The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replacing downpipe

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Replacing downpipe

So I searched through the forums and didn't find the answer I was looking for. I want to know if there is an aftermarket downpipe that wll bolt up to my 8g I4 galant. I live in Cali so... guess I have the Cali spec. I was looking to see if an aftermarket Eclipse downpipe will work, but it looks like it bends the opposite way before the main cat. Anyways, I want to put in a turbo kit and will obviously replace the exhaust manifold w/ a 4g63T one and at the same time, the downpipe too. You guys think the downpipe replacement is needed or what? Sounds like the right thing to do here so... Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

theblackpearl
    id definitly wait till you go turbo to do your exhaust system..or you could just buy it all now then youd already have it...the eclipse downpipe should work..are you lookin at the right generation??

Yeah I was looking at a CatBack exhaust system on E-Bay for like $230. But the downpipe's I was looking at are for the 2G Eclipse's. Those are the 95-99's right? Anyway, look at the bend right before the main Cat. Mine bends toward the passengers side. while the Eclipse's bends toward the drivers. Not sure if this will cause an issue, but i happened to kotice it so... I dunno. Maybe somebody else has tried to bolt them up.

unless you really really need to, i'd hold back on replacing your downpipe until you are going turbo. if you replace it now, then you're gonna end up replacing it again when you go turbo. downpipes aren't cheap either.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

can u only change downpipe when u have turbo or what? and by the way me being in LA will i pass smog if i change it?

Quote Originally Posted by neel9
    can u only change downpipe when u have turbo or what? and by the way me being in LA will i pass smog if i change it?
    you'll pass with whatever you put in your car as long as you're willing to pay extra $$$ for it

haha.. we know that but know what i mean... hey did u fix ur friend??

legally you can only change your downpipe with an oe spec downpipe.

you odn't have to have a turbo to change your downpipe. i have a peformance donwpipe sitting in the garage at home waiting to be installed. my downpipe eliminates the two out of the three cats my car has. but installing that would instantly fail california inspection without a nice bribe.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

NYmagicstk
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    legally you can only change your downpipe with an oe spec downpipe.

you don't have to have a turbo to change your downpipe. i have a peformance donwpipe sitting in the garage at home waiting to be installed. my downpipe eliminates the two out of the three cats my car has. but installing that would instantly fail california inspection without a nice bribe.
    <span style='color:blue'>What's the average price for a performance downpipe, and I'm assuming that the grease monkeys at my local muffler shop know about the downpipe replacing the two small (I'm assuming) resonators/cats ? Also, do they just incorporate the oem cat by welding it to the downpipe, or do I have to buy some new kind of performance cat?
    I have the 4cyl 8G, but I would like to change my pipe size to 2.5" instead of the stock 2.25". From what I've been reading all this time, that lil quarter of an inch makes a big difference, huh? I recently purchased a muffler that has a 2.5" opening, so it would only make sense to change my entire downpipe right? sorry for the long post.</span>