The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: is there any exhaust out there that does not sound ricey?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

is there any exhaust out there that does not sound ricey?

besides stock? something that will add performance but can pass an inspection? I am going turbo so what would work? stock 2g turbo exhaust?

there is really no differece in the stock gst exhaust, same diameter piping, same muffler.
    get a custom 2.5 from the cat back, and if you want it to sound smooth and throaty, but not too raspy and dirty, put along resonator on, this one would work well because it comes with the o2 sensor bung for your rear o2 already.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7965238585&rd=1

but keep in mind,
    the turbo charger is going to quiet your exhaust considerably.
    so with a straight through muffler, and a resonator, you will be sounding great. You don't have to spend a fortune on it either. Just buy the bends(if you want mandrel) , the muffler and the resonator, and take it to a reputable muffler shop. and you don't have to use stainless steel. your exhaust is going to be hot enough that you won't have to worry about water rusting it out(besides the fact that muffler shops warranty their work).
    if you don't want to order mandrel bends, just take the resonator and muffler to a exhaust shop and have them weld it up.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

by the way, are you going to run a cat?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

what would you suggest?

you will most likely need a cat if you intend on passing inspections

Dark Anghell
    get custom 2.5' or if you are planning on running high HP 3" piping with magnaflow muffler that has dual tips at the end. They are usually not polished, look stock, flow very well and are fairly quiet. If you don't want to mess with your exhaust ever again, use a cat. If you don't mind getting dirty under the car, have a cat sitting in the garage, but run a test pipe/race pipe daily (basically it's a straight pipe that replaces the cat). Also you will need a downpipe...a 2.5" or a 3" would work. Keep in mind that as the piping gets bigger, you will have a higher chance of getting boost creep, which is pretty dangerous on a car that's designed to be NA. To eliminate that, you should port your wastegate opening and possibly even replace the flapper to a bigger one 35mm or 45mm don't remember which one. machV.com sells them, so does roadraceengineering.com.

Im going to stay stock :oops: exhaust I mean

yeah, that's a good suggestion. i think you meant the 34mm, that's the typical large internal wastegate.

brandon
    I agree, with the turbo your exhaust is generally pretty quiet. I have an Apexi N1 muffler (which I've heard is one of the loudest) with 2.5" piping (no cat or resonator) and it isn't loud at all, even at WOT.

brandon, what downpipe are you running, boost levels, turbo, o2 housing, porting? and are you seeing any boost creep?

maybe this will help our friend make up his mind. i'd hate to see him go with a stock exhaust.

i know my exhaust sounds nothing but smooth, throaty and mean, even at 14psi at wide open throttle. there is no bumble bee action going on over here. I even had my buddy make a couple of pulls in my car whil i was on standing on the street to hear what it actually sounded like on the street.
    Aside from it giving me a hard-on, i thought it sounded perfect.
    but be warned, you might give other people a hard on, and make the ricer civic owners go limp. So yeah, if you were wondering there are sexual side effects to owning a boosted mitsu.
    i just got done installing my autometer Panty Moisture Level gauge for the passenger seat. I'm anxious to do some data logging and get a proper boost : wet panty ratio.
    i'll let you know how that turns out

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    brandon, what downpipe are you running, boost levels, turbo, o2 housing, porting? and are you seeing any boost creep?

maybe this will help our friend make up his mind. i'd hate to see him go with a stock exhaust.

i know my exhaust sounds nothing but smooth, throaty and mean, even at 14psi at wide open throttle. there is no bumble bee action going on over here. I even had my buddy make a couple of pulls in my car whil i was on standing on the street to hear what it actually sounded like on the street.
    Aside from it giving me a hard-on, i thought it sounded perfect.
    but be warned, you might give other people a hard on, and make the ricer civic owners go limp. So yeah, if you were wondering there are sexual side effects to owning a boosted mitsu.
    i just got done installing my autometer Panty Moisture Level gauge for the passenger seat. I'm anxious to do some data logging and get a proper boost : wet panty ratio.
    i'll let you know how that turns out
    First the turkey sandwich, now hard ons and wet panties? hahaha

Downpipe is the stock GST 2.5".
    O2 housing also stock 2G.
    14b turbo w/stock wastegate.
    Nothing has been ported or modified in any way.

Boosting to 9psi w/no creep issues.

just for reference, i wouldn't call my exhaust quiet, but it is decently quiet at idle. i have a EVO III ported exhaust manifold going to a 54 lb/min turbo with a ported 7cm^2 turbine housing, to a hahn racecraft o2 eliminator housing ( http://www.hahnracecraft.com/hahn/parts/eiwg.htm ). it is a 3" tubular housing for those too lazy to check. that goes to a mandrel bent 3" turbo-back exhaust containing 1 3" dynomax bullet resonator, and 1 3" dynomax ultraflo SS muffler. this muffler has very little muffling material, it is only 6" total diameter, and tubular, the oval ones help quiet things down much more. the entire exhaust is 3" straight through, the resonator and muffler don't have any restrictions.

oh, and the turbo-back is already rusty, the guy told me it was SS, but i think he lied as the resonator, muffler, and o2 housing aren't rusted like the pipes are. it was custom fabricated.

i have a 34mm internal gate, with a 1 bar (14.7psi) spring on the wastegate actuator on my turbo and it is creeping to 1.51 bar (22psi). this is because of tuning issues, running too rich, or perhaps the timing is off, i've been too sick lately to take a look at it. it used to be able to hold 17 psi before the issues came up.

oh yeah, to hear the exhaust, go to http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/599672/2 and scroll down to the bottom of the page, where you will find two sound clips. (you will need a subwoofer and decent speakers to get an idea of what it sounds like)

i fyou are looking to run the stock downpipe, i have one lying in the corner of my garage.
    i'll sell it to you cheap, and include a hollow cat so you can switch them out as you please. just let me know, trying to get rid of some clutter.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i haven't upgraded from my downpipe===> back to 3" yet. still running the stock 2.25 with a straight through hks can on the back
    sbzi, if i may ask, how long is the resonator, and does you exhaust run over or under the axle?
    press bent or mandrel? i've been trying to figure out what bends to order to so i can get a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust welded up.
    press bent 3" doesn't seem to come out well, I worked at a muffler shop between REAL jobs a couple of months ago, and i have the hookup on labor, but they can't get stainless and i know i can get bends on ebay for dirt cheap.
    help a brother out man.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

here's the resonator: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...k=KeywordSearch

summit has the dynomax mufflers pretty cheap. exhaust unfortunately goes over the axle. the guy who welded it up didn't really ask me anything, and i forgot what i wanted to tell him other than to make it mandrel bent and in stainless. i don't think he made it with stainless though, as it is already rusty :? i wish he made it straight back, oh well, i'll get it redone later anyways.

here's a nice comparison of press vs mandrel bends http://www.dynomax.com/passenger.stm