The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Intresting quote regarding ECU and Mods

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Experienced TGC Member

Intresting quote regarding ECU and Mods

This quote is in regards to RIPP's faq about why our cars can't be turboed (namely the part about the ECU).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>...a easy way to prove that your aftermarket bolt ons aren't working would be to to run emmission tests before and after...if they are the same then your ECU compensated for the bolt on and just changed the mapping back to normal specs aka no gain OR defaulted to fail safe mode aka loss HP</div>

~ InternetABYSS
    http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8...hlight=flywheel

Anyone think this will work? I'm really intrested to see if our car's ecu really does work against us.

Here's RIPP's post (more in the link):
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> Electronics that are to smart:
    The last and biggest problem with this car is the electronics, they are simply too smart for dumb electronics (AFC, AFR, FMU, MSD). As you may or may not know, these cars have "adaptive technology", which means they are able to adapt to certain condition and programmed to reject others. Now keep in mind we have spent the better part of the past 3 years working only with the 6G72 platform, so this is not hear say, its' fact.
    </div>

http://www.eclipseforums.org/fortopic161744.html

Crappy closed V6....

Well at least it sexes me up stock 8)

Hahah, thats alot of money down the drain for alot of peole if thats true. Its all just a big placebo effect I guess. Ain't that a bitch.

Edit: Damn, this is all really disapointing. I'm guessing if you have no plans until you do something serious you better get the jet chip or some shit.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lootrock)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hahah, thats alot of money down the drain for alot of peole if thats true. Its all just a big placebo effect I guess. Ain't that a bitch.

Edit: Damn, this is all really disapointing. I'm guessing if you have no plans until you do something serious you better get the jet chip or some shit.</div>

Jet Chip doesn't add any power. It just changes the throttle responce.

No, thats the venom chip correct? The JET chip actually is a real chip that tunes what upgrades you have, or am I thinking of something else?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lootrock)</div><div class='quotemain'>No, thats the venom chip correct? The JET chip actually is a real chip that tunes what upgrades you have, or am I thinking of something else?</div>

No i think your right. Either way, there is no real 'chip' that can automaticly increase our power.

The Eclipse 3G faq puts both the Venom and the Jet chip under the "Things that don't work" category:
    http://www.10south.net/~mprobins/eclipse/3...AF-00105AA41E05

Well isn't that another bitch. Wtf actually works that won't run you grand+ aside from nitrous? What are your thoughts on the ecu canceling mods out?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lootrock)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well isn't that another bitch. Wtf actually works that won't run you grand+ aside from nitrous? What are your thoughts on the ecu canceling mods out?</div>

Well my thoughts on the ECU are almost directly based off of Ripp mods post. As it is, I don't know a whole lot about how the ECU works so I can't really say more than that. Honestly, this whole mess with the ECU makes me want to switch to a stand alone.

BTW you can get a decent N20 kit for well under a grand. You an I4? If so, be happy, you have far more potential for power than the V6.

i'm not even going to go into detail on this one...but... the 3KGT internals will fit our head.... take it as you will....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lootrock)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well isn't that another bitch. Wtf actually works that won't run you grand+ aside from nitrous? What are your thoughts on the ecu canceling mods out?</div>

Well my thoughts on the ECU are almost directly based off of Ripp mods post. As it is, I don't know a whole lot about how the ECU works so I can't really say more than that. Honestly, this whole mess with the ECU makes me want to switch to a stand alone.

BTW you can get a decent N20 kit for well under a grand. You an I4? If so, be happy, you have far more potential for power than the V6. </div>

I said aside from nitrous, I know I can get a good kit for 5 and a half. Though I might give another shot at getting that sds off of Bryant(xska)

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>i'm not even going to go into detail on this one...but... the 3KGT internals will fit our head.... take it as you will....</div>

Not sure what you mean by the head. The head (as in the manifold + plenum), does not bolt up directly to our blocks.

And either way, it doesn't add a whole lot of power.