The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LED Brake/driving lights

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

LED Brake/driving lights

Okay I was thinking about doing something that I don't belive has ever been tried before on a Galant. I was thinking about putting a hell of a lot of LED's and hook them up to the break lights and using LED lights insted of using bulbs. If you don't completly under stand this heres a better example.

The LED break lights on a spoilers but, make something of my own that will fit inside the regular tail lights using maybe 200+ LEDs.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

its possible. its gonna take alot of planning and time. lots of planning though cuz led's can be expensive.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I just bought a bulk of 100 Red and 100 Blue along with 100 12v resistors, and all that only cost $32. I've been thinking about doing that and just wonderd if it might be possible, but not with these LED's I have something else planned for them. I just don't know why I bought Blue... I'll probably sell those off for what I paid for them. who knows.

how big are the led's? got the specs on them? there probably is a better way of hooking up the led's than soldering resistors to all of them. just gotta know the specs.

Description

Emitted Colour : Red

Size (mm) : 3mm

Lens Colour : Water Clear

Peak Wave Length (nm) : 620 ~ 630

Forward Voltage (V) : 1.8 ~ 2.2

Reverse Current (uA) : <= 30

Luminous Intensity Typ Iv (mcd) : 4000(Typical) ~ 5000(Max)

Life Rating : 100,000 Hours

Viewing Angle : 20 Degree

Absolute Maximum Ratings ( Ta = 25°C )

Max Power Dissipation : 80 mw

Max Continuous Forward Current : 30 mA

Max Peak Forward Current : 75 mA

Reverse Voltage : 5 ~ 6 V

Lead Soldering Temperature : 240°C ( < 5 Sec )

Operating Temperature Range : -25°C ~ +85°C

Preservative Temperature Range : -30°C ~ +100°C

Theres the specs. I know I wont have to put resistors to all of them I just wanted them so when I do projects that only require one or so.

3mm led's are way too small IMO. you're gonne be there for weeks if you use 3mm led's

I think I would perfer the 3mm's because then if I do it just right it would look really cool and be really bright.

how much spacing did you want between the led's? i mean if you were to line them up side by side, you can fit 500 led's in an area the size of a credit card.

my supplier can get me 1000 led's for 30 bucks. think about how much its gonna cost you to just get the led's. and then the soldering time.

well then maybe I will be needing bigger ones before attempting this. Thanks.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    my supplier can get me 1000 led's for 30 bucks.</div>

Whats the specs on those and will you sell them for me for the same price?

I did this setup on my 01 Mirage before it got totaled. I made 2 circles on each and it is freakin bright. I used about 100 red LEDs. I used 5mm LEDs.

3mm version or the 5mm version? the 10mm led's are about double the price.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    5mm. also, can you get some white ones in 3mm size? Pricing would be nice. Can you also buy the resistors to make them into 12v both the red and white?

Experienced TGC Member
    Jip has a BS in Electrical Engineering...you don't need 100 resistors for the 100 leds. In any case, you could have gotten this job done with like 10 jumbo leds. The cost would be about the same if you bought them from RadioShack, but much easier for you to build.

OR You could just buy something ready made:

http://jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servle...roductId=150922

about 1" circle, 1.5" deep outputs 1950mcd. $5 bucks.
    Maybe a few of them wired together for brighter display, they are small enough.

RadioShack has some ultra bright LED's but there like $2.50 a pop while if you order from Jameco, Mouser or some other big supplier they're around 30 cents each for quantities under 10 and get cheaper the more you buy. However those companies usualy have like $20 minimum orders.

The viewing angle of the LED is also very important because its only extremely bright when your looking at the LED at that specific angle. Keep that in mind when you mount them.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

WOW.... I just got my LED's today... and damn there small... I think what i wanted was the 5mm LED's... but all well... I'll work with them.