The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: hitting 70 thousand miles

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    7G RPM EDITION

hitting 70 thousand miles

i need to replace my belts but can anyone give me a list of every thing else i should replace at the same time. i have a 1998 galant es dohc 4g64 4 cylinder. i want to get it all over with. one trip to mechanic

It would probably be a good idea to replace your water pump.

How do you have a DOHC? Did you do the swap?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    all drive belts and water pump
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

7G RPM EDITION
    i didnt do the swap but i am pretty sure it is a dohc. i got the estimate to replace all belts, water pump and cam seals. $654.99. do you guys think thats a good price or should i shop around some more. it seems high to me

Proto
    only the 94 GS came in DOHC

7G RPM EDITION
    i must be wrong about the dohc then. i was told by someone thats what i had

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(7G RPM EDITION)</div><div class='quotemain'>i didnt do the swap but i am pretty sure it is a dohc. i got the estimate to replace all belts, water pump and cam seals. $654.99. do you guys think thats a good price or should i shop around some more. it seems high to me</div>

A friend and I did mine for just the price of parts, but I got a quote before we did it of $800 from a shop.

Russian7G
    I paid less than $300 for labor at the local Chrysler dealership (they know 4G6x engines). All the parts were mine, but most of them were avaliable through Chrysler parts department. Got water pump, all the belts (timing, balance and acc.) all the front seals and all the tensioners/pulleys changed.

I'm over 196,000 miles with the original water pump on my '96 and all is well. Definately do the belts and the pulleys that are associated with the timing belts.

water pump isnt needed unless leaking, which they dont commonly do (unless you have a TON of miles).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>water pump isnt needed unless leaking, which they dont commonly do (unless you have a TON of miles).</div>

well ive got that leaky one... just hit 90k miles too. my car wasnt cared for until i got it though. :?

<span style="color:#000000">1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Premium</span>

rainfever
    i think its asking for trouble to not replace the water pump. Granted, you may get away with it, but whats the point if it does break and cause more problems.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Well...usually if you do radiator flushes when needed a water pump usually last a pretty long time. What usually goes bad in water pumps is the propeller and seals but if you keep the coolant fresh they'll last.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well...usually if you do radiator flushes when needed a water pump usually last a pretty long time. What usually goes bad in water pumps is the propeller and seals but if you keep the coolant fresh they'll last.</div>

yup... my seals are bad thus the leaking. dammit.

<span style="color:#000000">1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Premium</span>

theblackpearl
    hmm i have over 70k on my g and havent replaced the water pump yet...come to think of it i havent really repaced much of anything yet..everything is still going strong..knock on wood...but i think i should look into doing it soon..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rainfever)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think its asking for trouble to not replace the water pump. Â*Granted, you may get away with it, but whats the point if it does break and cause more problems.</div>

if you maintain your car, most last the life of it.