The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: V6 - How to Change Your Oil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 43
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I got a K&N oil filter. Purolator is what we use when we do oil changes at Strauss.. I'll be doing mine tomorrow. Quaker State 5W-30 was on sale and I got a bottle of engine flush too..

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    what model number or type should i be looking for the filter, that always confused me

There is usually a book near the filters that tell you what filter model to use, or just ask the guys at the counter to look it up. I know the K&N V6 filter is HP-1004

Napa Brand (Wix I think) is 21356. I only know this from doing oil changes on other Galants that come into the shop.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Hi guys;
    I am kinda new here
    what do you think about OEM oilfilter? (mtsubishi's)
    and please enlighten me about Fram? is this a brand? if so do they cost less?

Yes, Fram is a brand of oil filter. Don't use it. Its cheap.

OEM filters are the only way to go.

cool thanks

I use a Greddy oil filter
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

I use the k&n oil filter and air filter they seem reliable I use synthetic 10w30 for summer it doesnt need additives and i found it lubed better then the 5w30 I was using the previous summer I normally use a jack and jack stand to and another easy way to keep it from dripping everywhere is to use a funnel I built a stupid little stand that holds the funnel right below the drain so the plug can fall if it wants to.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    I can get OEM stuff cheap,my dad is a mitsubishi salesman and i know the parts counter guys, should i got with a OEM or K&N ?

Well your car came with an OEM filter, so why not continue to use them?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I use a Greddy oil filter
    lol, what else would you use?

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    Well your car came with an OEM filter, so why not continue to use them?
    Point Taken, guess ill just go OEM then

After reading this tutorial I feel ready to do my own oil change. Just a couple of questions please:

One tool called for is the torque wrench.
    As the initial post says "tighten to 29 ft-lbs..."

I went to autozone and they did not have anything like it. Were can I buy a decent, durable one? Not really looking for the most expensive either, just one that works. I think this tool is an important tool to own, right?

I understand this tool is not absolutely necessary for this job, and that I could just tighten it with a good guestimate, but I would feel a lot better using this tool as described.

Second question: After reading the whole thread I believe there really is no difference between the I6 and the I4 (the one I have)? Not even the final oil capacity, I think? (4.5 quarts of oil).

Thanks!

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    if your using the oem crush washer you will know once it feels flat your good, i just pull slowy until i felt i used to much of my man power lol

The torque wrench is not absolutely necessary, but is a very good tool to have when working on cars, as for some instances, the correct torque is important. You can pick up a good one from Sears, Home Depot, etc. I am surprised that your local Autozone doesn't have a torque wrench.

As for oil capacities, both the I4 and V6 use 4.5 quarts (with oil filter). Only real difference with oil change with the I4 and V6 are location of the oil drain plug and filter.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Autozone had a wheel torque wrench. Meaning high torque numbers on it. I think I am correct believing that this is not accurate enough and not within the appropriate range for this kind of work. Again thanks, I think I will visit the big box retailers next...

My bolt plug will not move to i just gave up...i hit it with penetrating oil aswell and still nothing !

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    My bolt plug will not move to i just gave up...i hit it with penetrating oil aswell and still nothing !
    Come on man. Put the handle of your jack (or a long pipe) over the handle of the wrench and try again.

i just gotta get closer to my garage, im just gonna try and use my air wrench.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast