The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: whats the deal with the ralliart 9g?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

whats the deal with the ralliart 9g?

anyone have any info if theyre gonna make a ralliart version of the 9g? i know RRE made a prototype ralliart version. but are they gonna be mass produced? i heard a rumor that they were gonna start making them for the 2006 production yr.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Isnt there a guy here that works for Mitsubishi? Im not sure but I think his screen name is something like Halo... or something like that. He was right about the SE version of the Galant before.

Also, Mitsubishi already has the Engine and Trans from the 4G Eclipse. All they have to do is put them on and some other stuff and theres your Ralliart version.

probably not gonna happen. too much money to invest for too little return.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>probably not gonna happen. Â*too much money to invest for too little return.</div>

Now if they just sell the parts and the owner puts them in as a customizer. Oh well, back to sanding my interior pieces...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>probably not gonna happen. Â*too much money to invest for too little return.</div>

Well, the 4G eclipse GT has the 260HP 3.8 Mivec engine with a 6 speed trans same specs as the RalliArt concept car. Im not sure but i think that the 9G galant, 4G eclipse, and the endeavor has the same frame or close to it. Since all are built in Normal, Illinois, They should just be able to put that 4G engine/6 speed trans to the 9G. The only thing that is probably stoping them from using the 4G engine is they had made plenty of the 230hp 3.8l engines for the 9G and the endeavor. I think they should make it kinda like the evolution has the MR version.

i was reading this month's sport compact car issue and it says that the 2007 ralliart version of the 9g is going to be released this summer. 3.8L, SOHC, v6, 258 hp, 5speed sportronic automatic

Saw it at the NY auto show.. that chrome shit on the front end is fuggen ugly.. they should have left the old grill on it.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    i was reading this month's sport compact car issue and it says that the 2007 ralliart version of the 9g is going to be released this summer. 3.8L, SOHC, v6, 258 hp, 5speed sportronic automatic
    yep, it IS happening.. Just not as cool as the show car.

basically, its the eclipse driveline (3.8 mivec, 5 speed auto) with other gadgets like the 650 watt rockford stereo, navigation, etc.

Rising_Suns
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    basically, its the eclipse driveline (3.8 mivec, 5 speed auto) with other gadgets like the 650 watt rockford stereo, navigation, etc.
    5-speed auto? That would be nice. 4 speeds doesn't make sense to me. I guess it's a cost thing.

-Davide

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Suns
    5-speed auto? That would be nice. 4 speeds doesn't make sense to me. I guess it's a cost thing.

-Davide
    its funny, but mitsu has had 5 speed autos in almost EVERYTHING overseas since 96. in fact, the transmissions you all have in your cars from 99 on were DESIGNED as a 5 speed, with a gear removed. why does north america only get 4 speeds for the last decade? I have no idea, but I think its because your average north american consumer couldnt care less about the mechanical part of their cars. 99 percet just sit in their autos, with a cell phone in one hand, a 64 oz "slurpy" in the other, reading the paper, driving by themself in the H.O.V lane.
    all they know is that if you step on the right pedal, the car goes forward, and step on the left to stop.

TGC Regular
    Thats why everything gets dumb down when they come over here, even the damn video games.

Kenjuro
    Anybody here gonna buy a 07 Ralliart G???

Rising_Suns
    its funny, but mitsu has had 5 speed autos in almost EVERYTHING overseas since 96. in fact, the transmissions you all have in your cars from 99 on were DESIGNED as a 5 speed, with a gear removed. why does north america only get 4 speeds for the last decade? I have no idea, but I think its because your average north american consumer couldnt care less about the mechanical part of their cars. 99 percet just sit in their autos, with a cell phone in one hand, a 64 oz "slurpy" in the other, reading the paper, driving by themself in the H.O.V lane.
    all they know is that if you step on the right pedal, the car goes forward, and step on the left to stop.
    Yeah, it seems like other auto makers are hopping on the same 4-speed bandwagon as well. Heck, even the '06 GT0--with 400 HP--has a 4-speed auto. You know what that does to the gas milage? From the people I've talked to, the automatics are getting about 17~22 mpg, whereas the manuals are getting 23-27mpg. That's huge; all due to an undersized 4th gear in the autos.

Fortunately, the 4th gear in our Galants isn't quite as bad. But if we did have 5 gears, then our 5th gear could have a higher ratio, improving the gas milage even more.

-Davide

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Suns

Yeah, it seems like other auto makers are hopping on the same 4-speed bandwagon as well. Heck, even the '06 GT0--with 400 HP--has a 4-speed auto. You know what that does to the gas milage? From the people I've talked to, the automatics are getting about 17~22 mpg, whereas the manuals are getting 23-27mpg. That's huge; all due to an undersized 4th gear in the autos.

Fortunately, the 4th gear in our Galants isn't quite as bad. But if we did have 5 gears, then our 5th gear could have a higher ratio, improving the gas milage even more.

-Davide
    actually, the actual 4th gear (or whatever top gear) of the trans has little to do with overall milage. The reason the 5 speed auto gets better milage than the 4 speed auto is that the PCM can keep the engine in its most efficient powerband much easier. The overall ratio spread is much more usable.
    In the case of the mitsu 5 speed, the top gear is exactly the same in the 5 speed auto as the 4 speed auto. The other 4 gears are lower (especially 1st), and the final drive is higher to allow for lower RPMs in top gear but still allow for a lower overall ratio spread.

An example is this.. Only the montero in this country has had the 5 speed for a while (since 2000). the cheaper version of the montero had the 4 speed in it. whilst both transmissions are basically identical (the 4 speed basically has a gearset yanked out of it, with 90 percent of the parts being interchangable), the ratio spread on the 5 speed is much greater.
    here are the ratios for the 4 and 5 speeds in the montero (the front driver transaxles are nearly indentical).

now, the 4 speed has an axle ratio of 4.636 to 1
    the 5 speed has an axle ratio of 4.3 to 1.

do the math, and you get this:
    the 4 speed has a ratio spread of 13.18 to 3.388 to one
    the 5 speed has a ratio spread of 16.29 to 3.14 to one. So the 5 speed has a MUCH larger spread of ratios, making it much easier on the engine to keep it in a usedful powerband, whilst at the same time making it perform better, AND get better milage.

the new 6 speed in the outlander (coming out in fall) has even a WIDER spread of ratios... making it the most useful of all for this stuff.

Rising_Suns
    actually, the actual 4th gear (or whatever top gear) of the trans has little to do with overall milage. The reason the 5 speed auto gets better milage than the 4 speed auto is that the PCM can keep the engine in its most efficient powerband much easier. The overall ratio spread is much more usable.
    In the case of the mitsu 5 speed, the top gear is exactly the same in the 5 speed auto as the 4 speed auto. The other 4 gears are lower (especially 1st), and the final drive is higher to allow for lower RPMs in top gear but still allow for a lower overall ratio spread.

An example is this.. Only the montero in this country has had the 5 speed for a while (since 2000). the cheaper version of the montero had the 4 speed in it. whilst both transmissions are basically identical (the 4 speed basically has a gearset yanked out of it, with 90 percent of the parts being interchangable), the ratio spread on the 5 speed is much greater.
    here are the ratios for the 4 and 5 speeds in the montero (the front driver transaxles are nearly indentical).

now, the 4 speed has an axle ratio of 4.636 to 1
    the 5 speed has an axle ratio of 4.3 to 1.

do the math, and you get this:
    the 4 speed has a ratio spread of 13.18 to 3.388 to one
    the 5 speed has a ratio spread of 16.29 to 3.14 to one. So the 5 speed has a MUCH larger spread of ratios, making it much easier on the engine to keep it in a usedful powerband, whilst at the same time making it perform better, AND get better milage.

the new 6 speed in the outlander (coming out in fall) has even a WIDER spread of ratios... making it the most useful of all for this stuff.
    Excellent info.

Yes, I noticed the poor powerband on the 4-speed auto, most noticably around 60mph.

At ~45mph, 2nd gear feels strong, and at ~75mph 3rd gear feels strong. But at ~60 mph, there is just no power there.

-Davide

The 2.3L Mazda3 had the 5 speed automatic when I test drove it, you defintley stay in the power band a lot more, but difference wise 0-60 and the likes I'm sure there is none...5th gear is basically overdrive...1:1 ratio in most instances, sometimes as low as .70
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS - 3.8L V6 - "The G" - 14.62 @ 95.52

”Sticks impress high-school kids, autos win races” – Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjuro
    I will.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjuro
    I will.
    :thumbsup:

GPTourer
    actually, the actual 4th gear (or whatever top gear) of the trans has little to do with overall milage. The reason the 5 speed auto gets better milage than the 4 speed auto is that the PCM can keep the engine in its most efficient powerband much easier.
    Great info, thanks. Honda puts 5 speed autos in everything, from the lowly Fit on up through the Odyssey and Pilot. And they boast the most fuel effecient lineup in the U.S. I wish Mitsu could get on that techno bandwagon, but I think they stuck with the 4speeds for cost and warranty purposes.

Anyway, the RalGal got a favorable review on Edmunds:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=115407

I really think mitsub fucked up again by not having a manual version. 9th gen swap anyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast