The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Axle back...what does it mean?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Experienced TGC Member

Axle back...what does it mean?

Now I get really confused when my FWD buddys start talking about purchasing axle-back exhausts systems. Now when someone just randomly says axle-back, do you think in terms of FWD or RWD? I see it as a RWD thing. So basicly an axle back exhaust would be limited to a muffler on a RWD application, and a whole bunch of other junk on a FWD application.

Also Im guessing that cat back refers to the primary cat, NOT the two 'mini-cats' that are incorporated into the exhaust manifolds...right?

Thanks, Im a bit confused in a n00b way, but not.

8ggalant
    naw its the same thing man...it the last part of the system basically u would have downpipe, cat, midpipe (from cat convertor back to axle) , then the axle- back...thas the easiest way i can explain it

hope that helped lol

So in a nutshell, an axle back plus a midpipe would equal a catback. I don't really see the point in that.

the point in an axle-back is to easily replace the muffler for sound/look. the point in a cat-back is to increase performance by increasing the diameter of the pipe/reduce restrictions. the point of keeping it seperate is to make it easy to remove, especially with an over the axle system, otherwise you would have to remove some suspension components to remove it.

this is an axle back. It is just what the name sounds like, its the axle back portion of your exhaust.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/ange...a3/100_0220.jpg

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall Out Boy
    this is an axle back. It is just what the name sounds like, its the axle back portion of your exhaust.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...3/100_0220.jpg
    Right...but theres a differance between a RWD car, and a FWD car, in terms of where the axles are...

yeah, but it's still called an axle-back even if you don't have rear axles for some reason. it is just the part that starts near the rear suspension.