The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: gauge cluster

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

gauge cluster

To make a really long story short, I need a new gauges. The whole assembly. My question is: Can you roll back the odometer or change the numbers on it at all, because I can get a new cluster from a junkyard or ebay but it won't have the same mileage readout as mine. What can I do?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You can but its illegal. You have to go through a whole process with the government to legally roll back or install a different cluster in your car.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    What Seth said is correct...but you can roll back your odometer if you want, but it will take a LONG time just to turn back a few miles FYI. Another CON to that is that it will show that the milage is incorrect when you either register the car or if you have state vehicle inspections. Unless you get another gauge cluster CLOSE to the milage of the original gauge cluster assembly. I fortunately don't have to really worry about it here in FL since there no real state vehicle inspection. I am currently using the gauge cluster off my old 95 Galant on my 96 Galant. 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I don't want to do anything that's illegal. It just sucks, I dont' know what to do. I have changed the bulbs and removed the needles one to many times(changing to different guages) and none of them want to work properly anymore. The needles stick at times the bulbs lose their connection and blink on and off at times, even the plastic casing is cracked. I just figured it would be easier to get a whole new cluster but it's not sounding that way anymore. My Mitsu dealer here in town couldn't even help me.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Unless you got strict state vehicle inspections...I would just find a used gauge cluster and just install it. Getting brand new OEM will probably cost more than the whole car is worth. 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

wolfie

i can help

actually if you still need'em i have the gauge cluster in excellent condition for sale or trade just pm me (oem) :?:

Re: i can help

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie
    actually if you still need'em i have the gauge cluster in excellent condition for sale or trade just pm me (oem) :?:

there is a junkyard in brockton that has a bunch of them, thats where I got mine

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    buy a gauge cluster on ebay.....
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    buy a gauge cluster on ebay.....
    mine was only $35 @ local yard (self pull) with only 85,000 miles.

Thanks . I ended up getting one at a junkyard here, but the problem was I wanted the correct milage displayed. Anyways I just borrowed parts off the junkyard cluster and tranfered them to mine. They charged me 60 bucks though, thought that was kind of expensive, oh well got it fixed anyhow.

Experienced TGC Member
    Rolling back the mileage is illegal if your actually rolling back your mileage. If you were rolling back a guage cluster to match the actual car mileage so you can replace the cluster, that is not illegal and you would not have any problems with inspections etc cause your mileage on the new cluster would indeed be the correct.

However it is a major bitch to do, and you were beter off swapping the parts that needed replacement.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon