The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Change synthetic oil ?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Change synthetic oil ?

How can u tell when u need to change the engine oil if its synthetic ? I know for regular oil u can check the odor and touch it if its rough.
    And the guy that changes my oil said even though i use synthetic i still should change it every 3k miles.

You can run synthetic for 5k.

there are a buncha of now high mileage synthetic oils. i run amsoil which is synthetic. the manufacturer claims you can change it in 1 year/25k mile intervals. of course i don't. i run that 7k miles max. mobil1 i run just the regular 3k max.

but yea, even if you are running the high mileage synthetic oil, is your filter high mileage too? probably not. and that there is your weakest link. even if the oil can last 5k, 7k, 100k whatever, having a clogged dirty oil filter is just as bad as not changing the oil period. something for you to think about.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

TGC lover
    i still do it at 3k miles

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    there are a buncha of now high mileage synthetic oils. i run amsoil which is synthetic. the manufacturer claims you can change it in 1 year/25k mile intervals. of course i don't. i run that 7k miles max. mobil1 i run just the regular 3k max.

but yea, even if you are running the high mileage synthetic oil, is your filter high mileage too? probably not. and that there is your weakest link. even if the oil can last 5k, 7k, 100k whatever, having a clogged dirty oil filter is just as bad as not changing the oil period. something for you to think about.
    Well i got 10k miles on my filter. They say u dont have to change it until 40k.
    But what i was more interested in was how to tell its time to change the synthetic oil.

thegalantdude
    I used to work in Jiffy lube. its 3 months or every 3k, whichever comes in first.

I go and change mine every 3K, and I even have synthetic: Quaker State "Q". But when I do mine I NEVER leave the oil filter in there, I mean if you're going to put fresh, new, expensive oil in there you might as well get a fresh new filter to keep the oil cleaner (I go with the FRAM oil filter too, been using them since I started working on cars..).
    MatrixRenagade

FRAM oil filters? Cheap, but they're the most proven in the market of oil filters man. Most of the cars I've worked on have had FRAM oil and fuel filters on them, like my 70 Chevelle, I just prefer them over all the others. No NAPA oil filters for me.. I think you can pick one up for 5-9 bucks man, and they flow better then just cheap-O oil filters.
    MatrixRenagade