The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: will this turbo fit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 41
    fstrthnu
    It doesn't matter if you have a 16g or a t-25. The stock internal wastegate actuator will only allow it to run 6-8 pounds of boost. The only way you are going to blow your engine is if you get a boost controller and turn up the pressure.

That's why I would go w/ a turbo that would allow me to run higher boost if I ever decide to drop the compression.

Spyder4G64t
    Quote Originally Posted by fstrthnu
    It doesn't matter if you have a 16g or a t-25. The stock internal wastegate actuator will only allow it to run 6-8 pounds of boost. The only way you are going to blow your engine is if you get a boost controller and turn up the pressure.
    Bad advice. You can blow your engine easily with only 6-8 psi if it is not tuned properly. Not enough fuel, too much timing, too much heat, etc, etc, etc. At least qualify your statement with some warnings.

As for the rest of the thread, the T25 sux for our application because it produces a LOT more heat in the intake air charge for a given PSI of boost. As such, you will detonate a lot quicker, and fry your engine faster. The 16g is just about perfect for our application, because at around 10psi it reaches its peak efficiency. Peak Efficiency = lower intake air temp = less detonation. It doesn't completely matter if a turbo *can* produce the proper amount of boost. It matters a LOT what that boost level is doing to air temp and flow. Will a T25 work? Yes, it will do the job. However, in my opinion, dont settle for less than a 14b, and try and get a 16g if your budget allows.

fstrthnu
    spyder4g64t wrote:

Bad advice. You can blow your engine easily with only 6-8 psi if it is not tuned properly. Not enough fuel, too much timing, too much heat, etc, etc, etc. At least qualify your statement with some warnings.

I know this. I was just saying, just b/c you have a larger turbo it doesn't nesessary mean that it's going to run 20psi out of the box. The boost level isn't what's going to kill you... It's the stuff that you mention.

Did you write the how to acticle on turboing the '64?

Spyder4G64t
    Did you write the how to acticle on turboing the '64?
    I wrote at least one of them. My website is listed in my signature. It's got a lot of information that I've compiled from doing the turbo conversion on my car.

fstrthnu
    Yeah. That's the one I was referring to. I just wanted to say thanks for giving me a pretty complete parts list. It has helped out a whole lot.

Spyder4G64t
    Yeah. That's the one I was referring to. I just wanted to say thanks for giving me a pretty complete parts list. It has helped out a whole lot.
    You're welcome. Glad it was of use to you. A web page with the parts and procedure was LONG overdue for the 4G64 turbo conversion. I hammered most of that web site out in 2 days while being very bored and unemployed...

BTW... What do you mean by "Pretty complete" anyway...

fstrthnu
    hahaha! I guess your list is about as complete as it gets . I went w/ a ported 16g. You've got a 16g too, right? Just to clear some things up, at what exact rpm do you reach full boost?

Spyder4G64t
    hahaha! I guess your list is about as complete as it gets . I went w/ a ported 16g. You've got a 16g too, right? Just to clear some things up, at what exact rpm do you reach full boost?
    Yes, the full list of my mods is on my website under the "Curt's Spyder" link. I've got a 2g manny, small 16g, and 2g o2 housing - all ported by TRE.

I get to 10psi around 2500rpm in 3rd gear. Pulls hard as hell all the way till the rev limiter hits at 6500rpm.

fstrthnu
    That's great. I have the same big three mods done. Say goodbye to boostcreep! You have the starion fmic, what size is the inlet and oulet? It's only 2" right? Is that enough? And who fabricated the i/c piping for you? How much?

Spyder4G64t
    That's great. I have the same big three mods done. Say goodbye to boostcreep! You have the starion fmic, what size is the inlet and oulet? It's only 2" right? Is that enough? And who fabricated the i/c piping for you? How much?
    Yeah... Boostcreep was a big problem at first. Luckily, I have a tunable muffler, so I could close it all the way, and keep enough back pressure to keep the boost down. If I opened up the muffler, it would creep to 15psi right away. Then I got everything ported, and the larger wastegate put in. Now it holds rock solid. In fact, I had to put a boost controller in to raise the PSI now, since it was so low.

Yes, my IC piping is mostly 2", including the inlet and outlet on the intercooler. It probably should have been made larger, but I didn't personally do it, and I wasn't asked what I wanted, so I'm stuck with it now. I would have gone with 2.25" and 2.5". The piping is all straight pipes, and silicone/rubber elbows or couplers or 45 degree angles. I get a nice straight pipe all the way from the bottom of my radiator, up at a 45 degree angle all the way to the throttle body. It works well for now. When I get a bigger/better FMIC, I'll redo the piping as well.

mmmmmm Techincal posts......

yummy

Hi curt!

I still owe you $25

what's your paypal address?

and..... big 16g all the WAY!!!

curt... have we raced the 2.4t?
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    every time i look at your car craig i drool

if you are staying SOHC 4g64T shouldnt you lower the compression since its kinda high for turbo apps?
    7g for life!

Dark Anghell
    As long as you have proper tuning you will be fine. Also as long as you don't exceed the safe boost levels. When you lower your compression, you loose your low end torque. But you can boost a lot more, this way getting more high-end HP. Most of my friends are running stock internals with 8PSI of Boost.

A great example is my friends Mirage. He had the turbo installed in the car about 3-4 years ago. The car has AT tranny in it, with a good fuel system. He never had any problems with it. He ran 14.7 at the track (raised the boost to 10PSI). But on the street it's always 8PSI.

fstrthnu
    I just got back to the states last night and going to do the turbo install next weekend...any hints?

I'm back on the streets, large and incharge and looking for chickees!!!

I forgot how cool my car was..... haha.

hyer717
    Ahh, large and in charge of the road, BEHIND my truck!!! lol!! Can't wait to smoke you!! Give me a call today.
    -Dan

hyer717
    BTW, t-25's do suck. Go to an eclipse forum and talk to those guys about it, they'll tell you what the best turbo is, most of them seem to be running 16g's.

turbo it

hey spyder..im about to finish my 5 speed conversion and i wanna turbo the SOHC next..I already have the exhaust manifold a 14b and a starion intercooler. of course i know i need custom pipes but what else? electronics wise? Will i need a 2g eclipse mass air?i noticed you talk about stft's and such.. I know yours is a spyder ecu so yours is OBD2 but mine is a 95 so it's OBD one..Who on here knows their OBD1 turbo tuning?please email me at [email protected] because i wanna get started QUICK
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

turbo it

hey spyder..im about to finish my 5 speed conversion and i wanna turbo the SOHC next..I already have the exhaust manifold a 14b and a starion intercooler. of course i know i need custom pipes but what else? electronics wise? Will i need a 2g eclipse mass air?i noticed you talk about stft's and such.. I know yours is a spyder ecu so yours is OBD2 but mine is a 95 so it's OBD one..Who on here knows their OBD1 turbo tuning?please email me at [email protected] because i wanna get started QUICK
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

lol

damn double click lololol
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Spyder4G64t

Re: turbo it

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g64terror)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey spyder..im about to finish my 5 speed conversion and i wanna turbo the SOHC next..I already have the exhaust manifold a 14b and a starion intercooler. of course i know i need custom pipes but what else? electronics wise? Will i need a 2g eclipse mass air?i noticed you talk about stft's and such.. I know yours is a spyder ecu so yours is OBD2 but mine is a 95 so it's OBD one..Who on here knows their OBD1 turbo tuning?please email me at [email protected] because i wanna get started QUICK</div>The complete list is on my website. If you read and understand the turbo tutorial, you can make your own decisions on what you want to do, and in what order. If you don't, then you probably shouldn't be doing this to your car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast