The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Does Carbon fiber conduct heat???

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    Black2k1GTZ

Does Carbon fiber conduct heat???

Now you might think why am I asking this...any why in the performance parts forum...but I have a good reason for doing so.

I am currently "designing" a carbon fiber CAI...loosely based on my Injen Race Division. Now dont go getting all excited but I have a close friend who works for a company that spins carbon fiber. He is looking to get in to the auto parts business...and this was an idea he has had for a while...so I am lending him my intake to mold and make.

But my question is...will carbon fiber conduct less heat through the intake tube than the current metal one of my Injen??? Because we all know colder air is better for the engine...and if the pipe is cooler then the air will stay cooler!!!

Anyone that knows...let me know...and PLEASE dont start asking what he can make...that will come later...we have alot of work to do before that happens!!!!!!

Marc :mg:

Big H Killa
    Carbon Fiber doesn't hold as much heat as the aluminum intakes but it will definetly help with the colder denser air. The way I know this is b/c some company from Italy make carbon fiber cold air's for the Honda S2000. They made it with carbon fiber because S2000 generate so much heat they needed the Carbon Fiber.

Turboutlaw
    The outside wall of the carbon fiber tube gets just as hot as anything else, but the trick is that it doesn't transfer that heat to the inside, thus keeping air cool. anybody got a carbon fiber motorbike exhaust? you'll burn your hand on the inside but only warm to touch on the outside. On the intake, the heat is on the other side, but the thermal properties of the CF are the same.

Black2k1GTZ
    Thats what I was hoping to hear...thanks guys!!!!!!!!

Marc :mg: