The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 spd Problem?

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Proto

5 spd Problem?

Sometimes I couldnt get my tranny into first with the clutch all the way in.. any ideas?

TGC Regular
    I mean hell , did you tell them you got the new car or what
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

Proto
    Uh.. Yea my GS will be here Saturday. Guy is towing it here for free so I dont have to worry about not having tags yet

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    maybe you think it's all the way in, but it's not. sometimes the master cylinder gets a little out of adjustment. try adjusting it to bring the friction point closer to the beggining of the pedal's travel. your syncros might also be bad, galant 5spds are known for some shiesty and notchy shifting
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i have a 94 gs 5 speed.
    the easiest way to get it into any gear is to give the throttle a slight goose as your selecting the gear. trust me it helps. sometimes you just have to match the engine speeds for the gear.
    you'll find this particularly applicable to when you are in a parking lot and you try to downshift into 1st for a slow roll. if you just try to push the shifter into gear it will resist. but if you rev it a little as you are pushing it into gear, it will engage every time. its just like when you have to match the engine speed ot the tranny speed when you are doing a big downshift.

Another tip, if you are coming from a stop is to line up the gears. With the clutch in, move the shifter into third, then move it back into first, it should go in with less resistance. You do the same thing to get the gearbox into reverse without it grinding. put the shifter into 2nd gear, then move it over to reverse, and it goes right in every time.

using the first and second technique helps negotiate the tricky mitsu gearbox with little effort. It also makes it easier in the winter w/ a cold gearbox, if you utilize these techniques.

next, make sure you change your gear oil, and use a good brand. helps out the tranny alot, and make shifting much easier.

last but not least, get a damn short shifter, and a set of stabilizer bushings for the shift plate. like these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7973022476&rd=1
    and
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7972672782&rd=1

the combination of the two will give you positive shifts, and you will never miss again. plus it makes shifting a delight.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Proto
    i was gonna get a short shifter and a new exedy stage 1 clutch

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I bought that short shifter and those same bushings. Ill let you guys know how they work out. That shifter is adjustable, I believe you can adjust it to either a 35% or 50% throw. Its a B&M replica
    7g for life!

use GM Syncromesh or BG Syncro Shift I or II as tranny fluid. you can pickup syncromesh at any autozone or kragen, have to order the syncro shift online from slowboy.

also, buy 2 rollerblade bushings, and replace the soft shitty rubber bushings at the end of your shift cables on the tranny's shifter arms. makes for much more precise shifts and better feeling.

get the short shifter before anything though.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

TGC Regular
    I for one cant wait until it gets here so I can drive it :evil:
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

IM WITH PEANO...MY SYNCRO'S WENT OUT ON MY LAST 5 SPEED G, AND I COMPLAINED ABOU THE SAME THING
    TEAM GENESIS

brandenblazeRR
    any other mods for better shifting i have a 5 speed and placed and order for the shifter and bushing

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Thers another set of "bushings" attached to the shifter arms in the engine bay. The stock ones are rubber, the ebay ones are just rollerblade bearings. Get 2 sealed rollerblad or skateboard bearings and put them on the shifter cables where the cables meet the shifter arms. Not sure if htis mod actually helps or not, but its cheap if you have a set of old rollerblades
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thers another set of "bushings" attached to the shifter arms in the engine bay. The stock ones are rubber, the ebay ones are just rollerblade bearings. Get 2 sealed rollerblad or skateboard bearings and put them on the shifter cables where the cables meet the shifter arms. Not sure if htis mod actually helps or not, but its cheap if you have a set of old rollerblades</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>also, buy 2 rollerblade bushings, and replace the soft shitty rubber bushings at the end of your shift cables on the tranny's shifter arms. makes for much more precise shifts and better feeling. </div>

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Proto
    Any other tips besides a short shifter, the bushings, and using a good tranny fluid and gearbox oil?

don't ride the clutch, keep your foot on the dead pedal at all times if you are not shifting. this will save your clutch flywheel and throwout bearing from premature wear.

always keep your hand off of the shifter if you are not shifting.
    shift, then rest your arm, shift, then rest your arm... and so on.
    this will keep you from wearing out your shift forks and synchros.

remove your shift boot, and spray white lithium lubricant on all the joints of your shifter as you work it back and forth to allow the grease to penetrate. this will also allow for smoother shifter movement. and as you work the shifter in and out oof gear, spray the lub at the shaft of the shift cable. Do this easy maintenance from time to time or as needed.
    you can also use the white lithium spray for your throttle body spring, and on the shift levers on the tranny where the cables connect.

Motor mount inserts will also make shifting smoother if your mounts are pretty worn. The main benifit of the motor mounts is to take the slop out of the driveline to get more power to the wheels and eliminate engine movement. But i noticed cleaner shifts when i put in some 2nd gen energy suspension inserts. I guess its because it keeps the tranny in place too, so every shift will have the same throw length.

just like the suggestion before this, putting in a set of performance shocks will help with your shifting, they keep your rear end from dropping so bad when you accelerate. keeping that movement under control yeilded cleaner shifting once again for me.

and if you want your stock tranny to last, don't powershift into 3rd or 4th gear(as you would if you intended on barking the tires)
    and always shift easy from first to second. downshifting to 2nd there are no worries, but as most know, 2nd is the first to go on dsms. so take it easy, during the shift and once its in gear let em' have it.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I have the b&m short shifter and the shifter plate bushings, but I have never seen the part that is pictured here (the top bushing with a hole in each end) What is that for?:

Good tip about the white lithium grease, never even thought about that. Thanks.

Proto
    It wouldnt go into ANY gear earlier and I almost go stuck up north part of town. So Im taking it to the tranny shop tomorrow.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StreetDreams)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the b&m short shifter and the shifter plate bushings, but I have never seen the part that is pictured here (the top bushing with a hole in each end) Â*What is that for?:

Good tip about the white lithium grease, never even thought about that. Â*Thanks.</div>

the picture is of civic bushings, but the auction is for eclipse bushings. just one of those high volume sellers that uses one picture for every auction

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Proto
    Tranny shop is replacing the master and slave cylinders then I'll go from there.