of air than welded pipes...??

I think what he saying is: He had custom piping done on his exhaust to accomodate his muffler and he wants to know how this compares to having a cat-back exhaust system. To answer your question The cat-back is better, but if you're not gonna do any other major mods to justify the opening up of the exhaust system then its not really cost effective
    Guidelines for Republicans: 1. When in charge, ponder. 2. When in trouble, delegate. 3. When in doubt, mumble.

hey .. no cause.. ok when i drive with the custom piping my rpm drops faster and seems like i am losing power.. i am not sure if this is happening to most people cause.. seems lover here that most people are doing the same way i did which was get a bigger pipe and attach a muffller... cause i wanna get a catback but thats if its worth it.. get a custom made done.. but not sure if it will serve the purpose that i want..

a pipe that is welded doesn't affect peformance at all. what it effects is durability and longevity. the welds are the weak point of the exhaust. its the place where the exhaust is most likely to leak and rust. thats all.

if its peformance you're woried about you want to worry more aobut the bends. mandrel bent pipe are better than press or crush bent pipe because the pipe diameter doesn't shrink as we go into the bend.

but yea, if the routing is the same between mandrel and press bent, and the pipe diameter is the same, with your mildy modified car, i doubt you're gonna feel a difference. if you do its probably a placebo caused by the amount of money you spend on the exhaust.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

im just curious bout this why not get a custom catback with a 3" diameter instead of 2.5" from wat i know its a better airflow let ya engine brethe better i may be wrong any suggestions?
    Sold Burgandy ES 2001

Now Own A 2002 Subaru Wrx

Quote Originally Posted by Blu_MaTiC
    im just curious bout this why not get a custom catback with a 3" diameter instead of 2.5" from wat i know its a better airflow let ya engine brethe better i may be wrong any suggestions?
    Our cars don't flow enough air for a 3" exhaust to be beneficial unless you get a tubo or supercharger. A 3" exhaust on an NA car will make you lose power and torque. Even a 2.5" exhaust is a bit big for a 4 cylinder engine.

i see thanx for the info
    Sold Burgandy ES 2001

Now Own A 2002 Subaru Wrx

i have a piping of 2.25" with a muffler.. what is change thepiping to stock?.. will it help the performance or na?... the info i wanna know is that whenever i drive.. at a higher rpm. the exhaust seems nice but when i hit or slow down little.. the rpom drops alike crazy.. is that suppose to happen or its just mine?

what is change thepiping to stock?..
    changing piping to stock means to take your existing piping and replacing it with piping that came factory from the car

will it help the performance or na?...
    you already have 2.25" piping so going back to stock will do hardly anything for you since stock piping is also 2.25"

Censee
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    what is change thepiping to stock?..
    changing piping to stock means to take your existing piping and replacing it with piping that came factory from the car

will it help the performance or na?...
    you already have 2.25" piping so going back to stock will do hardly anything for you since stock piping is also 2.25"
    :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
    :laughing:

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    is it in drive or are you manuly dropping gears?

do u guys know baout the catback system which is being sold on ebay.. i think its megan racing.. how is that compared to what i got? sorry to be so confusing but .. i got my whole pipe change so.. it is bigger than the stock one.

Censee
    do u guys know baout the catback system which is being sold on ebay.. i think its megan racing.. how is that compared to what i got? sorry to be so confusing but .. i got my whole pipe change so.. it is bigger than the stock one.
    ok man,,lol,,u just said that the piping u have is 2.25,,,,,thats not bigger than stock,,thats stock sized,,,,

are you sure? last time i checked aftermarket 2.25" piping is the same size as factory 2.25" piping. thats why its called 2.25" piping cuz thats the size.

TGC Regular
    actually there is a guy who has the megan racing cat back, he says he likes it alot, there were some pix that he posted somewhere around here, i think his username is johnathonsgalant or something like that, i think its the guy who is doing the posters. maybe check out his cardomain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast