The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: replacing factory muffler...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

replacing factory muffler...

Hey guys. I was looking into replacing the factory muffler on my car but I have no knowledge of what to get. I was thinking of a muffler with 2 tips and whatever is the easiest to put on. I know there are tons of mufflers but i'm a n00b on this subject anyone have any suggestions? I'll spend up to $200. Thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    $200 will get you pretty much any muffler you want. my first muffler i got for $45 on ebay back in the day and it was pretty smooth. since you got money to spend, you're going to want to stay away from shitty no-name brand mufflers, and get something from a brand you've heard of before. dual tipped looks best on our stock rear bumpers.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

you have any particular style that you prefer?

oval pips
    round tips
    square tips
    angled cut tips
    tips that point upwards
    dual canister mufflers
    chrome finish
    titanium finish
    black finish
    loud
    quiet

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Mindless
    I have and will always stand by bosal brospeed. They're cheap and great quality.

There won't be one that will be easier to put on than others because they will all have to be welded on unless you just want to clamp it on.

wow...so many choices. I found a site www.andysautosport.com . anyone ever buy from these guys? They have a huge selection. I'm really looking for a quiet chrome angle cut dual tip muffler. Nothing that screams "ricer" lol. My uncle has a garage with a lift in it but dont know if he has the tools/knowledge to install it. Is it that much do get it installed at a shop?

oh yeah....and i saw on past posts that people were worried about not passing inspection. Why would this happen?

Magnflow has several to choose from...
    http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdis...one=main&id=386

A muffler shop will charge you about $50-75 for installation, and if you go to a Magnaflow dealer they can get the muffler from a warehouse and usually install it the same day or next day.

About inspection... some state laws explicitly forbid anyone from altering the exhaust at all. Most states allow modifications within certain noise and pollution requirements though.
    Jesse

1994 Galant GS

damn...those things are nice but they are all over $200.....still gotta check if there is any laws restricting me.

if you buy them straight from magnaflow they will be expensive but if you buy them from a shop that sells them, it'll be much cheaper.

probably... I found a bunch of dealers near me so im guessing theres no restrictions, but i'll call them up and ask them anyway. It looks like 7G's are offset because the pipe isn't in the middle. hope it doesnt cost me more money for a pipe bend or sumthin. :?

chances are, no matter what, your new muffler will be a different size than your oem muffler. meaning pipe will be needed anyways.

sounds like I got a good knowledge of what to look for now. Thanks for all the help guys. This forum is the best galant forum I could ever stumble upon.

I'm kinda gettin scared here guys. I'm reading a bunch of reviews for the magnaflows and I get mixed opinions. People say they sound tinny and at high rpm's it's impossible to hear yourself inside the car and others say its amazingly deep and throaty and quiet. Anyone have any experience with magnaflows and can suggest the quietest one?

I had a magnaflow, now be aware that every car has different tone that comes out the muffler, honda's always should tinny and raspy, while mitsu's have a smoother tone

most likely I will end up buying this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7988618254 . think this is a good muffler? and it wont be a problem if the hole is not offset like the galant is set up for?

that looks like a good muffler. its says its the street muffler would is actually better than the race series on the i4, in terms of sound quality.

as for the hole not being offset, it shouldn't be a problem, you just have to find you a shop that doesn't have knuckleheads working at it.

I've had a Magnaflow on my Mirage for a year and I still like it. It's nice and deep and smooth, and it's only a 1.8L engine. The 2.4 should sound real nice.

Like pinoy said, find a good shop. The one I went to for my catback essentially yelled at me for asking them to do things that were slightly more difficult than counting to 10. Make sure you tell them you want the muffler pointed straight back, otherwise they might weld it on at an angle like you see on most Jap tuner cars. They have to cut the factory pipe somewhere over the rear suspension in order to route the pipe where they need to. And, if you're not uptight about every ounce of power, they can do a kamikaze bend right before the muffler or weld the pipe on at an angle, but only if absolutely necessary. You'll lose a couple horsepower from the lack of smooth flow, but it shouldn't really be noticable on the "butt dyno".
    Jesse

1994 Galant GS

called a shop near me and he said it would cost $75-$125 to install. I still gotta call some more shops cuz it sounds a little pricey :x

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slayer544)</div><div class='quotemain'>called a shop near me and he said it would cost $75-$125 to install. I still gotta call some more shops cuz it sounds a little pricey Â*:x</div>

Nah, most places will charge around that much, even though they shouldn't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slayer544)</div><div class='quotemain'>called a shop near me and he said it would cost $75-$125 to install. I still gotta call some more shops cuz it sounds a little pricey Â*:x</div>

Nah, most places will charge around that much, even though they shouldn't.</div>

yep thats the case. I mean they even charged me $90 to put it back to the original... damn shops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast