The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: :?: Trans fluid...

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

:?: Trans fluid...

Gettin my trans fluid replaced at the dealer today. 90k miles. I hope the filter's clean. They say they cant replace the filter unless they drop the trans and take it apart. I doubt the fluids ever been changed in my car...

Anyway, you guys think this is the route to go? Also havin them look at a coolant leak on the front of the engine block. Idiots at Mitsu built a car with pressed metal fittings on an expanding/contracting metal part! I cant believe it! Not even a freakin rubber o-ring on it...

<span style="color:#000000">1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Premium</span>

Re: :?: Trans fluid...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>They say they cant replace the filter unless they drop the trans and take it apart.</div>
    All I had to do to replace the filter was loosen the tranny fluid pan under the tranny and unbolt it and swap it with the new one. What you talkin' about they have to "drop the trans and take it apart."?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ArtyG)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>They say they cant replace the filter unless they drop the trans and take it apart.</div>
    All I had to do to replace the filter was loosen the tranny fluid pan under the tranny and unbolt it and swap it with the new one. What you talkin' about they have to "drop the trans and take it apart."?</div>

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW That dealer ships employes are idiots!!!!!!!! Why the F**K would you have to drop the Tranny!? Crazy stuff.

P.S. I would say just do it yourself, at least as far as changing the tranny fluid and filter go. Its easy enough.

on the newer mitsu's you have the non serviceable tranny filter. meaning you can't change it unless you open up the tranny but on the older mitsu's you can change it.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Hmm interesting... I thought it would be the same for all. None the less he does have a 7G.

Just got back from the dealer. They changed the fluid... $47 so it wasnt too bad. 30 minutes of labor and like $12 in parts for the fluid. Besides I got to drive a new Eclipse. Man what a ride! And that freakin stereo! 560 watts... whoo... Anyways I guess Ill have to change the filter myself. I wanna run some clean trans oil in there for a while anyway and then change it out again. Any drawbacks to changing it too often?

They said my water pump is leaking. I dont believe them. Its the metal tube on the front of the eng. block. Ive seen it leak myself. Ah well. Idiots.

yeah they'll try to scam you and make you pay for all the parts and labor and not even fix the problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhunter)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah they'll try to scam you and make you pay for all the parts and labor and not even fix the problem.</div>

Oh, I checked and the fluid is definitely new. It was just beginning to get a little brown to it. Thats why i decided to go ahead and change it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'> They say they cant replace the filter unless they drop the trans and take it apart. Â*
    </div>

Haha, I learned that the hard way. When I had my 01 Mirage, I opened up the tranny pan just to see that the filter was not inside the pan.

okay, they were probably talking about either of the last two gens of galants when referring to dropping the trans to get the filter out.
    on your trans, you can still take off the pan and get to it. Either you didnt tell them the year, or they made a small mistake.

regardless, the coolant leak probably IS the water pump. Its the only thing that EVER leaks on those cooling systems, unless you got a rock through the radiator.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>okay, they were probably talking about either of the last two gens of galants when referring to dropping the trans to get the filter out.
    on your trans, you can still take off the pan and get to it. Â* Either you didnt tell them the year, or they made a small mistake.

regardless, the coolant leak probably IS the water pump. Â*Its the only thing that EVER leaks on those cooling systems, unless you got a rock through the radiator.</div>

well first off they worked on the car and they are a freaking mitsu dealer so i would hope i wouldnt have to tell them the freaking year of the car and/or how to change my trans filter.

second, im like 90% sure its not the water pump because of where ive witnessed w/ my own eyes the leak coming from. its a 1" or so diameter tube molded into the front of the block. isnt the water pump a few inches above and forward of the block?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    second, im like 90% sure its not the water pump because of where ive witnessed w/ my own eyes the leak coming from. its a 1" or so diameter tube molded into the front of the block. isnt the water pump a few inches above and forward of the block?</div>

that pipe runs directly into the water pump. And the pipe itself wont leak, unless its so badly corroded that its got a hole eaten through it.
    A water pump leak will dribble onto that pipe, thus giving the illusion of it leaking.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>

that pipe runs directly into the water pump. Â*And the pipe itself wont leak, unless its so badly corroded that its got a hole eaten through it.
    A water pump leak will dribble onto that pipe, thus giving the illusion of it leaking.</div>

i took some stuff apart and had a look while i was trying to change my fuel filter... youre right. sorry for doubting. heh. anyway, i guess ill have to take the pump off/apart and inspect some seals. hopefully it doesnt mean a new pump!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>

that pipe runs directly into the water pump. Â*And the pipe itself wont leak, unless its so badly corroded that its got a hole eaten through it.
    A water pump leak will dribble onto that pipe, thus giving the illusion of it leaking.</div>

i took some stuff apart and had a look while i was trying to change my fuel filter... youre right. sorry for doubting. heh. anyway, i guess ill have to take the pump off/apart and inspect some seals. hopefully it doesnt mean a new pump!</div>

pumps ARENT rebuildable.
    at least not by the consumer. You WILL need a new pump.

probably will wanna do the timing belts and drive belts at that time, unless theyve been done recently.

my belts are good... timing and alt. belts are less than 1k mi old. i was hoping to avoid a whole new pump. ill have to start pricing... :x