The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G dyno session @ 182whp - pics and video

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 48
    wow looks good

edit: wow just heard about the accident sorry man.....
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Hole Crap...that really bites with the rear end accident Peano. If you stand back and look at it...its not that bad considering you elimated the rear crash bar at least the rear trunk apron didn't suffer too much.

Now to your Dyno session...those are pretty nice numbers and your power band is nice and linear. 8) I have seen MUCH worse...looks like the stock market at mid noon chart. You got me a bit more motivated to dyno my car matter of fact I called Central Florida Turbo yesterday to find out prices and scheduling for some dyno sessions. If you are pushing those numbers...I am pretty optimistic i'll be over the 210 HP/lb torque range :twisted: How much psi are you running again or are you running off the stock spring pressure of the factory wastegate? When did the "smoke" start appearing after you turbo'ed? Great job Peano :thumbsup:

BTW: I heard it on the dyno session and even when you first posted video after you turbo'ed and I am also getting the "clicking" noise. I thought I busted some CV joints but mine are perfectly fine. Have you figured out what the hell is making that noise?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hole Crap...that really bites with the rear end accident Peano. If you stand back and look at it...its not that bad considering you elimated the rear crash bar at least the rear trunk apron didn't suffer too much.

Now to your Dyno session...those are pretty nice numbers and your power band is nice and linear. 8) I have seen MUCH worse...looks like the stock market at mid noon chart. You got me a bit more motivated to dyno my car matter of fact I called Central Florida Turbo yesterday to find out prices and scheduling for some dyno sessions. If you are pushing those numbers...I am pretty optimistic i'll be over the 210 HP/lb torque range :twisted: How much psi are you running again or are you running off the stock spring pressure of the factory wastegate? When did the "smoke" start appearing after you turbo'ed? Â*Great job Peano :thumbsup:

BTW: I heard it on the dyno session and even when you first posted video after you turbo'ed and I am also getting the "clicking" noise. I thought I busted some CV joints but mine are perfectly fine. Have you figured out what the hell is making that noise?</div>

i'm just running off the stock wastegate @ 8psi. the smoke's been there since day one. it's gotten a little worse but it's been the same for several weeks now. it's only directly after heavy boost, never during. after i let off the pedal after some heavy throttle, 1-2 seconds later the plume will show up for about a second or two depending on how long i was on the gas for.

still can't find the clicking's source. i thought it was my cv boots but i can tell it's not. it used to be really bad right after the turbo install, but it's a lot quieter now. you have to listen for it now, it's not apparent anymore.

i'm going back to the dyno for a full tuning session after i get my fpr on and get a new fuel filter. maybe i can break my torque through the 200 barrier.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

atta boy...

i know you can do it. with some porting that little guy will defionatly take you over the barrier

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    clicking, hmmm, does it only click under boost? or does it click all the time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>clicking, hmmm, does it only click under boost? or does it click all the time.</div>

anytime i'm at 2psi or higher

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    i guess my next question would be.. does this clicking get faster as the rpms go up, then, when you shift to the next gear it goes away and then comes back after boost, getting faster again. and the same process again trough all gears.

I would think if this were the case, might it be an internal problem? Might check the intake area, since now you are forcing air into the cylinders, this might be more than your current setup can handle. might need to get some stronger valve springs, etc etc.

again i'm just guessing.. Did brandon have this same problem

it sounds pretty random to me. really strange. not at all like lifter tick. almost like a crackling

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i dont know, the head is only 50K miles old. it seems to be the loudest at the beggining of a pull, but then it sort of fades into silence as the rpms rise.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i'm just running off the stock wastegate @ 8psi. the smoke's been there since day one. it's gotten a little worse but it's been the same for several weeks now. it's only directly after heavy boost, never during. after i let off the pedal after some heavy throttle, 1-2 seconds later the plume will show up for about a second or two depending on how long i was on the gas for. Â*
    </div>

I think it may be water/coolant seeping into your cylinders..you may have a slightly bad headgasket. Not sure if you replaced the head or its the original head when you got the car...it either wasn't torqued correctly or its just gotten bad over time and wasn't noticable when it was N/A but under forced induction it may of given. I noticed in your last post you said your head was 50K miles old...was it replaced? If so...did you use a OEM or a cheapo aftermarket headgasket? I hope it was torqued down correctly...if not that could ruin a headgasket too. Does the smoke have a hint of a coolant smell?

he's reading near perfect compression numbers.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i'm just running off the stock wastegate @ 8psi. the smoke's been there since day one. it's gotten a little worse but it's been the same for several weeks now. it's only directly after heavy boost, never during. after i let off the pedal after some heavy throttle, 1-2 seconds later the plume will show up for about a second or two depending on how long i was on the gas for. Â*
    </div>

I think it may be water/coolant seeping into your cylinders..you may have a slightly bad headgasket. Not sure if you replaced the head or its the original head when you got the car...it either wasn't torqued correctly or its just gotten bad over time and wasn't noticable when it was N/A but under forced induction it may of given. I noticed in your last post you said your head was 50K miles old...was it replaced? If so...did you use a OEM or a cheapo aftermarket headgasket? I hope it was torqued down correctly...if not that could ruin a headgasket too. Does the smoke have a hint of a coolant smell?</div>

my balance shaft belt broke, and the belt was thrown into the path of my timing belt. so my timing belt broke and i threw timing off, and some valves got bent. i got the head rebuilt back when i was in high school, and i had the shop i used to work for do all the work because i didn't have any time. they never cut corners on any of the work so i dont think they would use a shitty gasket or forget to torque it down. the guys i used to work with were thorough.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

damn, matt sorry to hear all these probs your having. just recently found out about your fender bender, really sux.

If we rule out that its not a bad headgasket...then its probably the turbo going bad, probably a seal/o-ring on the turbo side. Either or...it looks like vapor from water/coolant. I am not sure how to test if its the turbo side...the only thing is disconnecting the coolant lines to the turbo side, but that wouldn't be good for the turbo.

that is a marvelous idea, i can't believe i didn't think of it.
    yeah probably turbo seals. most likely exhaust side. pull your o2 housing and look for oil. alos look for oil in the turbine inlet. no oil in the inlet but oil in the oulet and you know its the turbo seals. if you have oil in the inlet then its probably bad valve seals. then you check the manifold runners to see what cylinder has the bad seals.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

One of the VR4's I had did similar. Wouldnt put out any smoke at all normally, then it'd block the sun out after a run through the gears on decell.

Nailed it down to the catch can I'd installed, for some reason the engine didnt appreciate its lack of vacuum gas collection. Put the rocker cover breather back on the intake and things were fine.

I sold that car pretty quick
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)

interesting, i just put my catch can on, and it seems to have gotten a lot worse. still hapened before though.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I'm curious to see what you end up finding causes the issue.. Mine had good compression across the board, had great vacuum at idle, and had no noticable blowby out the rocker cover breather... It just seemed to burn off a whole lot of oil when you buttoned off after a decent run on boost. Figured it was obviously turbo related but couldnt see any major signs of oil in the intake tract... Unless it wasn't oil being burnt off afterall. Thing that confused me most was it only happened when I had a catch can on - like I said, if I put the breather hose back onto the intake, the problem dissapeared entirely. Almost like excess pressure inside the crankcase was forcing oil INTO the cylinders or something, and taking away the vacuum was enough to screw things up. Search me.

Cars are evil at times. I just got mine going again after killing an engine, only for my transfer case to blow in half at 60mph. I feel for ya dude
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)

Quote Originally Posted by ako
    I'm curious to see what you end up finding causes the issue.. Mine had good compression across the board, had great vacuum at idle, and had no noticable blowby out the rocker cover breather... It just seemed to burn off a whole lot of oil when you buttoned off after a decent run on boost. Figured it was obviously turbo related but couldnt see any major signs of oil in the intake tract... Unless it wasn't oil being burnt off afterall. Thing that confused me most was it only happened when I had a catch can on - like I said, if I put the breather hose back onto the intake, the problem dissapeared entirely. Almost like excess pressure inside the crankcase was forcing oil INTO the cylinders or something, and taking away the vacuum was enough to screw things up. Search me.

Cars are evil at times. I just got mine going again after killing an engine, only for my transfer case to blow in half at 60mph. I feel for ya dude
    wow. i disconnected my catch can and just had the breather line going to the ground. after a couple pulls today, the smoke is almost completely gone. i can only faintly see a little bit behind me, instead of the 4 second smoke display that usually happens. thanks for the suggestion ako

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Did you have your breather line routted back to the intake? If so, maybe your catch can isnt working right and some blow by is going through the turbo and burning up. Take off the intake pipe and look for some oil there or at the turbo inlet.
    7g for life!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast