The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternator... removal, and installation???

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    NYmagicstk

Alternator... removal, and installation???

Can somebody tell me how easy it is to remove the alternator from my 8G, and how to do it?
    If there is a tutorial (which I doubt) lemme know. If I can do this myself, I CAN SAVE LIKE $70 that the guy is going to charge me just to take it out and put a new (rebuilt) alternator in.
    Thanx.

Get a chiltons, it will show you how to take out the alternator and replace it.

NYmagicstk
    What is a chilton's?

$70? just let the shop do it. if you have to do it yourself to learn then get a hold of the 8g shop manual... there was a link to it at the midatlantic galant site, but it's gone now. hundreds of us have it on our hard drives tho, but it's big (100MB+). if somebody has a another link to it, post it up please.

NYmagicstk
    See that's the problem, it's not a "shop" it's this shade tree mechanic that my pops knows "who'll take your alternator out for like $30, then you give these people your bad alternator, they give you a good rebuild, and the guy puts it in for another $30"
    I live in NYC, so there's always "somebody who'll do that for cheap" around.
    I'd rather take it out myself, 1) Because I actually care about my car... that guy probably doesn't. And, 2) So I can get the knowledge under my belt for future referrence.

so like i said... get a hold of the 8g shop manual.

Sideshow

R/R Altenator On 8g

Hey NYmagicstk, Its pretty damn simple. There is a bolt that releases the tension on the belt, loosen that bolt so you can take the altenator belt off. Then take all bolts that hold the altenator in place. I think there are 3 or 4. Unplug the postive connection that comes feom the battery. Then reverse the steps for instalation.

Sideshow

Always dissconect the battery first!

Quote Originally Posted by NYmagicstk
    What is a chilton's?
    service manual, or like Reelax said FSM

NYmagicstk
    That's it? cool, I'll more than likely take it off tomorrow morning. How do you get the belt tight again? Is that what the first bolt you spoke about does?

before you put in a new alternator, bring it Autozone, they will check it for free. sometimes you will get a defective one. I went through 2 before I found a working one. just from experience, good luck with the alternator man.

go to my website. www.mynameistitobhoy.com and i have the service manual online.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

NYmagicstk
    Thanx Pinoy, you're a cool dude. 8) I don't care what everyone else says about you.