The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gauge Install's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar

Gauge Install's

I figured i'd start a post where people can give tutorials on how to install different types of gauges. Most importantly where to install senders.

After talking to a few people about how to install my oil pressure gauge, i was going to go one route but decided to go a different way. that ended up being a lot cheaper.

OIL PRESSURE

At first i was going to use what is basically an add on that goes between the oil filter nad the oil filter housing. This item can be purchased for pretty cheap off Ebay. $30 bucks cool, what ever. So i bought it.

So while i'm changing my oil and going to install the pressure sender, i notice two female allen heads. After furthur inspection i noticed that they are not really "holding" anything on. The oil filter housing is one solid piece. I noticed that inside the oil filter housing there was what looked to be a second indention. Same place where the upper allen head is.

Long story short, the allen heads are plugs. The lower allen is at the bottom of the oil deposit shaft for the filter, the upper allen, looks into the return to the engine after the filter. Or it might be vice verses.

Either way i chose to use the lower plug

I'm using AutoMeter Gauges, cobalt series and mine came with a sender and also adapter bushing. The adapter bushing didn't fit, so i went to true value, or any other hardware store, and got a 3/8 mp. to 1/8 mp. for $.88 or $.95 after tax.

The adapter appears to not be flush because the nut is angle upward. The adapter is flush along the bottom, but has a lil space on the top side.
    The stock oil sensor is just above, i didn't have to touch it at all.

It's up to you to decide where to drill through your fire wall, for now i'll use the hole where my clutch master cylinder goes till i decide to do my swap. Hook up the power, ground and illumination wires in the same manner as the Volt Meter... speaking of which!

Volt Meter

This is the easy so i'll post this one too. Again AutoMeter, and other could be different. Basically you have 3 wires Positive, illumination and ground. I spliced in with the wires that go to my head unit. Voila!!

I'd like to see people post How To's on A/F's, Boost's, Exhaust Temp's, Ammeter. I know some may be pretty simple, but any and all advice does help.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i dont know if you wired in your volt meter in the best spot. because it's spliced in with your head unit, it might not be getting a "full" signal. the head unit is drawing X amount of current through a wire designed to handle X amount. now you wired up a volt meter in the middle of it all. i hard-wired mine to the battery through a 40amp relay, with the ignition wired in so it'll only turn on with the key. thats how all the gauges are on my gauge pod.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i used the switched 12 volt supply to the head unit. The instructions said to use a source with a switched 12 volt supply

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    i used the switched 12 volt supply to the head unit. The instructions said to use a source with a switched 12 volt supply
    a relay is the same thing. what i'm saying is, the wire you tapped into is probably maxed on the amount of current its drawing. when you start taking away amps, the voltage drops too, since they work off of each other. a switched 12v supply just means it turns on with the car. at least thats what i assume they're talking about.

the power wire for our head unit is 16gauge i believe? not good enough for both things. run 10 gauge wire to all your gauges and that should be kosher.

if it wasn't so hot i'd take pictures of my boost, egt and a/f gauge installs.

btw, why do you have a voltmeter? arn't you using an afc2? it reads the actual voltage that the ECU is getting. switch to the BAT option when your selecting your channels.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Are you Idling at 13.5?
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

TGC Regular
    looks clean

when is we gon be free????

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus
    Are you Idling at 13.5?
    that's why i dont think it's accurate. i idle at about 13.9/14v. while cruising it gets over 14.5. then again my tellow top is only a couple months old. i know the 8Gs have a little bit lower of a voltage though.

try hooking up a voltmeter directly to your battery and compare it to the gauge reading. if it's close enough then it's good enough.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

yeah i'm idleing at 13.5 or so, but also i figured i did have a pretty heavy load on it. Other thing is i'm using a cheap ass interstate battery, i've had for about a year now. Nope, no afc2 here,

Plus i've been having idle issues with my 165k motor, in gear it'll drop sometimes lower then 300 rpms, so i turned it up so when not in gear it's about 1200, then i turned it back down just before these pics to about 1000, but in gear it'll drop down to about 500, then with the air on, a lil more, and with as hot as it's been i love my AC. Probably just timing issues, but all i really need is to get through then next month or so.

Peano get those pics up for those other gauges, i'll be getting my A/F this week.

Well i was driving today, and i noticed the volt meter was bouncing back and for between 13.8 and 13.6 due to my blinkers or even brakes. Also whenever my subs are turned up and they hit, i'll notice a slight decrease in power.

Since we are talking connection, i am now under the impression that even though i'm connected in with the head unit's 12v supply, i really feel i'm getting an overall reading of the volts for the car.

EGT

first of all, don't be a douchebag like me and hook it up in the downpipe. it's not as accurate, and it's probably not as cold as it says it is. mount in in your #1 runner in the exhaust manifold.

pretty basic install. just follow the instructions. probe goes inside, with a bung clamped onto the probe, allowing you to clamp it down to the pipe. there's a fiber crush washer in the middle. they're not reusable, but i've removed the probe twice very carefully and i got lucky i guess.

Boost

Also pretty basic. I did a pretty ghetto rig on mine, only cause it was the last day on the turbo install and i just wanted to get the motor running.

Splicing into the vacuum line, i ran a threaded compression fitting to the nylon boost line. inside the rubber vacuum line is actually a threaded male end that mates up pretty well. this is not the proper method, but the best i could do with poorly stocked auto parts stores.

narrowband a/f

i dont have any pics of where i tapped, but this is probably the easiest to install. you can either tap it at the ecu or from the engine bay like i did, which is not the best way. just splice into your pre-cat o2 signal.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>EGT
    </div>

YIKES!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>EGT
    </div>

YIKES!</div>

lol, that's where it sits in the off position. don't ask me why

1994 Galant GS 5spd

mine did that before i hooked it up. it came in the box at 1300. I got the gauge used with brand new probe and wiring, i was ready to rip some ones ass over it until i hooked it up and it worked fine. now it drops below zero after its turned off.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

did any one else have trouble getting out the allen head for the Oil Pressure. Im having a hell of a time trien to get it out, any tips?
    My son was born!!! 4/18/06
    Easton
    Vya
    Ornelas

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mitsubishi_Lover)</div><div class='quotemain'>did any one else have trouble getting out the allen head for the Oil Pressure. Im having a hell of a time trien to get it out, any tips?</div>

yeah, it's harder than arguing with my ex. i had to buy allen sockets that snap onto a standard ratchet and push the shit out of it. even pb blaster did little to help

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Does this oil pressure install also work for the 8G too?
    Also I was over at club 3g.com looking up ways to install a a/f gauge and they said and showed a pic that tapping the ECU at pin#76 was the way to go. Any truth in this? I just want a more accurate reading than what one would get off the O<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>2</span> sensor.

hey what gauge podis that is it made for the 7g or another cars gauge pod?
    95' ES "Diamond"

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Voltage all depends on your batt/alt condition. Service is anything out of the range of like 13.2-14.4v or something around there.
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TunerDSM95)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey what gauge podis that is it made for the 7g or another cars gauge pod?</div>

94-01 integra. it's great because it traces the pillow pretty accurately, but there's no practical AND cosmetically pleasing way to mount it secure

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    i like your gauges..

-Pedro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast