The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: question about engine swap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Its up to you, youd be lucky to find an Evo engine for $3-5k. Now thats just the motor, with the awd transmission which you cannot use(unless you convert to awd which IS possible, just a lot of fabrication). Now with that $3-5k you could easiyl build the bottum end of your '64 and do a headswap. Probably could do a 5spd swap for $1000-1500. Once its built it would be ready to handle the boost of a bigger turbo, again I am not sure how much boost a built bottem end could handle as I have no experience with the 8g '64, so I could not recommend a turbo for you.
    7g for life!

and theres no way i can keep it fwd ryt?... hmmmm... i see.... is there any way of strengthening the block?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

No no no, the 3g 5spd bolts onto the Evo 4g63t block, same with the 8g Auto. They use the same bell housing bolt pattern as the Evos awd transmission. So you could keep it FWD. Stewi has done the Evo swap with the 5spd tranny and Clay has done it with the auto tranny. But Clays tranny is gone, he is in the middle of rebuilding it.

Also another thing you have to think about is the ECU. With an Evo swap you will have to swap ECUs. Im not sure how much wiring is involved, but in th e7g 4g63t swap, its not too hard. But I think theres more wiring to do in the 8g swap.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    If your serious about doing it, there is an EVO 8 head for same on www.evolutionm.net for $625shipped, act fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

[quote="seth98esT"]No no no, the 3g 5spd bolts onto the Evo 4g63t block, same with the 8g Auto. They use the same bell housing bolt pattern as the Evos awd transmission. So you could keep it FWD.

are u sure? that makes me sleep much better but okay so i can fit a 3g five-sped onto the 4g63T evo motor in order to make it fwd ryt? okay so is there any custom fabrication like mounts or things like that? im thinkn of course mounts, but do i have to do something to the cross-members? do i have to find a new harness wit the ECU? can i see a pic of the swap if nobody minds...

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Ask stewi for pics. Not sure what you have to do to the harness, either mod stock or use evo, not sure. Evo 4g63t bolts right into stock mounts
    7g for life!

well the EVO motor almost bolts right into the stock mounts. The onoly different I found is on the passenger side motor mount the galant mount has the bolts in this configuration

O
    O
    O

and then EVO has them in this configuration

O
    O
    O

Easy fix, take the center bolt out, the 2 bolts are good enought to support it, and u need a little metal sleeve to take up the slack between the bols and the mount for a snug fit. There is a way you can make the EVO harness work, its alot of work, you need the ECU and the KEY for the EVO as well as the key reader in the steering column, your best bet is to get a standalone.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

well this is gay, it wont let me configure the "O"s to show what I meant about the mounts, anyhow, picture the bolts forming an imaginary lines that looked like a V shape, the V shpae in the galant points toward the driver side, the V shape in the EVO points toward the passenger side
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

aight so if i get a stand alone will i still have to use a evo key? and when u say standalone like stand alone engine management systems like the greddy and aem systems? about the mount are you talking about the mount that is sitting right by the strut tower? when you open the hood you can see it completely? where can i find this motor and the 3g tranny?

yeah im talking about the mount on the passender side of the car near the strut tower. You can find the motor/tranny on www.car-part.com. You can use any standalone, greddy e-manage is not a standalone, look into standalone's like electromotive, Haltech, MicroTech, F.A.S.T. etc. Look for ones that are NOT plug and play, they dont make a plug and play for a galant, and for you to switch to an EVO harness to use a standalone is completely ridiculous. if you go standalone yo do NOT need the EVO key. Just to forwarn you to do this swap, all the parts, labor, etc will run you about $8-$10,000. Dont jump into it if your gonna try and skimp on things just to "get it done"
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

thats gewd then all i need is actually the money to do it. im still kinda confused about the whole ecu but to my understanding a stand alone will keep me from swapping galant to evo ecus ryt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12