The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Homedepot ($5) Camber Kit

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 74
    Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadAche
    Okay, damn it i tried it and for the life of me i could get the bolts to thread for anything. I even Pm'd Danj about the size bolts he was using on his camber kit and they were the same but mine wont thread for anything. I mean getting the bolts off was pretty easy and I was like finally something easy enough to do, but as soon as i tried to thread the new longer bolts in, nothing, they just spun as if they were bigger than the holds. So I started to use my ratchet on it, but decided against it just incase they threaded and then they didnt go all the way in, and my stock bolts would go in. I may try it again later on next week, but who knows.. If anyone else has had luck with this, let me know, cuz im racking my brain as to why this doesnt work...
    You know I was at home depot the other day and I noticed something that I havn't noticed before: the threads on the bolts actually differ from one to another. I mean the space between each thread varies by quite a bit depending on what bolt you get.

Maybe this is your problem? You should compare the stockers to the new ones to make sure the threads atleast look alike.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    Okay, damn it i tried it and for the life of me i could get the bolts to thread for anything. I even Pm'd Danj about the size bolts he was using on his camber kit and they were the same but mine wont thread for anything. I mean getting the bolts off was pretty easy and I was like finally something easy enough to do, but as soon as i tried to thread the new longer bolts in, nothing, they just spun as if they were bigger than the holds. So I started to use my ratchet on it, but decided against it just incase they threaded and then they didnt go all the way in, and my stock bolts would go in. I may try it again later on next week, but who knows.. If anyone else has had luck with this, let me know, cuz im racking my brain as to why this doesnt work...
    You know I was at home depot the other day and I noticed something that I havn't noticed before: the threads on the bolts actually differ from one to another. I mean the space between each thread varies by quite a bit depending on what bolt you get.

Maybe this is your problem? You should compare the stockers to the new ones to make sure the threads atleast look alike.
    Bro i did that, I went to Lowes first since it was the closest to my house and all they had were, 10x1.50 which is to big. I went to homedepot and they dont sell metric sizes ( well the one by me doesnt at least ), so i went to Ace hardwear instead, and found the sizes that are supposed to work, but those still didnt fit. I was on 3g yesterday and noticed that the guy who did it, actually only used a 30-35m bolt instead of the 40, so im going to try a shorter bolt and see if that works better for me.
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Yeah I am frequently on tgc and AIM but as you can see
    I just do alot of reading I honestly dont post much. If any of
    you guys have any questions for me feel free to ask here, or
    hit me up on AIM skillz911om ...my home depot kit is still
    working out great, even with me switching to the tein basic coilover kit.
    shogun8g: I feel gay

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone
    how is this actually done?
    my rear camber is off. my back tires wore pretty bad on the inside
    I have the progress drop also
    I actaully had to have 1 of my rear tires replaced when I put my 18s back on last month
    its kinda tough to see in this pic

but also if my camber was perfect when I 1st lowered my car with the progress springs and I had stock struts I woulda rubbed in the rear, as my car tucked perfectly with the camber off as it is
    '

that sounds like me, could it be my camber is off? except i'm not dropped at all but am on 18's.
    2002 Galant ES - I4, Viynl Interior by P
    Pioneer AVH-P5700 DVD, RF P4004, RF P8002, 2-Infinity 12" Perfect 12.1DV Subs
    Lightning Audio Digital Capacitor
    Infinity Speakers,GTZ Spoiler, Ractive E-brake, Chrome Door Handles, CF Armrest
    Freedom Design Strut Bar, Cleared Corners
    KUMHO 711 Tires, CF Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Skillz911
    Yeah I am frequently on tgc and AIM but as you can see
    I just do alot of reading I honestly dont post much. If any of
    you guys have any questions for me feel free to ask here, or
    hit me up on AIM skillz911om ...my home depot kit is still
    working out great, even with me switching to the tein basic coilover kit.
    what bolt length did you use, the 40m or the 30-35? Did you use the lock washers or the flat washers? How man of the washers did you use, because im thinking about 3-4 should do it for me at least. YOu know i got questions because after racking my brain as to why this doesnt work is bothering me, and im not trying to buy another set of times at the end of summer again.
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Hey Headache I remember talking to you on AIM yesterday about your integra lip..but anyway.

I used 40mm bolts , flat washers and I used 5 washers which
    shaved off -1 degree.

-Also make sure the bolts you get are 40mm 10Mx1.25 bolts-

Damn it, those are the bolts I bought and they didnt want to thread for nothing.. I guess what i will do is when i go back to ace hardware have someone hand them to me and check to see if those are the same ones that i bought before..

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    Should this correction be made without rolling your fenders?

I ask because i'm looking to correct my chamber this weekend and i haven't been able to roll mine. I'm afraid that correcting the chamber without rolling the fenders with shred my tires.
    -Pedro

obxguy2000
    I have 18" falken torque 5s with a 40 series tire, dropped 1.5" in the rear, and camber has been corrected. Fenders are not rolled. As you look at them, it looks like they are going to scrub but they do not at all. As the rear end goes down, the tires tuck. I have even rode 2 -200+ lb guys in the rear to make sure.

I dun did it!!!!

what bolt length did you use, the 40m or the 30-35? Did you use the lock washers or the flat washers? How man of the washers did you use, because im thinking about 3-4 should do it for me at least. YOu know i got questions because after racking my brain as to why this doesnt work is bothering me, and im not trying to buy another set of times at the end of summer again.
    i used 40mm x m10 (1.25), However, i could only get my hands on 7 of them so i used 1 30mm, ten mm shorter but still worked just fine. I still recommend using 40mm though.

I used one lock per bolt
    I used 4 washers per bolt (3 could do it if you have a slight drop.)

while the car was still jacked up the wheel seems to have a slight negative camber on it /, but they straightened themselves out when the car hit the ground.

Thank you to all who contributed---TGC at it's best.
    -Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamidad
    I dun did it!!!!

i used 40mm x m10 (1.25), However, i could only get my hands on 7 of them so i used 1 30mm, ten mm shorter but still worked just fine. I still recommend using 40mm though.

I used one lock per bolt

while the car was still jacked up the wheel seems to have a slight negative camber on it /, but they straightened themselves out when the car hit the ground.

Thank you to all who contributed---TGC at it's best.
    Nice job Pedro. I might do this at some point also, ya think you can lend a hand? And how'd ya determine how many washers ya needed?
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

I'm not sure why a camber kit is necessary or why you have to buy anything to adjust the camber when you get your alignment done. When I first got my Galant lowered (2001), 3 wheels were sitting at 0.0 and the rear passenger side was at -3. This messed up the tire after a while if it wasn't rotated. Not sure why the shop didn't help me out in this instance because I had it aligned a few months ago at Big O Tires and they set the rear driver's side to -3 to match the right side. They didn't charge me anything besides the cost of alignment. Now the wheel tucks under without rubbing. Previously, I blew a tire and broke a rim when it was at 0.0

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone
    Nice job Pedro. I might do this at some point also, ya think you can lend a hand? And how'd ya determine how many washers ya needed?

Sure Jason.

BGR, the problem is premature and uneven wear on the tires. My Z rated tires lasted me less than 20,000 miles before looking like slicks.
    -Pedro

yeah Rich same here my back right tire wore pretty bad on the inside and really dont want to have to pay another200 bucks for a tire that has hardly anyother wear

2001 Galant ES

Quote Originally Posted by BGR
    I'm not sure why a camber kit is necessary or why you have to buy anything to adjust the camber when you get your alignment done. When I first got my Galant lowered (2001), 3 wheels were sitting at 0.0 and the rear passenger side was at -3. This messed up the tire after a while if it wasn't rotated. Not sure why the shop didn't help me out in this instance because I had it aligned a few months ago at Big O Tires and they set the rear driver's side to -3 to match the right side. They didn't charge me anything besides the cost of alignment. Now the wheel tucks under without rubbing. Previously, I blew a tire and broke a rim when it was at 0.0
    That's just odd. You can't change the rear camber on our cars without some kind of kit. I have no idea how they could have went from 0 to -3. It doesn't seem possible. I would rather have the shop set the other side to 0. -2 degrees camber is enough to chew up the tire, so -3 has really got to do some damage.

I made a mistake, they correct both sides to -2.5 in the back, so I'm not sure what they did, added, or what but I know I don't bottom out in the back anymore. I could ask them to find out what they did. All I know is that this Big-O tires specializes in lowered cars and out of sheer coincidence, I stopped by them to fix the wobbling I had when I came back from L.A. a few months back (it was a bad axel). So, I had them fix the axel and give me a alignment since I just put on another set of new wheels.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Nice job Pedro. Â*I might do this at some point also, ya think you can lend a hand? Â*And how'd ya determine how many washers ya needed?</div>

Sure Jason.

BGR, the problem is premature and uneven wear on the tires. My Z rated tires lasted me less than 20,000 miles before looking like slicks.</div>

When I first got the alignment (2001) the alignment shop told me I would have uneven wear on the rear (-3 side) if I didn't rotate regularly. Now that both are -2.5 in the back, I shouldn't have this type of problem anymore, uneven tire where on one tire.

Jason, shit, I had just bought new tires when I hit some object in the fast lane, pushing the wheel and tire into the fenderwell causing the tire to pop and ruined one wheel. I new I was going to have a problem one day as that side always made a rubbing noise when I hit a dip in the road. So not only did I have to buy another new tire (only $90, Wanli 225/40's, they're great, just like Yokohamas) but I had to buy a new set of wheels because those Velox wheels I had were no longer available. It was time for a replacement anyhow.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dun did it!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HeadAche)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    what bolt length did you use, the 40m or the 30-35? Did you use the lock washers or the flat washers? How man of the washers did you use, because im thinking about 3-4 should do it for me at least. YOu know i got questions because after racking my brain as to why this doesnt work is bothering me, and im not trying to buy another set of times at the end of summer again.</div>

I used one lock per bolt

Thank you to all who contributed---TGC at it's best.</div>

Nice job Pedro. I might do this at some point also, ya think you can lend a hand? And how'd ya determine how many washers ya needed?</div>

It depends what your camber is at thats how you determine how many washer you need. 5 washers will take off -1 degree.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Nice job Pedro. Â*I might do this at some point also, ya think you can lend a hand? Â*And how'd ya determine how many washers ya needed?</div>

Sure Jason.

BGR, the problem is premature and uneven wear on the tires. My Z rated tires lasted me less than 20,000 miles before looking like slicks.</div>

When I first got the alignment (2001) the alignment shop told me I would have uneven wear on the rear (-3 side) if I didn't rotate regularly. Now that both are -2.5 in the back, I shouldn't have this type of problem anymore, uneven tire where on one tire.

Jason, shit, I had just bought new tires when I hit some object in the fast lane, pushing the wheel and tire into the fenderwell causing the tire to pop and ruined one wheel. I new I was going to have a problem one day as that side always made a rubbing noise when I hit a dip in the road. So not only did I have to buy another new tire (only $90, Wanli 225/40's, they're great, just like Yokohamas) but I had to buy a new set of wheels because those Velox wheels I had were no longer available. It was time for a replacement anyhow.</div>
    yeah I think we got the same tires. The Parada Spec II. And last year I blew out 1 tire 1 Friday, got it replaced on the Monday. Then that Friday, poped the new tire and cracked the wheels it was on. F'n Roads.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skillz911)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dun did it!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HeadAche)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    what bolt length did you use, the 40m or the 30-35? Did you use the lock washers or the flat washers? How man of the washers did you use, because im thinking about 3-4 should do it for me at least. YOu know i got questions because after racking my brain as to why this doesnt work is bothering me, and im not trying to buy another set of times at the end of summer again.</div>

I used one lock per bolt

Thank you to all who contributed---TGC at it's best.</div>

Nice job Pedro. I might do this at some point also, ya think you can lend a hand? And how'd ya determine how many washers ya needed?</div>

It depends what your camber is at thats how you determine how many washer you need. 5 washers will take off -1 degree.</div>
    so then I gotta get myself an alignment first.?

2001 Galant ES

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrjaydeeone)</div><div class='quotemain'>

so then I gotta get myself an alignment first.?</div>

It is recommended. I just happened to eye it and followed my gut. i was initially going to do 5 washers but changed to 4 when i started because i was afraid 5 would be too much.
    -Pedro

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast