The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A workaround to disable DRL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 39 of 39
    did anyone figure out how to have the taillights on with out the headlights? i wana hook up my fogs so they can come on with conner lights when i want
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Rising_Suns
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Its Reu)</div><div class='quotemain'>did anyone figure out how to have the taillights on with out the headlights? i wana hook up my fogs so they can come on with conner lights when i want</div>

With relays (such as the one pictured above), you can in theory use any switching source you want. You are not limited to the parking lights as your switch source (since it's not a power source, it's only a switch).

-Davide

If the military base is giving you any grief (which I call BS on) then tell them to take it up with Mitsubishi as they are on all the time.

They are low cycle lights, bright enough where you can see the car but not bright enough to blind someone.

The gas mileage difference, don't make me laugh too hard...wooo I bet significant to them is 1/4-1/2 City MPG at maximum. If you’re THAT worried about gas mileage tear your A/C out, your P/S out, your radio, anything electronic and you’ll save at most a MPG…

Now let's talk about HID's, every damn last one of them blinds me as I'm going down the road that's aftermarket or changed from jspec...why because the car's are on the other side of the road over there so the cut off/angle pattern is different than US - Spec. There's a reason why they need to be D.O.T. Cert, so they don't blind people.
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS - 3.8L V6 - "The G" - 14.62 @ 95.52

”Sticks impress high-school kids, autos win races” – Unknown

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Greek

Now let's talk about HID's, every damn last one of them blinds me as I'm going down the road that's aftermarket or changed from jspec...why because the car's are on the other side of the road over there so the cut off/angle pattern is different than US - Spec. There's a reason why they need to be D.O.T. Cert, so they don't blind people.
    what ya talking about? hids in cars with projectors or non projectors? other cars or the galant 9th gen? es,ls, or gts?

Rising_Suns
    I would say, the reason why they blind you is not because of the cut-off angle of the lens--which can be adjusted btw--but because of the type of bulb they bought. The higher the operating tempteraure of the bulb, the more glare you will see (longer wavelength of light diffuses more), regardless of the lens, or lack thereof.

There is a tendency to think that more is better. So it's easy to think that a 8,000K HID kit is better than a factory 4,300K. But this is not the case with HID. The light output decreases the higher the temperature Kelvin (K), and will strain your eyes on long drives. That's why it's good to stick close to a 4300K bulb.

I would personally not go higher than 6000K (a 6000K bulb usually looks slightly purple, simialr to the color of the factory audi/bmw HID's, but not quite as bright). Anything higher than 6000K will glare too much and not put enough light on the road (it's much too blue for my taste as well). Even 6000K bulbs will get tiring on long drives, which is why I like to use my yellow fog lights in conjunction with the HID's; together the purple and yellow mix to make a more soothing and tolerable range of light for long drives.

No these guys are driving around with the white HID's blinding me, not blue at all.

Rising_Suns
    No these guys are driving around with the white HID's blinding me, not blue at all.
    you sure they're not just high beams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Suns
    Very possible but they need to go back to the DMV if they don't know the high's are different than thet lows...

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Suns
    Very possible but they need to go back to the DMV if they don't know the high's are different than thet lows...
    If your talking about other cars too then yes. Unfortunately, people do use HIDs on non projector headlights and thats why they blind the incoming traffic.

Rising_Suns
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Greek)</div><div class='quotemain'>Very possible but they need to go back to the DMV if they don't know the high's are different than thet lows...</div>

I don't think high beams are meant to be used with oncoming traffic, due to the angle and brigthness of the light. Not only are they brighter, but they are often angled upwards to spread the light out more.

Those kids should not be leaving their high beams on in the middle of traffic. Doing so puts themsevles at risk, as well as the safety of those around them.

Ok I got how to wire the DRL to the parking lights so that when you turn on your parking lights, the headlights come on. What if i wanted to keep the parking lights the way they are. Is there a way that I can wire the DRL lights to only come on when I actually turn it to the lights from the light switch? What wire do I use and where?
    2004 Galant LS

any body wid an answer?
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by LOST
    Hooking a simple automotive relay that triggers off of your tailights WILL DISABLE your DRL when you drive with your headlight swicth in the 'off postion' (i just got finished testing it); however, when u turn on just your 'tailight on' swicth, your DRL will activate with your tails but, turn the lever all the way to: 'headlights on', and you get your lowbeams at full power, another plus is your lowbeams will stay on when you turn on your high beams, and turn the headlight stalk swicth to back to 'off' and all lights go off.
    no dummy lights come up, no high beam on light (unless u turn on your highs) no error codes, turn signals still work cause they run off a different wire
    Ill make diagrams and take pics, the way I did it requires No permantent alteration to your wiring :-) im actually thinking of making a harness that plugs into the low beams and turn signal sockets
    Im trying to locate the wire that controls the headlight trigger in the column, unfortunatly its in a bad spot on the steering column and would require micro-sodering to tap into the terminal, stupid mitiso, it might be just a lot less hassle just to run the relay off the tailights, at least you can drive around with no lights on, just cant have tailights only, its all lights on or nutin
    On the non-projector 9G lights I noticed there are 3 wires, is one of them the DRL? can I just snip it and get it over with? Thanks for a great write up.

I personally was thinking about this whole thing while messing with my car one day...

The DRL only come on when the ignition turns on, so all you need to do is find a wiring diagram and clip the wire that tells the relay/switch that there's power + ground going to it and problem solved...it never sees that the car is on so you never have to worry about DRL.

Quote Originally Posted by gc86
    On the non-projector 9G lights I noticed there are 3 wires, is one of them the DRL? can I just snip it and get it over with? Thanks for a great write up.
    On the non projected 9g lights, there is only one bulb for low/high beam thus explains 3 wires.

low,high,ground.

I personally was thinking about this whole thing while messing with my car one day...

The DRL only come on when the ignition turns on, so all you need to do is find a wiring diagram and clip the wire that tells the relay/switch that there's power + ground going to it and problem solved...it never sees that the car is on so you never have to worry about DRL.
    any luck with this?
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    On the non projected 9g lights, there is only one bulb for low/high beam thus explains 3 wires.

low,high,ground.
    Oh yeah! duh :oops: hehehehe

Came across this....

http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/t16735-da...ning-lights.htm

Ok. Here's a pic of the pin you need to bend (or remove) to disable Daytime Running Lights on Galants (and Eclipses). This module (known as the Front ECU Module) is under the hood, inside the fuse box, on the driver side. If you're not sure, look in the manual. Remove the Front ECU, and open it carefully using a flat screwdriver. You can "pop" the white snaps on the black metal part (it's a chip cooler) to completely access the pins, and remove the bottom cover (black plastic). Bend the second last (or 1st) of the SMALL pin connector. Re-assemble, and voila!

P.S. Please be careful. And do not sue me if something happens. You're a grown up, assume the consequences. :P

off topic question to my fellow 9g owners as i just don't want to create a new thread. how long does your 9007 bulb last?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12