The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g turbo install complete and running

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 59
    You are here entirely tooo much!!
    nice job.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>So you are using the stock exhaust or what?</div>

after the downpipe it's all stock. i need to get around to finding a shop that will do the exhaust work. most exhaust shops around here won't even touch my car because it's "illegal".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(underated)</div><div class='quotemain'>nice job congrats on the install how does it feel?</div>

it's absolutely insane. the car can't hold traction at any point in first or second gear.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Let off the gas pedal fool and maybe you'll get some traction 8) Good job Peano...get some track numbers.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

i call first dibs in july...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

8G_GTZ
    what turbo are you using?

how much PSI?

which manifold is that?

last question, can i see that FMIC behind that bumper!?!?!

Steve

Congrats Peano! You Cali guys mean business
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org

alright I hate you! Looks great...but I hate you! Hey can anyone answer me this...Why are turbo manifolds so complex? I mean why all the twists and bends? Does it really serve a purpose?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

generally an attempt to get equal-length runners for fast spoolup and allow more flow at high rpms. not all turbo manifolds are like that.

1g dsm exhaust manifold:
    http://www.horsepowerhq.com/IMAGES/DSM/EXH..._mani_angle.jpg

log manifold:
    http://www.crpturbo.com/newlog/img1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>alright I hate you! Looks great...but I hate you! Hey can anyone answer me this...Why are turbo manifolds so complex? I mean why all the twists and bends? Does it really serve a purpose?</div>

it's a tubular exhaust manifold from pacesetter. the performance gains are questionable by many, and there's no point for it on my small 13g turbo. i just got it cause jason @ dna racing was looking to get rid of it for under $100, when oem 2g manifolds go for $60 on ebay used. this was brand new.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shogun7g)</div><div class='quotemain'>what turbo are you using?

how much PSI?

which manifold is that?

last question, can i see that FMIC behind that bumper!?!?!</div>

running a 13G with barely 30K miles on it. perfect condition. car hits 8psi under load, but under wot it hits 10psi at it's momentary peak. think the wastegate is taking over after that. after 5K, it falls off to around 6psi. you can feel a significat power loss when the boost falls off. makes for a very long 4th gear at the end.

using the pacesetter tubular exhaust manifold. gonna exhaust wrap it this weekend.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>it's absolutely insane. the car can't hold traction at any point in first or second gear.</div>

That isn't necessarily a good thing...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>it's absolutely insane. the car can't hold traction at any point in first or second gear.</div>

That isn't necessarily a good thing... </div>
    with those monstar 17' and good tires you should be able to hook up, unless you are running way too much tire pressure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>running a 13G with barely 30K miles on it. perfect condition. car hits 8psi under load, but under wot it hits 10psi at it's momentary peak. think the wastegate is taking over after that. after 5K, it falls off to around 6psi. you can feel a significat power loss when the boost falls off. makes for a very long 4th gear at the end. Â*
    </div>
    it worries me that your turbo spikes to 10psi w/ no boost controller and just a direct line to the stock wastegate actuator.
    could it be your big 4g64 is creeping that turbo? i don't know. jeez with that setup i bet you turbo spools up when you just think about opening the throttle.

but i must say i'm excited. Glad to see that there is another true performance junky out there tweaking on a 7th gen.

Now, time for business...
    i have a few questions to ask you that may benifit or encourage others here on TGC to embark on the 4g64t adventure instead of buying 20's.

after all is done, including reasearch, parts gathering, and assembly. on a 1-10 scale(be honest) how hard was the turbo swap for you?

Was it much easier than you had ever imagined?

Was it easier than the tranny swap?

Was it worth it, for the time money and labor in the end?

How much, if I may be so bold, was the final tally of the project thus far?
    excluding longevity and supporting mods like huge front mount and oil cooler setup.

Congrats my man. and whats next?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    it worries me that your turbo spikes to 10psi w/ no boost controller and just a direct line to the stock wastegate actuator.
    could it be your big 4g64 is creeping that turbo? i don't know. jeez with that setup i bet you turbo spools up when you just think about opening the throttle.

but i must say i'm excited. Glad to see that there is another true performance junky out there tweaking on a 7th gen.

Now, time for business...
    i have a few questions to ask you that may benifit or encourage others here on TGC to embark on the 4g64t adventure instead of buying 20's.

after all is done, including reasearch, parts gathering, and assembly. on a 1-10 scale(be honest) how hard was the turbo swap for you?

Was it much easier than you had ever imagined?

Was it easier than the tranny swap?

Was it worth it, for the time money and labor in the end?

How much, if I may be so bold, was the final tally of the project thus far?
    excluding longevity and supporting mods like huge front mount and oil cooler setup.

Congrats my man. and whats next?
    oooo wow, i feel like i'm on 20/20. my motor is definitly creeping the turbo. i thought the wastegate would be more responsive than it is, but it's still pretty quick. i'm only at 10psi for maybe half a second, after that it falls off to 5 or 6psi.

and it does spool up any time i put any amount of gas. it's like have constant boost all the time. just cruising on the highway, holding 65mph, if i put a little gas into it to slowly pass a car up, i wind up spooling and hitting 80mph before i even know what's going on. and let's not even talk about the top speed acceleration on this thing.

i can't say it was a 10, but it was the hardest thing i've ever done to my car. there was no hard part with this install, like there was with the tranny swap. the majority of my pain with the tranny swap came from physically dropping the tranny out of the car and putting in the new one. such a bulky heavy awkward weight. now that everything is said and done, besides for my new oil leak, i could do it again in half the amount of time. the thing that kept me taking forever was me constantly running out of parts to do little things here and there. i planned out the majority of the install in my room, test fitting things together and figuring out what i would need. i only worked on it for about 6 days, with half of those days only being a few hours in the garage.

just added up all my receipts this morning: $2583.56
    i kept every receipt that was used to buy anything for the project

whats next is to just keep the car running good and maintain it now. it's an old horse with some miles on it, needs attention now.

the next mods would be a true tuning system, not my ghetto setup with only afc2, boost, egt and a/f gauges. also, need a new oil pan.

also plan to clean up a lot of the setup, since a lot of it was ghetto rigged. example: recirc tube (see pic)

it was completely worth it. i raced a GT cruiser turbo last night, and raped him really bad. the speed is insane. it feels like twice as much as the nitrous ever did, and i was spraying a 55 shot.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Haha You must be the first to use a clear dump tube and brass/copper elbows. Looks kinda cool

Take a picture of where you mated the big power wire for the battery to the stock connector. Right now mines just bolted to the wire and electrical taped up with the stock rubber grommet still there.

O which J-pipe did you use? Its looks like a very big radius bend, does it hit your fans at all? More pics
    7g for life!

i actually think my recirc tube is pretty fucking badass. i'm gonna trim up the edges and make it look good, and i think i'm gonna keep it

oooh man, i just spliced about 3" of rubber coating off the car's <span style='color:red'>+</span> cable and the purple 2 gauge battery relocater cable. inter-twisted them together, and wrapped it up with about a roll of electrical tape. very ghetto.

the J-pipe is for a 14b/16g from slowboy i got on ebay. click.
    with initial measuring, it was supposed to hit the fans pretty hardcore, but it just barely touches them now.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    My battery relocation kit came with a crimper end to put on the + cable so it would bolt up to the stock crap. I need to find a big piece of heatshrink that will fit over everything.

Yah if you end up having problems with that, pick up a dejon tool j-pipe. Doesnt hit the rad fans at all.

7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    OH SNAP! :shock:

VERY NICE! LMAO You have to race the GTS now. Don't even tell him your turbo (not like he wont be able to hear that BOV).

brandon
    Definitely the strangest recirculation I've seen, but I have to admit it does look pretty cool. I still haven't changed my stupid long-ass pool hose. haha

What'd you end up doing for the return line? If you don't mind dishing out another $50 the turbochargers.com one works pretty well for me. I get about 5-10 drops of leakage when I turn the car off but otherwise it's held up nicely... and it probably wouldn't leak at all if had a gasket on the oil pan side instead of using copper spray.

Can't wait to see what kind of #s you end up with. Any dyno or track plans?

excellent.
    isn't it great being able to pass on the highway without downshifting.

and no seth(sorry peano), I was the first to use copper elbows for recirculation!!
    just temp until i find something else.
    i figured using metal elbows would reflect more bov sound into my intake to make it a bit louder, as opposed to rubber rad hose. Didn't think of the super cool clear tubing though.
    probably the only ghetto rigging on my car.

Can't wait to see vids. i wish we could get all the turbo G's together and have a shootout. It would be sweet to have a triathalon competition: drag, road race, circuit track.

Great job Matt! lets get you a head swap and some forged pistons!!!!
    LOL

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Faction
    Mmmmm turbo. When is punjabi going to go turbo?? haha jp man. MATT when i come to california you have to take me for a ride in that monster!

What about cooling?

good work peano, glad you aren't a ricer anymore

sorry dohcstunr, i was using those copper bends back when i had a 1g bov. i'm using them again now on the hks ssqv temporarily while i work out some tuning issues. the only reason i used them before though is because it was the first thing that popped into mind. now i'm using them because it's the only way i can route it without the hose pinching.

a recirculated bov shouldn't be loud, it shouldn't be audible from another car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast