The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Expensive coils vs AGX?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27
    Experienced TGC Member

Expensive coils vs AGX?

Well I've come to cross roads. Right now Im riding on Progress springs and stock struts (blew out a long time ago).

Now what exactly do the expensive coils offer over a progress/agx combo (except for heigh adjustability)? Is the 2x price differance worth it?

Thanks.

TGC Regular
    I"ll watch this one Im interested.

How low are you on them springs by the way
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan
    I"ll watch this one Im interested.

How low are you on them springs by the way
    Currently I'am about 2" all around. Though also this might be a bit lower than usual since Im riding around on bad struts.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    1 piece coilover strut/shock combos like Tanabe Sustec packages or TEIN Super Racing or Drift Racing Damper packages are designed perfectly to work with each other. Unlike a seperate mixed combo like my setup KYB AGX's with SKUNK2 coilovers the shock/struts weren't designed in mind using with the different brand coilovers/springs. Don't get me wrong...both will improve handling characteristics of the car. 1 piece coilovers usually eliminate use of factory strut/shock mounts also and nowadays have the ability to adjust camber with a pillowballs adjustments. Its much more detailed that what I just typed and I could explain it much better in verbally..but hopefully you get the drift.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

8G_GTZ
    hows the camber kevin? from that shot in your sig, i can see a little bit. i'm thinking about doing the suspension before the turbo now.

Steve

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun7g
    hows the camber kevin? from that shot in your sig, i can see a little bit. i'm thinking about doing the suspension before the turbo now.

Steve
    I honestly don't have much of a negative camber in the front. The rear is a lil bit more, but not bad. I took out the Ingalls front camber kit about a month ago because I going to use something different for camber up front. I will have a camber kit in the rear soon....but have to replace a few more rusted suspension parts before that.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

8ggalant
    also agx's are only rated @ a 1.5inch drop allowed (its in the warranty)...a one piece coilover was designed to be lowerd @ the max that is allowed...so if u have a 2 + inch drop...yer agx's will not last as long as they would have if u had teh recommended drop...(theorhetically sp*)...my rear agx's didnt even last 6 months on a 2.2 inch drop...i plan on goin tein basic eventually..or mabey sp's (so i can get pillow ball mounts/camber plates)

the teins i have heard are awsome but is $$$ at the same time i have heard agx are awsome too. so if u looking for a really good handeling than get teins the whole system but just decent handleing than just get agx... i have progress and i am going to get mine pretty soon but i do not wanna change mine as i like my ride low after the shocks being blown so.. keep it until i really need to change it..

8G_GTZ
    i WANT to be the first 7G with the TEIN basic damper kit. It's $750 even at my shop. we'll see in a couple months. the turbo, head, motor build up is going to hold off till summer. i want to finish the suspension and new wheels. also the bushing kit for motor, tranny, and suspension.

Steve

umm, i have never had agx so i can't really comment on how much better the TEIN ss-p's are than springs and agx, but i can tell you the the TEIN ss-p's are hands down the best suspension mod i have ever done to my car. if i had to go back i would have skipped springs and just put on teins. DANGER DANJ and CALI can tell you more from their experience sine i think they had springs or adjustable springs on agx b4 they got their TEIN ss-p's. MOCHANGES, has agx/koni w/ H&R springs and he drove my car at the meet and said that was probably the next thing he would do if he keeps his car. SILLYASIANZ drove my car while his was in the shop and decided that day he was gonna get TEIN ss's. springs and stock shocks are just not even in the same league as full matched coilovers, there really is that much difference.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    umm, i have never had agx so i can't really comment on how much better the TEIN ss-p's are than springs and agx, but i can tell you the the TEIN ss-p's are hands down the best suspension mod i have ever done to my car. if i had to go back i would have skipped springs and just put on teins. DANGER DANJ and CALI can tell you more from their experience sine i think they had springs or adjustable springs on agx b4 they got their TEIN ss-p's. MOCHANGES, has agx/koni w/ H&R springs and he drove my car at the meet and said that was probably the next thing he would do if he keeps his car. SILLYASIANZ drove my car while his was in the shop and decided that day he was gonna get TEIN ss's. springs and stock shocks are just not even in the same league as full matched coilovers, there really is that much difference.
    Haha, after reading this, I think Im going to wait till the 23rd to buy my stuff.

theblackpearl
    i have agx's with eibach sportline springs...my ride handles really well up in my area where there are tons of turns and stuff like that...the springs give me about a 2 inch drop all the way around..now someone said sommin about the shocks going out becuase this wasnt the reccommended drop? whats that about?

well of course $1000+ suspension > $500 suspension. but if your happy with your stock ride, and you just want a lowered look, then springs + agx shocks are fine replacement. if you want your galant to handle like allen iverson, then no doubt go for the coilovers and skip the springs alltogether

8ggalant
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackpearl
    i have agx's with eibach sportline springs...my ride handles really well up in my area where there are tons of turns and stuff like that...the springs give me about a 2 inch drop all the way around..now someone said sommin about the shocks going out becuase this wasnt the reccommended drop? whats that about?
    i said...read your warranty

it states (and this is not a quote cuz im not reading the paper right now) that if u lower your car more than 1.5 inches it COULD lead to shorter product life and degraded ride quality...MOST memebers have never seen any problems...but me and a few local eclipse member have...so agx + 2inch drop is possible w/out hurting anything...is it recommended by the manufactureer NO...and as most tuners know not following manufactures recommendations can turn out bad

kevin

99_galant
    What are coilovers??? Are they one piece, springs, shocks and struts?? If you purchase coilovers than you don't need to buy anything else???

Experienced TGC Member
    I forgot to ask the most important question. How much exactly are the coils for our cars? And where can I find them?

Quote Originally Posted by 99_galant
    What are coilovers??? Are they one piece, springs, shocks and struts?? If you purchase coilovers than you don't need to buy anything else???
    Well it can depend. There are some coilovers (ebay brand), that are just a spring assembly, but you still need struts. The 'real' ones have ride heigh, and dampening built in.

Quote Originally Posted by theblackpearl
    Your warranty on the AGX is void if you have a drop lower than 1.5".

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    From my knowledge JiC and Tein are the only companies that make a true coilover system for the 7g/8g...
    7g for life!

remember. our state law is that we cannot have a ride height that goes lower than then bottom part of our rim. So if u have springs/coils then ur okay, but if u get a *real* (hehe) suspension, then adjust it correctly, and please lock it so it wont loosen and slowly lower your car more and more. Dont forget to find a shop that has life time alignment and can do lowered cars (incase you decide to adjust the height or slam it for shows, you will need to re-align it.
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillyasianz
    remember. our state law is that we cannot have a ride height that goes lower than then bottom part of our rim. So if u have springs/coils then ur okay, but if u get a *real* (hehe) suspension, then adjust it correctly, and please lock it so it wont loosen and slowly lower your car more and more. Dont forget to find a shop that has life time alignment and can do lowered cars (incase you decide to adjust the height or slam it for shows, you will need to re-align it.
    Great points. I believe our law states that the drop can't be any lower than 24" from the center of the headlight to the ground. Though then again, if your bumper is approaching the end of your rim, your probably way under 24".

Also thats a good idea about getting the lifetime alignment, how much does it usually run? As it is, my alignment goes out of wack with all the pot holes and such.

edit: NM, looks like I was reffering to 'raising the car past 24"s', NOT lowering...makes me wonder if our stock 4x4 suspensions are illegal.

other than getting hook ups from friends, the prices on eclipse forums are pretty competitive heres a current sale on club3g

http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24013

tein basic for $805 shipped

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast