The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ghetto Intake Mod

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 63
    Experienced TGC Member

Ghetto Intake Mod

I believe BGR thought up this mod a few years back before the 8Gs ever had CAIs made for them. I took a step further into the ghetto realm. This mod simply removes the whole bottom portion of the intake (water bypass stuff, which wont be neccicary unless it floods in your area), which converts it into a warm air intake. Also it seems to add some power, as well as a very addictive sound.

The differance between BGR's mod and mine, is that I actually cut the whole bottom portion of piece #7 off. The thing is that after you remove all those pieces your left with an air filter that cant be properly supported. For the longest time I use string to hold it in. Recently I upgraded to using the stock mounting piece (#7), and cutting out the whole bottome section. So basicly same thing, though the skeleton og #7 holds it up (while #7 has a big ass hole in it).

BUT do remeber, BGR's version is where he flips the whole box upside down, so the intake RESTs on the mounting bracket. The good thing about his way is that it can be easily converted back to stock in under a minute. While with mine, you have ZERO change of going back to stock (which might be of some importance to people who live in rainy areas).

Also concering the whole rain thing, I road with this filter like this, through California's SECOND MOST RAINIEST season in the last 150 years. This last year so far we've had 37 inches of rain (while the state record is 38 inches). I've also road through my county during the california fires (MAP ~ those spots you see are enourmas fires raging on ~ this was when they first began). The air was thick as with.

Through all this, the fires and the rain, i've had no problems.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Pics of the actual setup:

NYmagicstk
    <span style='color:blue'>Hey</span>

Experienced TGC Member
    [quote=NYmagicstk]<span style='color:blue'>Hey</span>

lol i was right about to come to that last night before i passed out. Basicly what i did was instead of totally removing #7, I cut the whole bottom part of it out, to that its completly exposed, while at the same time the outer part is still intact and can support the intake like it used to.

GalantGuy96
    just take off the intake, and rubber band a paper towel to the opening.....

lol, jk

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GalantGuy96

lol, jk
    Haha...oh you wouldn't even believe. Coffee filter anyone? haha

NYmagicstk
    what did you cut 7 with? An exacto knife? That's a smart idea, I was going to go to pep boys and try to get some lil clamps or something, but this way might be better.

NYmagicstk
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>:x I tried this damnit, and when I revved, the paper towel got sucked into the engine, then all this smoke came out of every where, then the fucking engine made like a "bang" and it doesn't work anymore. Thanx a lot :x</span></span>

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NYmagicstk)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantGuy96)</div><div class='quotemain'>just take off the intake, and rubber band a paper towel to the opening.....</div>

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>:x I tried this damnit, and when I revved, the paper towel got sucked into the engine, then all this smoke came out of every where, then the fucking engine made like a "bang" and it doesn't work anymore. Thanx a lot :x</span></span>

I almost made a dumb response to this.....good one.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NYmagicstk)</div><div class='quotemain'>what did you cut 7 with? An exacto knife? That's a smart idea, I was going to go to pep boys and try to get some lil clamps or something, but this way might be better.</div>

No way, and exacto knife is way to weak, it will bend and what not. I used some saw that was lying around my garage. I think its meant to cut wood, and it had somewhat large teeth.

Honestly the cutting part was a bitch to do. Now that I have my dremel, it could have been sooo much easier.

NYmagicstk
    Does a dremel have a lil round blade, or is it a lil round grinding wheel?

luxcrusr2000
    [quote=NYmagicstk]

That would have been one hell of a PGD moment if it were true.

NYmagicstk
    "PGD"???
    I know that doesn't mean
    <span style='color:red'>Pigs Gobble</span>

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYmagicstk
    Does a dremel have a lil round blade, or is it a lil round grinding wheel?
    Well it has a ton of accesoies you can use with it, ranging from stuff to polish, to sand, and to cut.

For my headlight housings (which use the exact same type of plastic) I used a carbon blade to cut through it.

NYmagicstk
    That's hot, where can I purchase a dremel for a resonable price?

hardware stores sell em
    sears
    home depot
    lowes
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone
    hardware stores sell em
    sears
    home depot
    lowes
    Yep it is by far the most useful tool ever created (next to a screwdriver and rachet set).

Trust me you wont regret it. It makes cutting stuff so easy. I was able to cut my steel computer case like it was cheese (just had to go slow).

luxcrusr2000
    [quote=NYmagicstk]"PGD"???
    I know that doesn't mean
    <span style='color:red'>Pigs Gobble</span>

Proud Galant Driver....read some of his posts and you'll know what I mean.

NYmagicstk
    Oh, lol duh.
    Back on topic. Today, before work, I was cutting the bottom off of part 7. At first I used my drill with a lil rotary diamond blade on it. I ended up breaking the screw thing that holds it. I tried another screw thing, broke that too. I said to myself "maybe it's the blade" so I tried the fiberglass one that looks sort of like a waffle, and broke the last screw thing I had. By that time, I had a cut that was 3in long and like 1/8 in wide. So the light bulb in my head came on and I used my jig saw... that was so much easier. Probably not as neat as the rotary tool, but I'm going to take a box cutter to it to get the lil discrepancies. I haven't reinstalled it yet, cause I had to be here at work, but tomorrow night it's going back in. Thanx for the Idea. :thumbsup:

Experienced TGC Member
    Oh, lol duh.
    Back on topic. Today, before work, I was cutting the bottom off of part 7. At first I used my drill with a lil rotary diamond blade on it. I ended up breaking the screw thing that holds it. I tried another screw thing, broke that too. I said to myself "maybe it's the blade" so I tried the fiberglass one that looks sort of like a waffle, and broke the last screw thing I had. By that time, I had a cut that was 3in long and like 1/8 in wide. So the light bulb in my head came on and I used my jig saw... that was so much easier. Probably not as neat as the rotary tool, but I'm going to take a box cutter to it to get the lil discrepancies. I haven't reinstalled it yet, cause I had to be here at work, but tomorrow night it's going back in. Thanx for the Idea. :thumbsup:
    lol, you think you had it bad. Try doing by hand.

Don't thank me, BGR is the OG who game this idea to begin with. Let me see if I can find his thread.

NYmagicstk
    OMG You had to saw through all that shit by hand!? I feel for you. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have that jigsaw. It must have been a bitch when you had to change direction cause of the screw brackets or when you came to a corner. Sheesh. Yo I wish I wore goggles, I think I still have plastic specs in my eye... I have something in there, shit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast