The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A workaround to disable DRL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39
    LOST

A workaround to disable DRL

Hooking a simple automotive relay that triggers off of your tailights WILL DISABLE your DRL when you drive with your headlight swicth in the 'off postion' (i just got finished testing it); however, when u turn on just your 'tailight on' swicth, your DRL will activate with your tails but, turn the lever all the way to: 'headlights on', and you get your lowbeams at full power, another plus is your lowbeams will stay on when you turn on your high beams, and turn the headlight stalk swicth to back to 'off' and all lights go off.

no dummy lights come up, no high beam on light (unless u turn on your highs) no error codes, turn signals still work cause they run off a different wire

Ill make diagrams and take pics, the way I did it requires No permantent alteration to your wiring :-) im actually thinking of making a harness that plugs into the low beams and turn signal sockets

Im trying to locate the wire that controls the headlight trigger in the column, unfortunatly its in a bad spot on the steering column and would require micro-sodering to tap into the terminal, stupid mitiso, it might be just a lot less hassle just to run the relay off the tailights, at least you can drive around with no lights on, just cant have tailights only, its all lights on or nutin

LOST
    ok just got finished installign my custom harness on my car

9006harness

now if you dont have a gts you would need to use follow this below

9007harness

this is what it looks like wireloomed up, that extra wire is for the HID balast that I will install later

9006 finshed harness

the front marker light is what I tapped into to trigger the relay to turn on the headlights when u turn on your tailights (notice the green/white wire, thats the wire you need to tap)
    front marker light socker

hmm just use a wire spade connector if you cant find a harness

front marker light socket

just a couple of terminal connectors( i should of made the conection longer, was a pita to hook up

how I tapped the front marker light

what it looks like finished

how the tap looks connected

now you might not want to tap your front marker light, you can go to radio shack and get these fuse taps, and get an insulated angled wire connector

alternate to tap front marker

and simply slide the fuse tap into the tailight fuse and you can hook up a wire to it to connect to your relay to trigger your headlight

alternate to tap front marker

heres what it looks like with both my high and low on at the same time, benefit of this harness

high and low beam on at same time

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Good job .

why? is there a problem with DRLs? they do work for what theyre intended to do, you know.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    what is DRL?
    -Pedro

LOST
    Daytime runnign lights are worthless, if some1 thinks DRLs help them in some sort of way; then they have been brainwashed by GM, the only time DRLs help you is when a person is an idiot and doesnt turn on their headlight during dusk, dawn, rain, fog, etc. Which are the times that you should fully turn on your headlights so ppl can see the rear of your car and not rear end you

btw if you think daytime runnign lights are great for preventing collsions, tell that to the tractor truck driver who rammed me into a bridge @ 60 mph in the middle of day, while I was driving my work car with DRLs, his words excatly, "i never seen you in that lane"

also, the whole point of me disabling the DRL is so you can add HIDs to the galant, you cant have DRL and HIDs. The DRL it will kill/fry the HIDs; I had a post about my HID install but somehow the thread got deleted last week!?! I guess some1 didnt like it.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    thanks you.
    -Pedro

axis8758
    Thanks for the write up......I have been looking for a work around for the DRL's on my wife's 9g. I wanted to ask about the 9006 plugs....Where did you buy them at?

Quote Originally Posted by LOST
    Daytime runnign lights are worthless, if some1 thinks DRLs help them in some sort of way; then they have been brainwashed by GM, the only time DRLs help you is when a person is an idiot and doesnt turn on their headlight during dusk, dawn, rain, fog, etc. Which are the times that you should fully turn on your headlights so ppl can see the rear of your car and not rear end you
    really? I guess the world disagrees with you, especially motorcycles (which have needed the headlight on for 20 years).

heres a small quote.

4. How effective are DRLs? Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes.1 A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes.2 In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes.3 A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.4

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in 9 U.S. states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.7 Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists.8

btw if you think daytime runnign lights are great for preventing accidents, tell that to the tractor truck driver who rammed me into a bridge @ 60 mph in the middle of day, while I was driving my work car with DRLs, his words excatly, "i never seen you in that lane"
    cant stop stupidity, now, can you?

also, the whole point of me disabling the DRL is so you can add HIDs to the galant, you cant have DRL and HIDs. The DRL it will kill/fry the HIDs; I had a post about my HID install but somehow the thread got deleted last week!?! I guess some1 didnt like it.
    HIDs arent really worth the cost of the upgrade, and are illegal anyway if not equipped from the factory.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    HID is defenately worth the money. I have it on my low beem and my aux fogs.

LOST
    I got the 9006 connectors at rallylights.com, great service there.

HIDs are worth it, as long as you have projectors like the GTS

halgeons
    http://home.comcast.net/~toddag/m5.JPG

HIDs
    http://home.comcast.net/~toddag/m2.JPG

There are always facts to support any side of any argument
    of course you can just go to the NHTSA study on DRL and find out the DRLs do not reduce accidents http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NC...00/DRL7_RPT.pdf page 24 if you dotn feel like reading all of it

and the world doesnt disagree with me, a search on how to disable DRLs will show how many ppl want and do turn of their DRL cause they see through the BS, DRLs show no statisticly signigant reduction of accidents, DRLs are for idiots who dont turn on their headlights when condtions warrant it (fog, rain, dusk, dawn, etc.)

the only thing that prevents collisions is safe driving and paying attention, if you cant pay attetnion enough in the daytime to "notice" a car in the the daytime without DRLs and require DRLs to help you notice a car driving in the daytime....then maybe that person should considering surrendering their driver license

and the reason motorcycles need to have their headlights on is because ppl DONT pay attention when they are driving and pull out in front of cycles or cut them off cause stupid drivers dont look

btw, go drive onto a military base @ night with your DRLs and c how much sh*t you get gogin throguh the guard post

ps, im not tryign to start a flame war or anything, i have just have my opinion and I am trying to offer a solution to, what I feel, and many others feel, is an annoying feature; and after I get a secodn headlight swicth and crack it open and locate the trigger wire in there(hopefully it has 12 volts) ill come up with a solution that allows some1 to drive with their parkign lights on without headlights.
    and my next thing to tackle is a a micro relay of some sort that will autolock the doors when u shift the car into gear, my last 2 cars had that and I miss it; feels like im driving my 1st car again and i have to get into a habit of lockign the doors when I get into my car

I
    and the world doesnt disagree with me, a search on how to disable DRLs will show how many ppl want and do turn of their DRL cause they see through the BS, DRLs show no statisticly signigant reduction of accidents, DRLs are for idiots who dont turn on their headlights when condtions warrant it (fog, rain, dusk, dawn, etc.)
    people disable DRLs for a lot of very stupid reasons.
    "i dont want my bulbs to burn out prematurely"... the cost of DRLs in bulbs adds about 3 bucks a year.
    "I dont want to cause a constant power draw.. the battery may go dead".
    this, of course, is just stupid.
    "DRLs dont save anything". This is a fact, and even if it DOESNT, leaving the lights on causes no increase in accidents.
    the only thing that prevents collisions is safe driving and paying attention, if you cant pay attetnion enough in the daytime to "notice" a car in the the daytime without DRLs and require DRLs to help you notice a car driving in the daytime....then maybe that person should considering surrendering their driver license
    accidents happen even to people who DO pay attention. you do not have eyes in the back of your head, and ANYTHING that helps is a good thing

and the reason motorcycles need to have their headlights on is because ppl DONT pay attention when they are driving and pull out in front of cycles or cut them off cause stupid drivers dont look
    the exact same reason to have them on in a car.
    btw, go drive onto a military base @ night with your DRLs and c how much sh*t you get gogin throguh the guard post
    dont really care what a bunch of jugheads care about my daytime running lights.
    ps, im not tryign to start a flame war or anything, i have just have my opinion and I am trying to offer a solution to, what I feel, and many others feel, is an annoying feature; and after I get a secodn headlight swicth and crack it open and locate the trigger wire in there(hopefully it has 12 volts) ill come up with a solution that allows some1 to drive with their parkign lights on without headlights.
    and my next thing to tackle is a a micro relay of some sort that will autolock the doors when u shift the car into gear, my last 2 cars had that and I miss it; feels like im driving my 1st car again and i have to get into a habit of lockign the doors when I get into my car
    not trying to start one either... but my opinion is obviously very different from yours. As a motorcycle rider, Im QUITE aware of the advantage of having lights on all the time. And since having them on in a car basically has no disadvantages at all, I see no reason whatsoever to eliminate them.
    by the way, your link actualy shows DRLs to have a "statistically significant decrease" in certain types of accidents.

LOST
    your are still not getting it, some people...gasp, do not want DRLs, kinda of liek a seatbelt argument, dont tell me wtf to do, how do u like wearing ur helmet? do u liek being told that you have to wear your helmet? I am pretty sure that you are aware that all a helmut does in a high speed crash is keep your brains in a neat package for the medics to find.

do you want to know why the US doesnt have it mandatory to have DRLs, cause of that study i linked showing the majority of collisions, there is no signifgant decrease with or without DRL use, the odds ratio is the important % which shows no signifgant benefit of DRLs.
    there is no such thing as an accident, 5 years of police work and i have yet to see an accident, i see plenty of collisions which are preventable if some1 doesnt do somethign stupid, an accident is where truly there was nothing that could be done to prevent it.

btw drls suc for a lot of reasons
    they are shining into a house at the end of a street or tee intersection
    they are shining at a pedestrian
    You are sitting with the engine running on the side of the road, in someone's driveway, etc
    when you turn around in the middle of the night, it's polite to turn off ur headlights so u dont wake up the person who is sleeping
    you cant use them with HIDs
    they decrease gas mileage, about $50-100 in gas a year with todays gas prices, GM disconnects there DRLs for gas mileage studys done by the epa for fuel eco tests

and i guess u never worked a guard post and get blinded by in coming traffic even though the signs clearly state to turn of your headlights while approaching a guard post

Don't use incompetence on the part of some drivers as an excuse to justify DRLs; because all DRLs are for, are for the idiots who dont know how to turn on their headlights when road condtions warrants there use, period and if you cant see a MV or a motorcycle driving down the road in the middle of the day unless it has it's headlights on, then you shouldn't be driving.

your are still not getting it, some people...gasp, do not want DRLs, kinda of liek a seatbelt argument, dont tell me wtf to do, how do u like wearing ur helmet? do u liek being told that you have to wear your helmet? I am pretty sure that you are aware that all a helmut does in a high speed crash is keep your brains in a neat package for the medics to find.
    of course not. I sometimes wear one, sometimes dont. But I DO see the need for the arguement. states with helmet laws have dramatic decreases in motorcycle fatalities.
    I see your point, but DRLs are nothing at all like wearing helmets. They really dont interfere with anything. At most, they could be a minor irritant.

do you want to know why the US doesnt have it mandatory to have DRLs, cause of that study i linked showing the majority of collisions, there is no signifgant decrease with or without DRL use, the odds ratio is the important % which shows no signifgant benefit of DRLs.
    there is no such thing as an accident, 5 years of police work and i have yet to see an accident, i see plenty of collisions which are preventable if some1 doesnt do somethign stupid, an accident is where truly there was nothing that could be done to prevent it.
    Ill agree with that last sentance, also.. But you seem to forget that MOST people on the road are bad drivers. Easily distracted, too busy doing crap like gabbing on cell phones, etc.etc.
    If my DRLs keep ME from getting hit by a meathead, Im all for them.

btw drls suc for a lot of reasons
    they are shining into a house at the end of a street or tee intersection
    they are shining at a pedestrian
    You are sitting with the engine running on the side of the road, in someone's driveway, etc
    when you turn around in the middle of the night, it's polite to turn off ur headlights so u dont wake up the person who is sleeping
    you cant use them with HIDs
    they decrease gas mileage, about $50-100 in gas a year with todays gas prices, GM disconnects there DRLs for gas mileage studys done by the epa for fuel eco tests
    those reasons are silly. First off, the lights are NOT as bright as the headlights. the second reason actually has decreased pedestrian accidents by about 30 percent. the third reason may have some validity, but you CAN shut them off by turning off the key.
    and they dont decrease milage.
    and i guess u never worked a guard post and get blinded by in coming traffic even though the signs clearly state to turn of your headlights while approaching a guard post
    nope... I havent. But they'll cope.
    Don't use incompetence on the part of some drivers as an excuse to justify DRLs; because all DRLs are for, are for the idiots who dont know how to turn on their headlights when road condtions warrants there use, period and if you cant see a MV or a motorcycle driving down the road in the middle of the day unless it has it's headlights on, then you shouldn't be driving.
    well, as soon as you can remove all incompetant people from the road, Ill completely agree with the fact that DRLs arent smart.
    fact is, ANYTHING that helps decrease accidents is a good thing. People said the same thing about ABS, traction control, stability control, etc.etc. But they all do help, whether or not its from "incompetant drivers" or good drivers.

LOST
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/cd9402.pdf

"...DRL operation results in some power consumption, fuel economy testing with the lights on would result in a slight, but measurable, decrease in Corporate Average Fuel Economy"

but anyway, this is gettign ridiculous, we're gogin to have to agree to disagree. besides this is a thread about how-to disable DRLs, not on their validity.

Actually that document is just showing that the manufacturers are whining about the potential of fuel economy hits from DRLs. Further down it says

"..the emissions impact of the DRL system is likely to be insignificant.."

Which would be logical. I doubt you could measure the loss of fuel economy due to DRLs yourself, you'd likely never notice so using that as an argument seems sophistry.

--------
    Disclaimer: I don't give a darn about DRLs but I think the write up is cool, it's good to have options. Just commenting on the report

LOST
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually that document is just showing that the manufacturers are whining about the potential of fuel economy hits from DRLs. Further down it says "..the emissions impact of the DRL system is likely to be insignificant.." Â*
    </div>

What do emissions have to do with fuel economy? two different things

umm actually the document states it as a fact that DRL hits fuel economy

"In particular, there was a concern that since DRL operation results in some power consumption, fuel economy testing with the lights on would result in a slight, but measurable, decrease in Corporate Average Fuel Economy" sounds like a fact to me.

If your lookign for the word potential in that document its said in relation to the potential safety benefits of DRL operation...."Appeals were made to the EPA to allow testing with the lights deactivated so manafacturers could promote potential safety benefits of the lights without incurring a CAFE penalty" btw CAFE is corporate average fuel economy.

would like specfic numbers?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm

"...To calculate how many gallons of gas this is, you can divide the 4.26 billion kilowatt hours of energy that the daytime running lights consume each year by the 10.5 kilowatt-hours of energy each gallon of gas yields. If daytime running lights were on all the vehicles in the U.S., we would burn an extra 406 million gallons of gas each year. That's only a couple gallons for each vehicle, but in total it is more than all of the vehicles in the country burn in a day. At $1.50 a gallon, that's $600 million per year. Looking at it another way, an extra 8 billion pounds of Carbon Dioxide would be added to the atmosphere...."

with todays gas prices thats 1 billion$$$ a year.

would u notice the difference on ur car? maybe, maybe not, lets use another example, if your in best buy, buying a washer maching or somethign liek that, 2 different models same price, same look, same specs, but one uses 10$ less a year in energy cost, ur prob going to buy the one that uses less energy, even though u wont notice the savings.

im not sayign for every1 to turn off their DRLs, do what ever u want to ur car, slap stickers all over it, tint ur windows so dark so a cop cant see into them when he is stoppign you, put a gaint whale spolier on ur trunk, spray paint ur dash to ur body color....

like i said, i just posted a how-to on disabling ur DRL if you wanted to do that, mainly if ur adding HIDs u need to turn off ur DRLs. this is not a thread on if DRLs are good or not

cape97
    hey LOST, you have a pic of the 9006 harness and you had 2 wires saying "post 30 of relay" and post 87 of relay"...I dont understand...is that the one that goes to the marker lights? or fuse? please explain...thanks mang!

cape97
    IT WORKED!!!!!!! Lost's method worked!!! so I ended up buying my HID kit from F1spec and they gave me a harness for free!!! then I sent LOST's diagram to my installer and IT WORKED!!! I will be posting pics soon and not only for the car but also the way the install was done...it was professionally done....if you guys wanna buy HID kit for <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>$235</span> including harness...lemme know!!! I got connections!!! thanks!

Rising_Suns
    In case anyone doesn't want to go through the trouble of fabricating your own wiring harness/relay, you can buy a relay for $25 here;

http://www.thexenonstore.com/relay.php

1 wire goes to your battery, 1 ground, 2 to your headlights, and 1 taps in to a switching source (like your parking lights). Simple as that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast