The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I really need help with my suspension.... NOW!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34
    VinOne

I really need help with my suspension.... NOW!!!! PLEASE!!!!

I bought a 2000 Galant ES on the Eclipse GSX 17's and lowered almost tucking tire with Ground Controls adjustable coil overs. I have Yokohama ES100 215/40ZR 17's.

I bought it with a broken right front axle. I replaced it with an oem axle cause the after market ones didn't work. It was a misprint in the catalog. That was about 4 months ago. I haven't had a chance to do any work on it.

Well... about 3 weeks ago the axle broke again. Now my tires are going out with the rattle from the axle. I have enough money to by new ones but I need to replace tires now and fix the axle and do the suspension so it doesn't happen anymore. Can anyone help with ideas on exactly what shocks and struts to buy for my car and where is probably the best place on the net to get them?

For struts, get KYB AGX. Jessica from Performance Parts Store can get them to you for 350 shipped iirc, do a search I posted her contact info not too long ago.

I use Eibach springs, but they're the highest ones you can get...don't know what you're looking for in terms of ride height

VinOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Goandeatsomestuff
    For struts, get KYB AGX. Jessica from Performance Parts Store can get them to you for 350 shipped iirc, do a search I posted her contact info not too long ago.

I use Eibach springs, but they're the highest ones you can get...don't know what you're looking for in terms of ride height

I had read that the KYB AGX are probably the best shocks to get. I am looking into getting those now. Thanks.

As far as ride height... I could go up .5-1 inch... but I heard that the GC coilovers are probably the best ones for my car so I am happy with them. I know that non-coils are better, but I haven't bought a body kit yet so I don't want to get different springs.

Another thing I am looking for is camber. I read a post about there being a tutorial which tells how to make my own camber kit... but I can't find it when I search for it. What do you suggest for camber for how low my car is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinOne)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Goandeatsomestuff)</div><div class='quotemain'>For struts, get KYB AGX. Â*Jessica from Performance Parts Store can get them to you for 350 shipped iirc, do a search I posted her contact info not too long ago.

I use Eibach springs, but they're the highest ones you can get...don't know what you're looking for in terms of ride height</div>

I had read that the KYB AGX are probably the best shocks to get. I am looking into getting those now. Thanks.

As far as ride height... I could go up .5-1 inch... but I heard that the GC coilovers are probably the best ones for my car so I am happy with them. I know that non-coils are better, but I haven't bought a body kit yet so I don't want to get different springs.

Another thing I am looking for is camber. I read a post about there being a tutorial which tells how to make my own camber kit... but I can't find it when I search for it. What do you suggest for camber for how low my car is.</div>

I posted a review of my KYBs in your other thread, so hit that up. In summation:

-your hight will go up
    -your handling will increase 100+%

For camber, obviously the lower you go, the worse your camber will get. For every car, adjustment is different, especially if you have a system. Some people need camber, some don't. I have Eibach Sportlines, and I need no camber fixation.

Coilovers: the best ones you can get are the TEINs. They'll run you a shitload of money but you can adjust everything...from the driver's seat. Also, with these the coils are integrated into the shocks and struts, so you don't need those. TEINs are I suppose arguably the best suspension you can get for this car. With the Ground Controls you will have a shitty ride, you can't get around that, look around in the Suspension forum, there are some horror stories.

TGC Regular
    ACTUALLY greg, u said that with the teins u can adjust everything from inside, but that is only with the EDFC system i believe. but yes, if u wanted height adjustability, the only way i would have gone is with the Teins SS-P's (i think they might even be able to adjust camber also).

and also, something to keep in mind, most struts and shocks arent designed for coilovers, so they will blow on your sooner or later. and they wont be covered under warranty either.

VinOne
    Wow... thanks for all the help. Few more questions:

So you guys are recommending I get new shocks as well. The GC's are crap basically as far as shocks are concerned. The Teins are the best. For under $200, what Teins are the best for my ride with the KYB AGX shocks? And will I still need camber kits with that set up?

Also, the Tiens dampener system is adjustable like airbags or Hydro's? And does anyone have their car bagged and how crappy is the ride with bags on your car?

TGC Regular
    umm, i'm not sure of all the prices for the teins, since they do have different products, but i do know that if u are planning on getting teins, then expect to pay around, umm, i believe its like 1,300 dollars. and they dont just go up just like that, i think its more like, a screw that you screw with a screwdriver and that will make it higher or lower, or atlesat thats the impression that i was given, i could be wrong. and yes, i suggest you lose the coilovers and go with springs. i know of three choices off the top of my head

Eibach Pro-kit: like 1.5 in front, and 1" drop in back
    Eibach Sportline: i think like 2" up front, and dont know what it is in back
    and then Progress: these will prolly give you the lowest drop if thats what your looking for, maybe if neel comes along this thread, he can post a pic of his car, its on progress springs and blown stock struts, lol. its pretty damn low.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinOne)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wow... thanks for all the help. Few more questions:

So you guys are recommending I get new shocks as well. The GC's are crap basically as far as shocks are concerned. The Teins are the best. For under $200, what Teins are the best for my ride with the KYB AGX shocks? And will I still need camber kits with that set up?

Also, the Tiens dampener system is adjustable like airbags or Hydro's? And does anyone have their car bagged and how crappy is the ride with bags on your car?</div>

Ah, you're confusing shocks/struts with springs/coilovers.

Shock=Strut. One's for the front, one's for the back. These control how much freedom the spring has to move, and are a big bar. Some aftermarket struts can control things like camber, dampening, etc. Designed to work with springs.

Spring. This provides the bounce, and are restricted by shocks and struts. These have a set height and provide the best compromise of height, performace, and comfort, though that is obviously vendor-dependent, and the lower you go, the worse the ride.

Coilover. This can get confusing: a TRUE coilover is integrated with it's own strut, since most struts are intended for use with prings only, as coilovers can have varying physics depending if they slip or are adjusted. TEIN has the only true coilover system for our car, and they're of the highest quality all around, they get really low and stay comfortable, plus they can be adjusted like 8 ways, including height, dampening, etc etc. Expect to pay 1200+ for this setup.
    -Any other coilover doesn't have a built in strut, and they're nowhere near as nice as the TEINS. They will often have an extremely bouncy ride, as opposed to stiff (i'll add on this later), and will always have an adjustable height, which is their main draw. Coilovers, since not very compatible with regular struts, will quickly kill any strut. Most likely, you'll get sick of bouncing all over the road before this happens.

Bouncy ride: This is where the shock isn't performing correctly, and isn't able to sufficiently dampen the spring/coilover. So, your car will "bounce" as the spring pushes the chassis up and a little while later the shock pulls the chassis down. As a result, your car may be low, but performance will suffer, since if the tire is not being forced onto the pavement by the shock, then it's not getting traction, it's in limbo with the chassis as it lifts off of the ground. (If you're taking physics, then the normal force of the tire is fluxuating as the chassis quite literally is propelled towards the sky by the spring, and through the suspension pulls the tires off of the ground. Once the "airtime" eases off, the car plummets back onto the ground, giving you traction for a bit, but the spring is still there and resets the process)

Stiff ride: Often confused with bouncy, this is certainly not. Here, the shocks are keeping the shocks in order, so the car shassis is forced to act as the spring since the movement of the spring is severely restricted. However, this is often extremely beneficial for handling, since there is tons of downward force on the tire all the time, it is constantly on the ground. As a result, there is a great amount of traction almost all the time, so you will corner easier, accelerate steadier, and brake smoother. If the shocks are too stiff, if you hit a bump, you run a severe risk or damaging your tire or your wheel, or it can compound the pressure on your tires to make you slip across the road, especially on poor roads.

Now, your post...in order:
    So you guys are recommending I get new shocks as well.
    Yes

The GC's are crap basically as far as shocks are concerned.
    They are not shocks, they are coilovers. With that, they are shitty coilovers, but the best cheap ones.

The Teins are the best. For under $200, what Teins are the best for my ride with the KYB AGX shocks?
    I believe TEIN makes one spring setup for our car, but not coilovers only. Still, they will run you a pretty penny iirc.

And will I still need camber kits with that set up?
    If you're going below a 2" drop, I'd say definitely, however it is subjective

Also, the Tiens dampener system is adjustable like airbags or Hydro's?
    To an extent, yes. Remember though, you will get a much better all around feel with TEINS, but you wont be able to floor your car in a sec and bounce it off the pavement. Maybe you can do it in a minute, I don't know about speed.

And does anyone have their car bagged and how crappy is the ride with bags on your car?
    I was looking at bags not too long ago, and from what I have heard from two people who had bags, the ride is almost like stock. However, since camber is not adjustable on the fly, as you adjust height, camber will change, and possibly skew. For these, you'll pay ~$2500 for everything you need, plus installation, unless you do it yourself of course.

Jesus, I hope I get a cookie or something for this

damm man u guys love to type or what..lol.. ur post are always long but NICE info's

VinOne
    If I had a cyber cookie to give I would. I appreciate all the help cause my week has been shit with my car fucking up and a grip of personal shit going wrong right now... I am lost as to what to do with my car. So the help is apprciated and greatly needed.

I am looking to buy the KYB AGX right now. $350

I called ARI and talked to a tech and he answered the questions I needed and I now know they do make the right axle for my car so I don't have to spend $350 on OEM axle. I only spend $50.

I am getting camber kit. $65

I am now looking at springs. Trying to stay under $200.

Hopefully last question... and it is repetitive: Are ALL suspension parts for the 3g eclipse the same as the 8g galant?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinOne)</div><div class='quotemain'>I called ARI and talked to a tech and he answered the questions I needed and I now know they do make the right axle for my car so I don't have to spend $350 on OEM axle. I only spend $50. </div>
    Awesome!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinOne)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am getting camber kit. $65</div>
    You might want to wait to see if you need it...most shops can fabricate or keep them in stock, possibly cheaper than $65.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinOne)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am now looking at springs. Trying to stay under $200. </div>
    Jessica has good combo prices for struts and springs. Free shipping too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinOne)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hopefully last question... and it is repetitive: Are ALL suspension parts for the 3g eclipse the same as the 8g galant?</div>Yes. We share a chassis.

VinOne
    Awesome... thanks for all the answers. I will call Jessica in the morning and flirt with her as hard as I can to try to get the price down to where I can afford both.

I still got to buy at least 2 new tires. I just went and looked at my tires from underneath after driving on them for 3 weeks with a shaky axle. In one word: DONE. Looks like it's time to get new rims and tires too.

I suspect by next week I will have spent $1500 on my galant. I hate life. But my ride will be on it's way to being pimp. Next is a kit, molding, and paint. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Got any pics of the ride?

im pushing ground control coilovers with koni's struts in the front and koni shocks in the rear.

i have NO bounce what so ever. i have the shocks and struts set pretty stiff though. hitting bumps on the highway are almost unnoticeable.

i used to have eibach springs with stock shocks and struts. my setup now is far superior to my old setup. i'd hit a bug bump in the road and i swear i'd feel like im 3 wheeling for a few seconds.

whoever said that ground controls will kill your shocks and struts quick must have not seen my set. the previous owner had the setup for a good 2 year before i bought them 4 months ago. maybe other brands might not last that long but my konis are still live and well.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

VinOne
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>im pushing ground control coilovers with koni's struts in the front and koni shocks in the rear.

i have NO bounce what so ever. i have the shocks and struts set pretty stiff though. hitting bumps on the highway are almost unnoticeable. Â*

i used to have eibach springs with stock shocks and struts. my setup now is far superior to my old setup. i'd hit a bug bump in the road and i swear i'd feel like im 3 wheeling for a few seconds. Â*

whoever said that ground controls will kill your shocks and struts quick must have not seen my set. the previous owner had the setup for a good 2 year before i bought them 4 months ago. maybe other brands might not last that long but my konis are still live and well.</div>

and how much did you pay for the Koni's?

Does anyone else think the Koni's are good shock/struts

I have the tein setup. As for it being the best, hmm the JIC Setup at RRE is the BEST ($2000.00 installed w/ a "hell ride," you car is driven by a pro rally driver to show its potential...haha). But its really rated for racing and rally, street is too crazy. The tein ss (not basics, they cant adjust dampening) setup is good for a NON kitted car. My car has a kit and let me tell you, it has a two/three finger gap at the front (w/ stock tires), with the suspension raised at its heighest level. I still scratch. Dampening is actually 16 settings.
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

TGC Regular
    yeh, pinoy, it was me that said that, and i said it cuz i think thats what i heard, and even if i think about it, it does make sense, since you will be sittin so low, i would think thats not good for the shock, since its prolly made to only have a certain amount of travel, but in your case, i think it might be okay since u can adjust the dampness, if u set them pretty stiff, i guess u should have no problem with them.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinOne)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>im pushing ground control coilovers with koni's struts in the front and koni shocks in the rear.

i have NO bounce what so ever. i have the shocks and struts set pretty stiff though. hitting bumps on the highway are almost unnoticeable. Â*

i used to have eibach springs with stock shocks and struts. my setup now is far superior to my old setup. i'd hit a bug bump in the road and i swear i'd feel like im 3 wheeling for a few seconds. Â*

whoever said that ground controls will kill your shocks and struts quick must have not seen my set. the previous owner had the setup for a good 2 year before i bought them 4 months ago. maybe other brands might not last that long but my konis are still live and well.</div>

and how much did you pay for the Koni's?

Does anyone else think the Koni's are good shock/struts</div>

ive heard/read good things about koni's i think, or maybe it was tokiko's, or maybe both, now im confused.. :?

the koni front inserts are $145 each. and you need 2 if you want to do the front. then you still have to install the inserts into your struts.

then the rear is $270 for the pair.

yea yea yea, you can say how expensive they are and for the money with my setup you could have gotten a nice tein setup.

but 2 things you got to remember. 1, i paid less than 200 bucks for my setup used. and 2, back when the original owner bought the front konis there were no options for the fronts. you had the choice between stock or getting the 1g eclipse inserts and putting them into your stock shocks.

with the options of today, koni's all around and gc's would be pretty crazy since you can get the teins for a comparative price.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Koni are supposed to be the best (koni yellow), atleast by what i heard from most people, and the price is also more expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast