The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: JDM headlights

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 70
    Quote Originally Posted by BGR
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    Quote Originally Posted by speedracer
    was lookin on here just got ahold of my jdm lights and was lookin on here how much i actually need to trim off the rad. support but the pictures are non-existant , does any one have a pic of how much they took off so i have a refrence so i can start cutting mine...??

thanx
    sorry. my hosting company is screwing up right now. the pictures should be back up soon.
    Hey Rani, what tool did you use to cut the metal?
    a dremel works very well

Thanks.

no problem, just make sure u use a metal disc, it'll cut it like paper

Quote Originally Posted by BGR
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    Quote Originally Posted by speedracer
    was lookin on here just got ahold of my jdm lights and was lookin on here how much i actually need to trim off the rad. support but the pictures are non-existant , does any one have a pic of how much they took off so i have a refrence so i can start cutting mine...??

thanx
    sorry. my hosting company is screwing up right now. the pictures should be back up soon.
    Hey Rani, what tool did you use to cut the metal?
    rotozip w/ cutting wheel. i was shooting sparks 10 feet in the air!

I did this for someone a while back, and now I'd like to add it here. This should help out those who are looking for pics before starting to cut.

I started out cutting the metal by the radiator. Have a basic line to follow (I used a silver marker), than just trim more as needed. Just don't forget to paint them when you are done with everything. I used a dremel, just get enough cutoff wheels ready lol.

On the pass. side head, you'll have to trim the bulb housing, because it pushes against the ac line

Here's how I trimmed the inner clips on the heads. I cut a lot, but I'd suggest to go slow, cut and try, cut and try first, so you dont cut too much, you might get away with less cutting leaving the thing stronger

I used a spacer cut from some gardening-hose-fittings so the heads don't push against that square metal bracket. I also trimmed/cut the side of the radiator, but don't do that just yet, you might get away with just pushing the whole thing back.

Some shots how things line up. Note on the upper right corner: you have to push back the radiator too, by relocating the bracket to the second hole. After all these done, you still might have to trim from the back of the heads, keep trying and you'll see where it hits something.

You can also see how I cut the upper clips on the grill, flipped them and bolted them to the right place, so it clips into the original holes. On the bottom it still clips into the jdm heads. You also have to trim the top of the grill a little bit so it doesnt stick out, you'll see where.

Here you see why I trimmed the head the way I trimmed. I used a longer bolt with some big washer to hold in the headlight through the upper clip that's originally for the grill. This way it bolts into the original hole on the frame.

Right lower corner: I trimmed some from the bumpercover, so the heads can sit lower, you might not have to. And if you have a JDM bumper you should be set.

That's all folks!

nice work, you did a better job than me.

I know this is a very old thread, but I have to ask if you have done anything to the reflectors in the lamps. JDM lamps are oriented to the opposite side to the standard lamps in USDM and European Galants, since the Japanese drive on the left side of the road.

Or, are you buying JDM-style lamps with the reflectors already changed to work on left-hand-drive cars?

Sorry if my question is unclear, I'm not very much into the technical terms when it comes to cars (yet). :)

the reflectors remain untouched as far as i know, if u can get urself a set from the Philippines or another country that has the JDM galants with the left hand driver then you might get lucky other than that then you will have them the way the japanese have them
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

wtf i dont get it... headlights point straight, it doesnt matter what side of the car you are on...

plus you can adjust them.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    wtf i dont get it... headlights point straight, it doesnt matter what side of the car you are on...

actually, on LHD cars, like ours, the lights angle to the right to help the driver see better. on RHD cars, like JDM cars, they angle to the left. So JDM spec headlights in LHD cars, the lights point at incoming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post

it matters what side of the car you are on, because that also indicates (mostly) what side of the road you are on...

RHD and LHD beam patterns are opposite of each other. the "kickup" on the pattern is to light up signs and such off to the shoulder. in RHD countries the shouler of the road would be on the left... but in LHD countried like ours, the RHD kickup would actually be shining directly into oncoming traffic. my headlight are actually from taiwan which is a LHD country so i do not have the glare problem of RHD headlights fitted to a USDM car (since my set are actually LHD).

once u put jdm heads u cant go back to usdm?

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    yea you can ..but you have to buy the grill to match

Just wanted to thank reelax for this tutorial. I completed my headlight jdm conversion last night. Everything turned out great. Thanks again!

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Just wanted to thank reelax for this tutorial. I completed my headlight jdm conversion last night. Everything turned out great. Thanks again!
    glad it helped. i actually wrote the original version of this tutorial almost 10 years ago... almost everybody that has done the conversion has read this tutorial, some have added to it over the years so it is almost complete. good job on your conversion!

So... I guess I'm not understanding how to hook up a relay so that the lows stay on when you switch to high... I drove with it wire up like stock with hids, just cuz I had to, and it sucks when you go to high, no lights lol for like 10 seconds... SO Help.... please?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

My question is do you use a relay for each side/ housing or can you use one relay for both housings? Any help is appeciated, thinks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    So... I guess I'm not understanding how to hook up a relay so that the lows stay on when you switch to high... I drove with it wire up like stock with hids, just cuz I had to, and it sucks when you go to high, no lights lol for like 10 seconds... SO Help.... please?
    sorry took so long to reply, i just saw this. what the relay does is keep the low beams on when you put on your hi beams; this is how the JDM's were designed to work. you will need a relay for each side, passenger and driver. however if you are using full relay harnesses, you can simply use a diode to link the turn on leads from the hi beam harness to the low beam harness.

Quote Originally Posted by djhah View Post
    My question is do you use a relay for each side/ housing or can you use one relay for both housings? Any help is appeciated, thinks in advance!
    1 relay for each housing (unless you wanna run wire from headlight to headlight). the hi beam will trigger the relay to send power to the low beam (when the stock wiring stops sending power to the low beam) but not vice versa.
    Last edited by Reelax; 05-26-2011 at 07:17 PM

Thanks relax that's what i was thinking but wanted to double check. I picked up some duel beam projectors off an audi yesterday at the pull yard and was going to do a retro fit i just was wondering before i start, so i can test out the ballist and bulbs before i start ( the lows are stock xenon hids).

Quick question. I did complete this already on my old g. But I want to know if I need to cut anything in the engine bay (near the fender, corner light). I can't remember, but I think my headlight won't fit without trimming something back there.

If one of you guys know of the top of your head, that would be awesome. Thanks.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast