The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My road trip to NY and my rim experience

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

My road trip to NY and my rim experience

Aight, well as you guys can see from my sig I have big rims and low-pro tires. Well I'm drivin, thinkin everything is cool and after I got past the Verazanno bridge, I hop on the Brooklyn-Queens Expwy. It's ok for a little bit. Then the fuckin pot holes start. It was very hard to avoid them b/c it was late at night. Those fucking things were tearin my shocks up! I couldn't believe how bad it was. Makin big noises. Felt like the shock went through my hole car. I was freakin out too! I thought I had dented my rims. So I am goin about 50 MPH and all of the sudden three cars speed by. All three were fixed up. All had big rims and skinny tired and they were going about 90. The whole time I was up there people were flyin on shitty roads with small tires. I don't understand it. Is it somethin fucked up wit my shocks or do people in NY not give a damn about their cars? Where I live it aint really a problem less I go down to Downtown Bmore. Anythin I can do to avoid situations like this? Better shocks? I don't wanna get rid of my rims, but damn! I don't wanna go on another trip with them on unless I can find a way to smoothen the ride.

learn how to drive with the potholes. my car is lowered and sometimes i do roll around with my 18's on. and to tell you the truth, im not afraid of potholes really. i even went off roading with my 18's a few times. not as nice as when i had my smaller wheels on but it can be done.

but yea, before the drop before the 18's i'd just drive. not giving a damn with the potholes. but when i got the 18's and the drop things changed. i gave myself a bigger distance between me and the car in front of me. i am constantly scanning the road left to right making sure that there wasn't an hazzards like potholes in front of me. and because i left that big gap between me and the car in front of me, if there was a hazzard i'd have a plan on how to dodge it by the time i got to the pothole. or if i couldn't, slow down so the hit isn't as hard.

oh yea. downtown bmore isn't that bad. i used to drive there daily with no problems

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

So what they hell is with people from NY

So as long as I have a solid wheel, I don't need to worry about any denting or anything?

what im saying is. if you enhance your driving skill to scan the road and avoid the pothole in the first place then you don't have to worry about damage from it.

but a quality strong wheel will take a beating to the pothole much better than some POS wheel.

I'm pretty good at dodging them but just at night it is tough b/c of limited sight. But thanks for the replies. Guess I'll just try harder to dodge them at night.

TGC Regular
    All I can say is welcome to NY lol. Yeah the roads are shitty here, but if you live here, you know where to drive. If you are in Brooklyn, try to avoid Flatbush ave, Church ave and Atlantic ave. Not only are they always congested, but they are filled with potholes

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    what im saying is. if you enhance your driving skill to scan the road and avoid the pothole in the first place then you don't have to worry about damage from it.

but a quality strong wheel will take a beating to the pothole much better than some POS wheel.
    You never drove in NY or Long Island, have you? Everytime I drive to Queens or Long Island for a meet, I pray. The last time I went to Long Island for a meet, I had just installed my Tein SS-P Dampers and there are roads that have more pot holes than actual road to drive on so you cannot avoid them, period. It's like a mine field. I don't know how people who live in NYC drive around with modified suspensions and big rims. The roads are bad enough up my way, but I'm able to avoid most pot holes up here.

i used to drive through new york all the time. my gf has this obsession with shopping over there. i'll admit the roads are pretty bad. and the drivers in NYC are even worser. but i've been through worse. or at least compared to what i've driven through in NYC.

NYmagicstk
    After I lowered my car last week, I broke my driver's side axel. NYC = Bad for lowered cars.
    Those people you saw fly past with big rims brobably drive the BQE all the time, and know where the holes are, or are just ignorant.

Just remember, when in doubt about the road...

"Two miles an hour so everybody sees you..."

when he said BQE, i knew exactly which stretch of road he was refferring to. im not sure what are the exit numbers but the road conditions are so bad, it says speed limit = 45 mph. "potholes" doesnt begin to discribe this stretch of road. when ppl say "pothole", they picture a flat road with a hole in it; very avoidable. "many potholes", ppl picture something like swiss cheese, which is still avoidable. the road is more like driving on steps. a cross section of the road would look something like : ```__,---'```'---,___/````___. theres about 4 different levels of floor. i just gun it thru this section so that it feels smoother, tho its probably bad on my struts. going slower just makes u feel the "steps" even more. picture a slice of swiss cheese. now add another slice on top of that. add 2 more slices on top of that. now take a hotwheels car and drive over that

Xska55
    you gotta keep your eyes on the road, you need quick reflexes and you have to stay familiar with the roads you take the most.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devgrp)</div><div class='quotemain'>All I can say is welcome to NY lol. </div>

I was about to say the same thing......on my way home from Long Island there is this huge bump, so u crusing nice smooth roads then BAM welcome to Queens

I know exactly where u talking about too, but be happy it wasnt the Belt Parkway

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Qnzfinestplaya)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devgrp)</div><div class='quotemain'>All I can say is welcome to NY lol. </div>

I was about to say the same thing......on my way home from Long Island there is this huge bump, so u crusing nice smooth roads then BAM welcome to Queens

I know exactly where u talking about too, but be happy it wasnt the Belt Parkway</div>

oh my god the fucking belt is the worst, remember when we was driving to MD and we went over that overpass. I could of swore my shit was bent.

The BQE is bad but only comming from SI. I dodge one hole the other day you could see the rebars bad, it looks like a quilt of how many times they have patched those roads