The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SAFC Question

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    TGC Regular

SAFC Question

Hello , I was looking on ebay for the Super Air Fuel Converter..safc
    This up comming weekend Im getting my full exhaust customly done..by menekie from my long headers back 2.25" piping to a ractive muffler.

But.. I just wanted to know a bit more about SAFC. I saw there were alot of models of them ..and they had specific models for cars. Im guessing since ...companies dont look at the galant as being a performance vehicle , would I look to get a SAFC designed for the 00-03 Eclipse? Since its the same engine but more of a sports car..

So Im asking what SAFC would I look into getting..

Thanks
    Donovan.
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    You can just buy a safc off ebay for like 250 which is a universal unit, no need to get one specific for our ride, because well they dont make one. The whole premise behind the afc is to actually tune the air fuel curve and try to either richen it up or lean it back, depending on the rpm and throttle position. if you need the diagrams, i got them saved, hell you know that already, i got your back D..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HeadAche)</div><div class='quotemain'>You can just buy a safc off ebay for like 250 which is a universal unit, no need to get one specific for our ride, because well they dont make one. The whole premise behind the afc is to actually tune the air fuel curve and try to either richen it up or lean it back, depending on the rpm and throttle position. if you need the diagrams, i got them saved, hell you know that already, i got your back D..</div>

Thanks Headache , so I guess when the ebay sellers specify there Apex i SAFC tools they put them in car categories to just show that they ca go with any car..or to catch the buyers eye ..

ThankS! This wil be my next electronic after I get my exhaust done
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    so u can get a performance gains at certain RPMs and throttle pressures from an SAFC? I always thought it was just a better way to read your ratios

TGC Regular
    Come on bro , why would I pay 150+ to read my aiffuel ratios

Its ok *pats on the back*
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>so u can get a performance gains at certain RPMs and throttle pressures from an SAFC? I always thought it was just a better way to read your ratios</div>

lol. you adjust the fuel curve for the rpm range. you can squeeze some power out of your motor with bigger injectors and an afc.

i dont know if the afc would be worth it for you. i bet you could get some serious power from a V6 with one of these + injectors, but for a 4 banger, not worth the money you'd spend.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>so u can get a performance gains at certain RPMs and throttle pressures from an SAFC? I always thought it was just a better way to read your ratios</div>

lol. you adjust the fuel curve for the rpm range. you can squeeze some power out of your motor with bigger injectors and an afc.

i dont know if the afc would be worth it for you. i bet you could get some serious power from a V6 with one of these + injectors, but for a 4 banger, not worth the money you'd spend.</div>

So just like alot of so called little performance upgrades , it aint worth the money until you really pump some true FI into the engine.

What about getting better gas mileage of out this tool..I"ve heard that from time to time
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    I say its worth the money, your gonna burn more gas running extremely with no way to lean it back. Not including running that rich, you run the chance or burning up your o2 and cat because of the fuel not burning properly. Do this D in a month's time give or take, pull your plugs out and tell me how much fuel you smell as well as how much carbon build-up you have on your plugs.

IN some cases you will save gas, because getting the afc tuned will get both mixtures right, in turn you get more power as well as your gas mileage will go up.
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HeadAche)</div><div class='quotemain'>I say its worth the money, your gonna burn more gas running extremely with no way to lean it back. Not including running that rich, you run the chance or burning up your o2 and cat because of the fuel not burning properly. Do this D in a month's time give or take, pull your plugs out and tell me how much fuel you smell as well as how much carbon build-up you have on your plugs.

IN some cases you will save gas, because getting the afc tuned will get both mixtures right, in turn you get more power as well as your gas mileage will go up.</div>

Exactly , and thanks.

Just to add to what you said.. as a matter of fact;
    When I put my new headers on ...about a month before that I changed my o2 sensor because it wet bad on me...and in the process of putting my headers on , I noticed my cat was cracked aroundn the brim..bring me that egg smell and an off reading to my o2 sensor which in turn would hurt my gas mileage.

As you all already know Ill be getting a whole new header back exhaust so that'll be taken care of , and this SAFC will help. But I gotta stop spending so much on the car
    Donovan J.

I dont mind looking.