The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrading to dual caliper

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Upgrading to dual caliper

I'm looking to upgrade to dual piston calipers on my i4 8g. I found a junkyard selling these for $100 for the two front calipers. What else do I need to do the upgrade? Is it a direct swap fit? Do I need new brake lines?

TIA!

dual caliper pistons?? what are those? you mean dual piston calipers??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    dual caliper pistons?? what are those? you mean dual piston calipers??
    Yes, you right.. my bad. Any ideas?

you're also gonna need new pads and rotors that were made for the calipers you purchased. now owuld also be a good time to replace your brake lines since you'd have to disconnect the lines and bleed them anyways during hte conversion

What is the benefit of replacing the brakelines? Are they hard to replace?

i don't know if 8th gens offfer dual piston calipers on any of their models. but i know you could just grab some from a 1999 and up diamante LS. those would probably work

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    If memory serves correct the model year 99 G's some come with dual piston calipers.

there were dual piston calipers offered in the 99-00 models.

What are diff about the brake lines on the V6 model and the i4?

the hard lines and the fittings at the end of the hard lines are going to be the same on every model galanet.
    but the flex lines are going to be different/ as well as their interface/ fitting with the caliper, dual piston caliper, rear discs or rear drums.

if you are pulling the discs and rotors from a 99-00 galant, then just order a stainless steel brake line kit for that model year. no big deal.
    they will be cheaper than stock, feel 10x better, and performe beyond your wildest dreams. and if you have ABS, then it only gets better.
    With stainless lines you will have less pedal travel, no more abs pulse at the pedal(due to the lines no longer flexing), the abs will actually cycle faster, and your brakes will work together better cause there is no way for the brakes to show left/ right bias due to one line flexing more than the other.
    make sure you bleed your entire system with some high boiling point fluid.
    dot 4 or a hogher compatable. i used valvoline synthetic fluid(ususally i don't use anythingg valvoline) cause it had the highest of the shelf boiling point without having to order some motul(expensive).

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Thanks! AWESOME info!

How much do you think those stainless brake lines will cost?

well i would first figure out what models galant and eclipse came with that setup.
    perhaps have someone do some caps searching for you
    then find out what model applications would be desired.
    then find someone that sells a kit for the model.
    you could email some ebay sellers to find out if they have the brake lines for the desires model too. cause sometimes they can make them/ get them. but they don't regularly list them because there isn't typically a large enough market to benifit them. or they aren't aware the demand exists.
    irotors has a company make their lines. they made kit for my dad's diamante. and the lines arerediculous sexy, dop not sweat or leak, and perform quite well.
    but thats all the info i have for you cause 8th gens are really beyond my focused dsm know how.
    i just wanted to step in and shoot some ideas.
    so there you go.

now get out there and be somebody!

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

RRE has the brake line kit for 85 bucks. one of the cheapest i've seen.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    the hard lines and the fittings at the end of the hard lines are going to be the same on every model galanet.
    but the flex lines are going to be different/ as well as their interface/ fitting with the caliper, dual piston caliper, rear discs or rear drums.

if you are pulling the discs and rotors from a 99-00 galant, then just order a stainless steel brake line kit for that model year. no big deal.
    they will be cheaper than stock, feel 10x better, and performe beyond your wildest dreams. and if you have ABS, then it only gets better.
    With stainless lines you will have less pedal travel, no more abs pulse at the pedal(due to the lines no longer flexing), the abs will actually cycle faster, and your brakes will work together better cause there is no way for the brakes to show left/ right bias due to one line flexing more than the other.
    make sure you bleed your entire system with some high boiling point fluid.
    dot 4 or a hogher compatable. i used valvoline synthetic fluid(ususally i don't use anythingg valvoline) cause it had the highest of the shelf boiling point without having to order some motul(expensive).

Great info, think I'll jump on the SS boat now.

While I think braided steel lines are definitely better than the stock line, you really won't feel much of a difference in the pedal feel, and I would be surprised if you even notice any difference at all. You won't feel it on the street, and I didn't feel much of a difference on the track. I'm not saying don't do it, in fact you should, but I just don't want you to be disappointed when they don't feel amazingly different.

I understand this to be old posting however, my driver side caliper froze up, and am interested in installing dual piston calipers as well (2002 Galant ES-V6).

Would like to confirm the following;
    - 1999 and 2000 Galants (4 and 6 cylinders?), (certain models 4-cylinder DE ,ES, ES V6, LS, GTZ or all model Galants?) have dual piston calipers? Do certain Eclipse years / models also have dual piston calipers?
    - Is using Galant donor vehicle better than using Eclipse vehicle( if Eclipse can be used)?

Is installing the dual piston calipers a "bolt on" upgrade or are additional items needed from donor vehicle, such as;
    - Master cylinder needed from donor vehicle or able to use existing master cylinder?
    - Rotors and brake pads needed from donor vehicle? If rotors and pads are purchased new, need to buy for donor vehicle where calipers were removed from
    - Brake lines need to be removed from donor vehicle or can existing brake lines be used?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by GSpeed; 08-20-2011 at 11:32 AM

basic info here the easiest thing is to find a v6 galant or eclipse swap is direct bolt on but you need the v6 rotors they are about an inch larger in dia. and the brake lines will work they did for mine just the rear swap you need the lines

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    99-may 01 galant v6 ;00 eclipse gt v6;there the same parts but you will need rotors n pads for that specific year you take them off;

when i did the swap i rebuilt the calipers which i highly recommend before just throwing them on

Thank you for replies and confirmation with regard to parts and year / model vehicles needed.
    I do appreciate it.
    02redgalant, since I wouldn't be able to use my existing 2002 ES-V6 parts (calipers, rotors and pads) if swap is performed, would purchasing calipers new for 1999 Galant V6, be dual piston calipers?
    Again, thank you for your time.
    Last edited by GSpeed; 08-21-2011 at 10:07 AM