The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car Won't Move

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    EnvyMe

Car Won't Move

i'm having problems with my 7g galant, the engine can start up fine, no problems, but when i shift it into drive the car won't move. the only thing that happens is the engine revving up like i have it in neutral. i had the tranny rebuilt in september

anybody have any ideas what the problem could be?

I don't know to much about tranny's or anything, but it sounds like one of the cables that lead from the shifter to the tranny broke or got loose and that would cause that to happen. Does the PRND21 change on the guage cluster when you put it in gear?

EnvyMe
    yeah it goes into drive, reverse, neutral with no problem, it's just that it won't move. if i let it rest for a few minutes with the engine off, turn it back on and shift into drive the car will move but then after a few seconds all that happens is the engine revving up and the car will come to a gradual stop

Mindless
    Got an check engine lights? Plenty of fluid in the tranny?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Happened to me on my 2nd G. sometime you gotta put it in reverse back up bout 2 inches and then put it in drive. Has to deal with the tranny fluid i think. My problem stopped after a tranny oil and filter change.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Proto
    Take it back to the place who rebuilt it..

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>Take it back to the place who rebuilt it..</div>

That is good advice...have it checked by the people that rebuilt the tranny. Don't try anything else that may further damage what is already wrong with the car. It sounds like the shifter cable linkages broken or got loose. If its a actual tranny issue...then thats the problem of the place that rebuilt it if they stand by their warranty.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

sounds like stripped torque converter splines.
    it SHOULD have been rebuilt when the tranny was, but probably wasnt.

definatly sounds to be the responsability of the repairing company. where did you get it done?

EnvyMe
    well when i took it back to cottman transmissions they said it was their fault, the transmission wasn't rebuilt correctly, and i had a 2 year warranty on it....so now all i have to do is wait a week for them to fix it and hopefully they will do it right this time

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EnvyMe)</div><div class='quotemain'>well when i took it back to cottman transmissions they said it was their fault, the transmission wasn't rebuilt correctly, and i had a 2 year warranty on it....so now all i have to do is wait a week for them to fix it and hopefully they will do it right this time</div>

Which Cottman Transmissions did you go to, i use to deliver to the one on eastchester road in the bronx.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678