The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Questions about car stalling and sputtering...

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

Questions about car stalling and sputtering...

Whats up guys. Its been a while since Iv been active on the forum, having given my G to my younger brother, but Im back with a problem... My 93' SOHC recently (2months ago) began sputtering upon any reasonable level of acceleration. Unless you accelerate at grandma level, the car is very hesitant and begins to sputter and occasionally stall out. I raised the idle RPM on the car, and it no longer stalls. However, the sputtering nonsense continued, and I recently took the car to a mechanic. He creditted the problem to a dirty MAF sensor, which he then proceeded to clean. This essentially did nothing (partially because he did a really crappy job of cleaning the sensor). Well, anyway, I thoroughly cleaned out the throttle body and MAF sensor yesterday... and the car seems to run fine for about the first two minutes of operation. It runs perfectly with no hesitation during light, medium, and even hard acceleration... but then for no reason after about two minutes, its goes back to sounding like a kid who stutters real bad trying to say madagascar. I dont know what to think???? Since basically everything as far as gettin air to the engine is concerned seems fine, do you guys think its a fuel problem? Maybe a bad fuel pump?

So... if anyone has any idea at all about what you think the problem could be, any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Also... does anyone know if theres a way to manually adjust the air/fuel mixture entering the engine? I was thinking I would intentionally set it a little bit rich to see if the problem was a lack of gasoline reaching the engine.

00' Diamante LS
    93' Galant n/a (gave to my bro)

Well, I'll answer that one for myself.... a bad set of spark plug wires was the culprit here. The stupid, cheap, low-quality wires I had in there had just broken apart and had the spark plugs bogged down in a bunch of engine oil. After changing the spark plugs and the spark plug wires the car runs perfectly. I actually changed them more than a week ago, and so far so good. So, just incase anyone has the same problem I had, who knows... check the spark plugs and spark plug wires.

00' Diamante LS
    93' Galant n/a (gave to my bro)