The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6 1/2" Speakers in 6 3/4" Front Door Openings

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

6 1/2" Speakers in 6 3/4" Front Door Openings

i recently brought some 6 1/2 inch speakers thinking they would come with an oversize ring but they didnt so i thought i was stuck until shipping could bring me those rings from Crutchfield or CarDomain or something but i didnt want to wait that long because i could take the buzzing so this is what i found out was possible.

1. First you remove the stock speakers.

2. On the rear of the factory speakers there is a plastic housing that holds the 4 mounting tabs that hold the speaker in.

3. It is possible to remove this by pulling back the tabs holding it to the speaker it may seem hard at first but they just pull back make sure not to break them.

4. After u remove all of the tabs holding the speaker it is easy to just pull the housing off the only thing holding it on is glue.

5. Now get the plastic housing and drill holes in the circular area that can fit the mounting holes of the new speaker. I had to bend mine to make it fit but its easy to do so no worries.

6. screw your new speaker in and screw in your housing and your good to go.
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

I cut part of the black plastic part that hold the front door speakers, and put in some 6"x9"s and they sound freaking great. (7th Gen.)

damn i never thought of trying it on my 7g. im gonna hav to do that what all did u hav to do?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Umm well I took of the door panels. but of course. and I don't know how it is on a 8th Gen. but on a 7th gen they have these black plastic speaker holder things and I just cut one side of them on the side just enough so that the 6"x9"s sat flush with the rest and then I also had to cut some of the door trim on the inside just so it would sit flush and not push on the door pannel at all. Its not perfect of course, I mean theres gap at the top and bottom of the speakers but the speakers are 2 ways and so they give me really good highs and good enough lows that there not shaking the hell out of my mirrors on my doors. I'm pretty sure some one else could give you a better explanation of how to do it, 'cause when I did it I was just kinda experamenting with it. On the speakers I used they used to be in my Ford Bronco that I used to have and I took them out when I messed up the front axel when I was off roading. On the speakers they said they were fit for "Ford" and all thats saying is there a little bit smaller then an actuall 6"x9" speaker. Hope it helps... if not PM me and I'll see what I can do about taking pictures of what I did.

front speakers...

it is kinda difficult for the fronts with the 6.5's, so i had to order that same ring thing and it still didn't work, so i had to drill new screw holes to make it fit...but my shiznit sounds tite...

good deals
    I got my 6.5s at home waiting for me to install them
    I found out after I grabbed them up that I might have to get a ring of some sort to make them fit properly
    but this works too
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

hope everything works out for you guys. I like my speakers and everything, but I just need to get rid of the stock tape player.

Here are some pictures of my 6"x9"'s in the front door pannel.

i just did mine today it was easy...but putting tha fuckin door panals was a bitch hahhaha
    R.I.P. My fellow Galant owner. May God be with you and your family.

here is how i installed mine:

original screws and some washers. don't know the size, but you can guage it by the pic or get an assortment and find the best one to work. washers are cheap. and this way, you don't have to worry about the plastic ring around the stock speakers breaking or having any play.
    2001 Mitsu Galant ES 4Cyl.

DSM420
    im about to replace my rear 6x9s tomorrow when i do the wires and splice them is the radio going to need to be reset ? do you know ? btw its a 02 i dont think that matters at all.

why do you want 6x9 instead of normal circle. seems like you can fit bigger speakers than these in there? What is so special about 6x9?

DSM420
    most likely cuz they are everywhere? idk tho.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM420 View Post
    im about to replace my rear 6x9s tomorrow when i do the wires and splice them is the radio going to need to be reset ? do you know ? btw its a 02 i dont think that matters at all.

no you wont need to reset your radio

this guy....... had me thinking lonestar came back

DSM420
    thanks i didn't really foresee it being necessary but i thought i would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_db View Post

no you wont need to reset your radio

this guy....... had me thinking lonestar came back