The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Towing Question

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Towing Question

Hey,
    I have a question maybe one of you can answer it. My friends and i are planning on towing a car up to some car show later on. What kind of tow would I use for that? A tow dolly is all i can think of. We dont want to use a trailer. and i was wondering if there were other options out there. Thanks.
    "If you can't spot the sucker in your first 30 minutes at the table, then you are the sucker."

A tow dolly should be fine. I towed my galant 800 miles on a tow dolly and never a problem. Just make sure you check the tire straps everytime you stop and tighten them if neccesary.

what's wrong with driving the car to the show?

cuz it might be easier if you just drove it.

a tow dolly just lifts the two front wheels up. now depending on the car. im thinking car show car is maybe lowered, body kit, nice paint job. exhaust. with just hte front two wheels up in the air you run a big risk of not getting the car on the dolly without scraping. or if you do manage to get it on, scraping the bottom of the rear of the car as you are towing it to the show. which would be disasterous.

a car carrier might be a better option since all 4 wheels are up off the ground. but like i said before, you gotta figure out how to get the car up and down safely.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

well the show is in atlanta (nopi) and im in miami. its not my car, its a friends car. but we are just going to raise it back to stock height and then tow it so the rear wont get messed up. so far thats the plan
    "If you can't spot the sucker in your first 30 minutes at the table, then you are the sucker."

dza
    I towed a lowered car with a tow dolly before. i actually had to raise the front to be able to strap it in. The rear remained lowered and was fine. I think you'll be fine if you raise the rear just to be on the safe side since you're traveling a good distance.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    TRAIN. CHOOOCHOOO!
    -Pedro

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>what's wrong with driving the car to the show?

cuz it might be easier if you just drove it.

a tow dolly just lifts the two front wheels up. now depending on the car. im thinking car show car is maybe lowered, body kit, nice paint job. exhaust. with just hte front two wheels up in the air you run a big risk of not getting the car on the dolly without scraping. or if you do manage to get it on, scraping the bottom of the rear of the car as you are towing it to the show. which would be disasterous. Â*

a car carrier might be a better option since all 4 wheels are up off the ground. but like i said before, you gotta figure out how to get the car up and down safely.</div>

Ditto. I just put my car on a trailer to take a trip across the country... all I can say is, check with the company (I used penske - if you rent), they'll check your car if you can get it on the trailer safely or not. I tell you, there wasn't too much clearance for me while driving it up, and I'm not even lowered yet. Dolly, ehh... It's not that much cheaper that I would even care