The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help! JDM 63T w/ Cyclone swap {renamed}

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 70
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>in doing the engine swap, do i need to get a new wire harness or will the one for the 4g64 work with the jdm 63t. Â*That's the only reason i was contemplating getting the wire harness, but i missed it all together Â* Â*

i'll check out dsmtrader</div>
    you are going top need a harness so you can identify and cut the ecu plugs off. It will also make it easier for you since you can use the resistor pack conector, ignition transistor conector, coil pack connector, cam angle sensor conector, the connector for your boost control solenoid. and i don't know if i'm leaving anything out. that way you can have an easy, clean, and waterproof wiring setup, instead of a bunch of spade connectors. PLEASE make sure you solder and heatshrink every single wire before you wrap each connector group in electrical tape, then awiring loom, then electrical tape(just like factory) you want to ensure that you have no shorts now or ever, and that all electrical conections remain free of oxidation so as to maintain a healthy resistance level. It takes a little longer to do it right, but i'm alot more willing to show people whats under the hood since i kept it all clean)

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    what if i was able to get ahold of 1g ecu and wiring harness, then i could just plug everything in right. or 2g for that matter. Im trying to save time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>what if i was able to get ahold of 1g ecu and wiring harness, then i could just plug everything in right. Â* or 2g for that matter. Im trying to save time.</div>

from another thread:

seriously the only way to do this is to create a hybrid harness.
    you are going to want to identify and label every single wire at the ecu plugs for your galant harness. place your labels a few inches back from the connectors to give you room to work with, then cut off the ecu plugs. then do the same w/ the eclipse harness, but place the labels within a half inch of the ecu plugs, and cut the wires about 4 inches from the connector. Then using pinout diagrams for your stock galant ecu, and the eclipse ecu of your choice, match up every wire, solder and heatshrink every single one, one by one. but make sure you leave the eclipse labels on every wire.(you can get electrical wiring labels at the home depot) the reason you want to keep your stock harness, is because its already the right length and fits your car plus it has to not only plug into the ecu and engine properly, but it has to plug into your cruise control, and the body harness that has many vital things like your instrument cluster, and fuse box harness.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

you are probably going to want to go with the 2nd gen ecu setup cause there are some compatability issues with the speedometer and wheel speed sensor. i think i may have them figured out, but its pretty complicated and would be easier to just go the other way.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I see it as if your car is OBD1 then go with a 1g ECU. OBDII, 2g ECU. For me being OBDII, the ECU swap was rather simple after I figured out what needed to be done. But I dont know how 94-96 ECUs are setup, so start looking at those diagrams
    7g for life!

looking at what seth and the other guy posted on this thread,. It looks like the two ecu's are different from 94-96 to 97-98. and what i'm looking at is the plug's 94 has 3, 98 has 4. Where can i find diagrams to find the differences between 1g and 2g? i'guess i'd have better luck searching dsm sights for those. hehe :?

i guess i need a print out of every pin and what it does...

{As we check back with our hero}
    Look what i just found momentsd after i posted the other.

found this sight with this pdf file, if you go down to mitsubishi eclipse 2nd gen
    http://www.plxdevices.com/ecudatabase.htm
    compared too...

the Galant 4pin is teh same setup at 2g turbo ECUs. My 4pin connectors plugged directly into the 2g ECU. I just had to change a few wires around and add a few wires.

As for the OBDI galants and 1g ECUs, Im not sure how those work, maybe mr John or Sabzi can tell you
    7g for life!

when i looked at the 1g diagram it didn't even come close to matching up with with the 94 ecu. no where near to close. This is probably the only time i wish i had a 97, 98. Went to the junk yard today, all they had were 1g's but all the ecu's were gone, none were turbo thou, most were sohc. found one 1g dohc n/t. thought about it, but figured i probably couldn't use it.

One junk yard had a 95 turbo ecu prt # MD 309947. any way to tell if it is eprom by the numbers only. just got off the phone with the local mitsubishi dealer parts guy. he said it's for gst.

were most 95 models eprom or just gsx?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>when i looked at the 1g diagram it didn't even come close to matching up with with the 94 ecu. Â*no where near to close. Â*This is probably the only time i wish i had a 97, 98. Â*Went to the junk yard today, all they had were 1g's but all the ecu's were gone, none were turbo thou, most were sohc. Â*found one 1g dohc n/t. Â*thought about it, but figured i probably couldn't use it.

One junk yard had a 95 turbo ecu prt # MD 309947. any way to tell if it is eprom by the numbers only. Â*just got off the phone with the local mitsubishi dealer parts guy. he said it's for gst.

were most 95 models eprom or just gsx?</div>

all 95 eclipse turbo ecu's were eprom, no matter what the part number
    but just to be sure that their ecu wasn't replaced, there should be an e somewhere by itself on the part label and also usually right after the last 3 digits on the side.
    look on ebay too if the price isn't right at the yard.
    and since its an eprom, it doesn't matter if its california, automatic, awd or front wheel drive, cause you can have the chip made to whatever your setup is.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

nice!! they wanted 175, so i'm going to get it tomorrow. I think i read on vfaq the e was on the top, not the side, and if it has a m, or another letter it's not.

Replacing the chip will also remove the speed limiter?

now i just need an engine harness, to make it easier, anyone have a 2g or 97,98 harness they will part with

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>nice!! they wanted 175, so i'm going to get it tomorrow. Â*I think i read on vfaq the e was on the top, not the side, and if it has a m, or another letter it's not. Â*

Replacing the chip will also remove the speed limiter?

now i just need an engine harness, to make it easier, anyone have a 2g or 97,98 harness they will part with Â* Â*:D</div>
    ask the yard if they have one of those too. and yes they can remove the speed limiter if you please

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

these guys are diks actually. They act like they don't want to help me. or i don't have the money to buy... good ole' missouri :evil: but i asked them, they said they didn't have the engine harness. i really think that since it's hot as hell they don't want to go out in the heat. I can see about 3-4 2g's from the entrance. and i know the g their pulling that ecu out of has the wire harness.

bass tards :doubleup:

If you are going with a 2g ECU, theres no need for a 2g harness...
    7g for life!

i have a 94, galant... three plug ecu.

I have a set of the 4 2g style plugs if you want them. Came with my ECU. I can even give you some extra pins that you may need. PM me with your addy and Ill ship it tomorrow
    7g for life!

those will help, but you are still going to need all the conectors for your coil packs, resistor, jdm galant vr4 cam angle sensor, and transistor pack.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'>those will help, but you are still going to need all the conectors for your coil packs, resistor, jdm galant vr4 cam angle sensor, and transistor pack.</div>

as complcated or complex as it seems, its actually a fairly easy swap. just a lot of parts to hoarde.
    but once you have them, it's all downhill

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

ok... so say i get 2g ecu and wire harness. what will i need then. the harness should cover the coil packs, right? but what about the resistor cam angle sensor and transistor pack. I would think all those are on usdm gst, but would they be included in the wire harness

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast