The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: question about engine swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31

question about engine swap

my question is it possible for me to swap in a six-bolt dsm motor like a 4g63 from a gst into my car. im kinda new to this im 16 and my past experiences on cars are on dsm's my uncle had a couple of eclipses and thats basically tha only car i have a lot of knowledge on... i juz got my 8th gen and im kinda bummed that i have an automatic....
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Only can swap Evo 4-8 Motors...

You bought the wrong gen for a usdm 4g63t swap.
    7g for life!

but how will that fit? doesnt it need to be AWD to be able to fit tha drivetrain?

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    but how will that fit? doesnt it need to be AWD to be able to fit tha drivetrain?
    Thats the problem, only some 4G63s will fit from certain generations.

This thread may be of some help:
    http://www.eclipseforums.org/fortopic52035.html

Honestly, I would count yourself lucky having the 4G64. You have the ability to practically bolt up a majority of the 4G63 parts directly to your engine (ie get a turbo manifold for a 63, and it bolts right up).

Also you have .4 liters of displacment over the 4g63. And finally if you really want to, it is possible to swap the head out with certain 4g63 heads.

Once again, I wish I had an I4.

if it duznt work out how much hp can i pump out of tha 2.4 4g64 and where can i find a 5-speed tranny for it?

First of all the drivetrain has nothign to do with the engine. Next searchfor the 5spd swap answers.

I saw an 800hp 4g64 drag car before, nothing stock, but anythign is possible with the right amount of money. Search n00b!
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    if it duznt work out how much hp can i pump out of tha 2.4 4g64 and where can i find a 5-speed tranny for it?
    I don't understand your first question. What if what doesn't work?

You can find a 5spd tranny on car-parts.com. Just search for the 00-04 Eclipse GS/RS 5spd. There is an abundance of tutorials on the swap including peanos (the most thorough of all):
    http://www.socallifestyle.com

i meant if tha 4g63 swap duznt work out. isn't tha 3g eclipse powered by a 4g64? so that tranny shud bolt ryt in shouldn't it? i didnt know tha parts from tha 63 could fit in tha 64. and tha turbo shud bolt ryt up? sorrie askin lots of questions... im new to tha 4g64

First off, stop talking like a gangster. Next, a 1g/2g exhaust manifold will bolt onto the '64 head. You can use 1g/2g injectors with a resistor pack. Many parts are interchangeable(besides internals...
    7g for life!

valves, spring, and retainers from the 63 can fit onto that top end too right? and im not sure if tha 64 is SOHC or DOHC...

Honestly, have you looked under the hood yet?
    7g for life!

"Honestly, have you looked under the hood yet?"

HAHA

thanx sorrie im realli new to tha 4g64 ive worked on 63 frum tha beginning... 6 eclipses and this is what i get realli stupid on any other engine.. but anyway will tha valves and all that fit or am i stretching the line of possibility?

Experienced TGC Member
    i meant if tha 4g63 swap duznt work out. isn't tha 3g eclipse powered by a 4g64? so that tranny shud bolt ryt in shouldn't it? i didnt know tha parts from tha 63 could fit in tha 64. and tha turbo shud bolt ryt up? sorrie askin lots of questions... im new to tha 4g64
    The tranny from the 3G eclipse I4 (4G64) will bolt direclty to your engine.
    We share something like 80% of our the parts with the 3G.

Also why would you mess with the small parts of the head, instead of doing a whole swap. Which in itself maybe a bit pointless unless your looking to make a lot of power ~ about the only good reason I've heard, to change to DOHC is so you can adjust intake/exhaust cams seperatly.

Also I doubt anyone has ever attempted to install valves from a 63 to 64. Theres just no reason to do it.

okay so tha whole actual head from the 63 will fit on the 64? yes ive looked under the hood but so much filth under its impossible to figure anything out. the valve cover is covered in grease and the block has like 5-years of grime on it. the header (which is stock) has a wierd substance that looks like battery acid on it. i have 102,480 original miles and the engine is filthy. if i turbo my 64 will i be able to stroke the motor?

No matter how much grease and grime is in the engine bay, you will still be able to tell if its SOHC or DOHC haha.

Yes the EVO 4-8 head will fit on your 4g64 block. If you do not understand why you have to use an Evo head, look at where the cam gears are on the USDM 4g63t, then look where they are on your 4g64. The Evo and your 4g64 have the same placement, USDM 4g63t/7g 4g64 is the same.

Your motor is already 2.4L, you cannot stoke it unless you get a custom crank made. The '63t guys are only 2.0L and use a 2.4L 4g64 crank making their 2.0L, 2.3L. I wish there was a bigger crank for us to use, that would be cool.
    7g for life!

yea i know the camgears on the 64 is on the right side of the engine same as a evo motor and in the dsm moto its on the left... i was figuring that out cuz when we first opened the hood my uncle said it was impossible to swap it since the engine is in two different places but i juz had to question his judgment and i guess hes right. but anyway that swap would actually make the topend stronger right? and by doing that how big is the biggest turbo i can install w/out touching the bottom end?

Experienced TGC Member
    If by bottom end you mean pistons, rods, studs, crank, and other. Well probably not a whole lot. Granted we have a iron block, and what not, but it sure ain't that strong.

Without replacing the bottum end, a big turbo is pointless. Stock bottum end is said to only be good for 6-10psi. The best turbo for stock bottum end would most likely be a 14b or small 16g.

The difference between a SOHC 7g 4g64 and a DOHC 7g 4g64 is around 20hp/20ftlbs(140hp vs 160hp). You would probably see similar differences with the 8g 4g64.
    7g for life!

yes i do mean pistons, rods, etc. so basically i have to build the block before any type of boost... so might as well go wit the evo swap instead of workin on this engine ryt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast