The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fuel reserve

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    Michal_GTZ

Fuel reserve

How many galons left when the reserve light occurs?

about 20-25

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMike
    about 20-25
    I drive home from school all the time with my gas light on. My school is exactly 20 miles away. Ya I like living on the edge.

So basicly we have about 1 gallon left of gas. I think its that way for most cars right?

TGC Regular
    I think its about 4 gallons left. Whenever my light is on, I go fill up right away, and its usually 12 gallons added when I top ot off.

This is a very good question I remember driveing when that light comes on, and if I dont go full up right away sometimes I am scared out of my mind.

Michal_GTZ
    I think it's more than 1 gallon, but don't exactlly know how much...service manual says anything about it...?

I ran out of gas one time, and I could only fill up 15 gallons. I dunno if there is a full gallon that is unusable or what, but when the light comes on, you have about 40 miles before you need to fuel if you have an I4. I dunno about a V6. The manual says you have 1.8 gallons left. While it may not make sense considering you may only need 12-13 gallons to fill, it is true, so don't push it (I tried, and lost)
    What is the meaning of life? 42.

In my experience, when the light first comes on there's about 3 gallons left. I've filled the tank at that point and couldn't add more than about 13 gallons.

I go for about two days when the light comes on, the most I have ever filled up with was 13.5 gallons. I think you have about more than 2 gallons, I could get a good 60 miles after the light comes on solid and does not go off. I am not talking about when it comes on and then you hit the brake and it goes out.

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    i think its about equal to or less than 5 gallons

midwestgalant
    i drove exactly 33 miles when my E light came on, i had extra gas in the trunk i just wanted to see how far i could go, that is when the light came on and stayed on bright not came on and went off or when it was just a dim light

It all depends on how your fuel gauge is calibrated. My fuel gauge stays on full for a long as time. My light is not consistent on when it comes on. So your best bet is when the light comes on to find a gas station, b/c i doubt you want to walk to the nearest gas station.

Back from the dead!!!

Ours cars gas tank is supposed to be able to hold 16 gallons, but the light seems to come on after 11-12 gallons used

not sure if there is a difference between 99-01 galants and 02+ galants but I have a 2000 and the book says the tank is 13.5 gallons (I would say its probably +/- 0.5 gallon though. At any rate, when my fuel light comes on I can get about 25-30 miles before I start worrying (ie the gauge drops below E) I would think that is right in the range of about 1 gallon of fuel left.
    Mayonnaise colored Benz---I push Miracle Whips
    -K. West

Censee
    not that this has anything to do with the post,,but after i inserted my carbon fiber bezel,,,,and put it back together my fuel light comes on with a 1/4 tank left,,,,,,never use to do that...anyone else have that problem..because if i remember correctly the light is suppose to come on when its almost on E

is it possible that you moved the fuel level needle so that where it says 1/4 now, it should actually be at E? the dummy light and gauge use 2 different senders generally, so that may be a possibility.